Hi,

Naina Gill Welcomes you in this thread.

Here all experts and newbies are invited.

It would be kind of experts that they extract out little time our of their busy schedule and guide those people who want to do something in games programming world. So disciples get ready for your guru. And all Gametech Guru's get ready to meet and treat their disciples.

So get started....

~c yaa~
*naina*

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

Do you actually have a question then? Because every question answered in any thread in any of these forums represents someone taking some time to guide someone else.

gosh gosh gosh....sry haan

first time did something in fourms...

not exactly familier wid fourms culture :D

mum

yup i have question......

games introduced me with 3d world...
and slowly ..slowly ...juss it get into my mind....ima 3d freak..... i wanna make 3d games....

n from years this thing is maa mind....even when im not playing games from preety good time...

but i juss donno...exactly what to do!!
which language would be most suitable for me??
n other things...

like from where to start!

which kinda software ...programming language i need...for a quality 3d animation...

which kinda physics study i must do before n things...

i know how much playful..chilling these 3d games are...they are exactly demanding in their making...

i am ready for a slow progress in learning ...but i want that i opt for the quality 3d making...

but but i donnnnoooo what to do!!!!

plz plz plz guide me.....

OMG Everybody wants to program games :) Game developers are a dime a dozen, so unless you are very very exceptional developer you should do something else.

At any event, how much programming experience do you have? None: Then spend a few years learning the trade and maybe you will be good enough to get into game development. Until then you can start out by making very simple games such as tick-tack-toe or something like that. But the most important thing you have to do is learn one or more programming languages. c, c++ and probably java are the three most important languages you need to learn very very well.

OMG Everybody wants to program games :) Game developers are a dime a dozen, so unless you are very very exceptional developer you should do something else.

At any event, how much programming experience do you have? None: Then spend a few years learning the trade and maybe you will be good enough to get into game development. Until then you can start out by making very simple games such as tick-tack-toe or something like that. But the most important thing you have to do is learn one or more programming languages. c, c++ and probably java are the three most important languages you need to learn very very well.

hey! i am familiar with programming enovirnment. in fact i teach some languages. i know c & c++ (of course not everthing in them...n i havnt reach graphics level)
i have tried java also..didnt like it. this much i also know...either u go for c n c++ or JAVA

n i have decided i wil never doooo java..

rest......im not gonna make any tick tack toe..game.............

i wanna a kool guidance ..which help me to be a dedicated 3d programmer
i dont wanna end up with frustration...

welll well well........i am familiar...with programming!!!!!!!!!
dont take me as a new bie...in programming world...

im new bie in 3d programming world...ok??

rest this much guidance is not enough that dooo c++ huh

me too can give such kinda guidance to anyone...
thats nota expert touch...that nota expert help....!

so anyone there??? who really wanna guide..instead of pulling my leg

in fact i teach some languages.

Do you teach in l33t-speak ? :icon_wink:
l33t is against the forum rules.

who really wanna guide..instead of pulling my leg

Ancient Dragon wasn't pulling your leg, he gave the best advice he could give you, because you didn't tell us anything about your background. To be very honest: a title like "wanna be games developer - but donno wht 2 do? " suggests that you are 16 years old and have no experience in programming whatsoever. So AD's response is very good actually.

Now for your question. I suggest you start looking here. It has a lot of good books and internetsites if you want to start to program games.

>> in fact i teach some languages
Your writing style, or rather lack of writing even one compresensible sentence, suggests otherwise. Unless of course your native language is not English.

>>i know c & c++ (of course not everthing in them...n i havnt reach graphics level)
graphics is not part of either c or c++ languages.

There are lots of threads here about writing game engines and you should probably read many of them to get an idea of what all is involved. This one, for example, seems to be an interesting discussion.

graphics is not part of either c or c++ languages.

I think he meant that he has not learned how to create programs that use 3D or advanced 2D graphics (like those used by a game) in C++ yet. Obviously what you said was correct, but someone who hasn't made a graphics program yet might misinterpret that to mean that you can't make graphics programs in C++.

As a beginner/intermediate at programming, I've found that books are usually a much better learning resource that web tutorials (except maybe for w3schools.com, but that's web development only). So go buy books. You say you know C++. How well exactly? Are you up to speed with classes and pointers? If not, I started learning C++ from C++ for Dummies, by Stephen Randy Davis, though if you have some basic knowledge of C++, you may be able to skip that and learn as you go. I began basic game development from Beginning Game Programming, by John S. Harbour. That introduces you to some basic windows programming and then delves into DirectX. I'm currently making my way through Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX, by Vaughn Young (btw, none of these authors have paid me anything). It covers a lot of ground but doesn't (and probably couldn't) delve in to every detail of what's going on. btw, if anyone knows a thing or two about DirectX - help please?

A lot of those resources should help you. That's pretty much all I've used (as well as documentation to help me along the way), and I'd say I'm a pretty decent game programmer-in-training.

>> in fact i teach some languages
Your writing style, or rather lack of writing even one compresensible sentence, suggests otherwise. Unless of course your native language is not English.

Even if his native language isn't English his English is too abysmal to be a teacher who teaches programming classes.
It clearly shows he's incapable of expressing himself properly in a language that's not his birth language (even worth if that's English), which makes it pretty much impossible for him to express himself properly in a programming language.
And that's not even taking into account that all decent documentation to programming languages and profession is written in English.

Of course we've never seen homework kiddos claiming to be teachers looking for assigments to give to their pupils either, this looks to be just another twist on that scenario.

dude you obviosuly know nothing about it. If you are indeed a teacher then i pity your students.

And stop with the leet speak or i will infract you.

dude you obviosuly know nothing about it. If you are indeed a teacher then i pity your students.

And stop with the leet speak or i will infract you.

whats the 'leet speak'?
n..ma students u dont worry abt them....they are preety happy....
at least in my city...they wont get better option...than me.......
well.....i just sometimes.......im not that experienced buddy...that...keep on teaching day n night....

Do you teach in l33t-speak ? :icon_wink:
l33t is against the forum rules.

Ancient Dragon wasn't pulling your leg, he gave the best advice he could give you, because you didn't tell us anything about your background. To be very honest: a title like "wanna be games developer - but donno wht 2 do? " suggests that you are 16 years old and have no experience in programming whatsoever. So AD's response is very good actually.

Now for your question. I suggest you start looking here. It has a lot of good books and internetsites if you want to start to program games.

well whatz this leet stuff?
im not linked wid it in any why..
n thanks for d link
n yes!! im 20 noooo 16
awell....i didnt fire any Q that day which i made that title...
it was a general title buddy....
im new to forum culture...

commented: that's a prime example, as you know. -3

>>Your writing style, or rather lack of writing even one compresensible sentence, suggests otherwise. Unless of course your native language is not English.
[yup english is not my native language n im trying to improve my skills....hope soon u buddies wont have problem wid maa english...whew:icon_rolleyes: ]

>>graphics is not part of either c or c++ languages.
[at least c++ says hello to graphics..]

which links u gave..they didnt open..

You say you know C++. How well exactly? Are you up to speed with classes and pointers? If not, I started learning C++ from C++ for Dummies, by Stephen Randy Davis, though if you have some basic knowledge of C++, you may be able to skip that and learn as you go. I began basic game development from Beginning Game Programming, by John S. Harbour. That introduces you to some basic windows programming and then delves into DirectX. I'm currently making my way through Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX, by Vaughn Young (btw, none of these authors have paid me anything). It covers a lot of ground but doesn't (and probably couldn't) delve in to every detail of what's going on. btw, if anyone knows a thing or two about DirectX - help please?

A lot of those resources should help you. That's pretty much all I've used (as well as documentation to help me along the way), and I'd say I'm a pretty decent game programmer-in-training.

well well well im damn confused...abt this stuff- first u asked me to go for c++...u said u urself started with c++ ...then why now diretx?????
means...i know pointers n classes of c++ to ok level...im not new to programming world...my progamming concepts are ok....

if only to clear the programming concepts u learnt c++ n.....for same ur asking me to learn it...then thats another thing....

but i wanted to know......which language should i opt to learn 3d games development..

this c++ or directx or opengl...or somthing else???

i dont want..that..first i do one language and then switch to another..n then another.....

n yeah u pretty decent game programmer-in-training....hello... ;)

Even if his native language isn't English his English is too abysmal to be a teacher who teaches programming classes.
It clearly shows he's incapable of expressing himself properly in a language that's not his birth language (even worth if that's English), which makes it pretty much impossible for him to express himself properly in a programming language.
And that's not even taking into account that all decent documentation to programming languages and profession is written in English.

Of course we've never seen homework kiddos claiming to be teachers looking for assigments to give to their pupils either, this looks to be just another twist on that scenario.

heyy listen!!!!!
i dont seek any assignments to give maa pupils haan.............
at least i have that much mind...that i give them assignment...from myself..
i dont need to seek for it from anywhere.....

n u buddies plz stop pulling my leg...
i live in a small town....
here ppl jus do the degree n start teaching ...they clear the probs of their pupir even

but im not soo.......
i dont have any degree...
im 20

i clear almost all of their doubts.....

n claiming to be teacher!!!!
whatz in caliming here????
i do...

kidoo....huh homework kiddoo!!!!!
stop pulling my leg plz.....

at least i have courage to teach someone :icon_frown:
its not a easy task ok!!!!

well well well i accpet my english is not that kool
but u people also can stress ur mind..to some bits...
n can try to understand what i mean1!!!!
n ur replies to..maa thread are telling...
u people are getting everything.....

jus wanna laugh at someone...to satisfy own....ego..
thats it....

well....im not 100 yrs old now!
i will improve..maself.......

in fact im improving :|
thanks for...staying..in this thread...
thats for commenting here

but plz dont pull my leg :icon_exclaim:

DO NOT continue using "leet speek"

Leet speek includes:

"plz"
"y"
"u"
"omg"
"soooooooooo"
excessive amounts of LOLing

And pelase please try and use full sentances and less of "..." you are writing like people speak, not like people write. It is very hard to understand.

DO NOT continue using "leet speek"

Leet speek includes:

"plz"
"y"
"u"
"omg"
"soooooooooo"
excessive amounts of LOLing

And pelase please try and use full sentances and less of "..." you are writing like people speak, not like people write. It is very hard to understand.

-------
okay okay means using short form of a word
well i googled about this leet , leet also include writing like this l33t
means use of special characters for resembling alphabets.
well i dont do that
i write only alphabet
well as you said ,i will not(wont) write "u"(you) , plz(please)

thanks

you're still doing it, fool.
No capitalisation, completely wrong punctuation, terrible grammar and syntax.

It's so bad one can only assume it's deliberate, even the worst automatic translator can do better.

If you were really a teacher as you claim and not some schoolkid you'd be ashamed of yourself if your skills were so poor and stay far away from any place where you'd have to use English.
You'd also suggest to your boss to fire you on the spot because you're incapable of teaching for lack of communications skills.

i thibnk he is one of these people who learnt english from the internet. Bad idea.

first u asked me to go for c++...u said u urself started with c++ ...then why now diretx?????

C++ is a programming language that you should learn. DirectX is NOT a programming language. It is an API (application programming interface). Basically, it's a whole bunch of functions and classes and structures that you can use with C++ (or other languages) to help the user(programmer) make graphical games more easily.

Put simply, you are not using DirectX instead of C++ - you are using it with C++.

this c++ or directx or opengl...or somthing else???

i dont want..that..first i do one language and then switch to another..n then another.....

As i've said, DirectX is an API that is used with programming languages, and so is OpenGL. You should learn how to make basic applications with C++, then learn how to use either DirectX OR OpenGL to make games.

To be a bit technical: DirectX isn't used just for graphics. DirectX is made up of several different APIs, like Direct3D(3D graphics), DirectSound (playing sounds), DirectInput (getting input from the keyboard and mouse), DirectPlay (used for making online or networked games), and some others. OpenGL is not a set of APIs like DirectX, it is ONE API that's used for 2D and 3D graphics.

A side note: I really hope that you actually are new to forum culture, and that you actually don't know English perfectly. I've got absolutely no problem with people who are new to things (forums or game development or english), but I do have problems with liars who post in forums to annoy people and waste their time. I'm not saying I think you are one, I just hope I'm right.

i thibnk he is one of these people who learnt english from the internet. Bad idea.

joo fink hie lurnt id ad al?

thats funny

whats not funny though is the fact that if you say what you posted with a cockneyish accent, it sounds rather like a lot of people where i am from ;)

anyway, back to topic.

1) learn english. Cant be a games developer without that
2) learn c++ (OOP is handy for games hence c++ instead of c)
3) learn c++ inside out
4) now you are a pro at the console, start with GUI stuff
5) Pick your favourite libary e.g OpenGL
6) practice practice practice

start with something simple. You will never be able to make the next far-cry, so dont get your hopes up.

you're still doing it, fool.
No capitalisation, completely wrong punctuation, terrible grammar and syntax.

It's so bad one can only assume it's deliberate, even the worst automatic translator can do better.

If you were really a teacher as you claim and not some schoolkid you'd be ashamed of yourself if your skills were so poor and stay far away from any place where you'd have to use English.
You'd also suggest to your boss to fire you on the spot because you're incapable of teaching for lack of communications skills.

The cool thing is- I am my own boss and I am never going to fire myself.

Second thing now I came to know what is this leet stuff. My thread title is in leet and i used leet style becuse I wanted to write more stuff in less space. There was space crises buddy! Try to understand like a gentleman.

I hope this was last year when I taught. I will not continue teaching.

My speaking skills are good in my native language and I use that language only while teaching, little use of English.

Well why should I stay far away from place where English is used!

More exposure=More learning.

You are just a discouraging personality.

It is my sincere advice to you, never advice anyone. You will discourage the buddy.

I am not ashamed of anything. I am learning and improving and one day you people will not complain me anymore.

Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!

What a crap you people are talking about! I am not a professor in any university.

I just teach one or two buddies after one or two months interval. I know something and I can make them be able to face some company interview-thats it!

What the problem you people have with my teachings?

Teaching someone does not mean that I am claiming I was president of somewhere.

It does not mean I am taking a class full of students.

I just teach dude...sometimes.

:|

I am not a person who just know a thing from 10 years and keep on teaching same thing again and again. I just learn something new then teach it and move forward.

he! I AM A GIRL..so please write she

I practiced English through chatting. Bad Idea or Good - I dont know.

I can write what ever I want to express. I am in that phase now. And my English will also get improved with time. If my English is bad that does not mean I just run far far away from it.

You see, Post #23 was just so much better. I could actually read it. It just had more style and readability.

When you write stuff down you must not write as if you are speaking, or it makes it hard to understand.

C++ is a programming language that you should learn. DirectX is NOT a programming language. It is an API (application programming interface). Basically, it's a whole bunch of functions and classes and structures that you can use with C++ (or other languages) to help the user(programmer) make graphical games more easily.

Put simply, you are not using DirectX instead of C++ - you are using it with C++.

As i've said, DirectX is an API that is used with programming languages, and so is OpenGL. You should learn how to make basic applications with C++, then learn how to use either DirectX OR OpenGL to make games.

To be a bit technical: DirectX isn't used just for graphics. DirectX is made up of several different APIs, like Direct3D(3D graphics), DirectSound (playing sounds), DirectInput (getting input from the keyboard and mouse), DirectPlay (used for making online or networked games), and some others. OpenGL is not a set of APIs like DirectX, it is ONE API that's used for 2D and 3D graphics.

A side note: I really hope that you actually are new to forum culture, and that you actually don't know English perfectly. I've got absolutely no problem with people who are new to things (forums or game development or english), but I do have problems with liars who post in forums to annoy people and waste their time. I'm not saying I think you are one, I just hope I'm right.

I want to say you Thanks , first of all.
Well ok! I will continue with c++ and openGL, Really don't want to be platform dependent.

Reply to your side note: I am really new to forum culture. English..hehehe... I started chatting in 10th class, those times almost everyone used to say me that my English is damn poor. I used to feel bad about it. I tried a lot to improve it.

Now i have almost passed my Graduation. I think my typing speed is good now. Many people say me that my English is good. Some people say its not good but ok to understand.

From a good time I am in touch of internet but I wonder why I never touched blogs and forums. Blogging I am still not doing. But forums just started. Its my first thread :( .

But here only I came to know that my English is extremely bad and people suspect that I can teach or not.

This much suspecting and criticizing people I met here only.

Well I am not here to annoy anyone. I am not here to waste any buddy's time.

In fact, I myself do not have any time to waste. I am devoting my very precious hours here.

You see, Post #23 was just so much better. I could actually read it. It just had more style and readability.

When you write stuff down you must not write as if you are speaking, or it makes it hard to understand.

Okay buddy! Actually I only chat in English. Or read some stuff in English.

And seems my friends are been habitual to my zigzag English.

So they get everything , what ever I say.

Well :) Thanks...

joo fink hie lurnt id ad al?

Which language it is!

thats funny

1) learn english. Cant be a games developer without that
2) learn c++ (OOP is handy for games hence c++ instead of c)
3) learn c++ inside out
4) now you are a pro at the console, start with GUI stuff
5) Pick your favourite libary e.g OpenGL
6) practice practice practice

start with something simple. You will never be able to make the next far-cry, so dont get your hopes up.

1. Okkk....
2. Ok, I will do more practice of c++.
3. Inside out! ??
4. :) yup yup yup GUI
5. I am planning to start with OpenGL as I do not want to be platform dependent.
6. will...do so.... but with a slow speed...

:) Thanks Boy..

>>But here only I came to know that my English is extremely bad
Your writing skills are not great, but good enough to get along anywhere in the world where English is spoken and written. And that's all that really counts.

If you want to improve your English then start reading a lot of novels. Everything you can get your hands on because they will teach you a lot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.