I need to design a website for music streaming. There will be a database of songs and the user can pick a song and listen to it. What database should I use and how should I store the songs on my server. I also need to have a very efficient search algo .
what database should I use ???

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That depends on how much you can afford to spend on your server and database. Any standard database will that for you.

I need to design a website for music streaming. There will be a database of songs and the user can pick a song and listen to it. What database should I use and how should I store the songs on my server. I also need to have a very efficient search algo .
what database should I use ???

I'm a fan of MySQL and have used it a fair bit. It's easily scaleable and normal SQL queries will give you the search facilities you need.

Best to simply store the songs within the server file system and record the file paths on the database.

What language(s) are you using for the site?

I am using php as my language . I too am a big fan of mysql . I just wanted to ask if I can use optimised search algos like hashing , indexing on it . If yes , please tell me how

how should I store my songs ... I have to work with atleast 10,000 songs. What format should I use?

I can't really comment any more there. See my earlier post.

you can use the following two methods.

1. Convert the songs file into binary format and store in DB (will consume a lot of space and retrieval will be slow)

2. Store the actual file in your desired format in file system in the and in the DB store the absolute / relative path of the file.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.