I know it's possible, but I'm not sure how. I need several services to use one database. For instance, I need blogs,chat, and a forum to share a database so that when you sign up at one place, you are automatically signed up at all of them.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

To do this you need to design the database with one command table that handle all information required for diferent services. For example you will have a table_user to keep username, password, email, date etc for a user that can be used in blog, forum etc. You will then have one table for each of the feature, such as forum posts, forum topics, blog topic, chat etc.

It is not much special on the database side, but it is critical to program your script to query the databasea and table from different services. if you are using phpbb forum and xyz blog, then you can either modify the signup form of one of these to satisfy both services (one form for two services), or create a whole new registration form that cover the requirements of both services.

Thanks for the reply...

Ok, one more thing. If I have the forum database already going and really can't change anything in that, can I configure the tables for the blogs and chat since they haven't even been fooled with?

Also, is there a good tutorial that will show me some of the scripting and things I need to do?

Once again, thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

In the blog or chat script, you can point their database to the one store all forum's tables and change their table that hold account information to the forum one (so that account info is from one source). I not actually combine blog and forum together, but the concept should be the same.

I don't think there is any tutorial out there as this is a very customise 'project'. You may want to spend $100 or so to get a freelancer to do the job for you. Experience programer may take 3-5 days to complete the job. Try google 'freelancer'. Some site let you to accept bids from programmer that can do your job and may ended up very low cost.

All the best.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.