i know that blender has a game engine, but i cannot find anything really good on how to get it to work... i can make physics happen, there are tutorials (like a ball rolling) on that that are easy to understand, but i don't get the event thing that blender employs. does anyone know anything that explains it.

i already know java, but i don't get the way blender does things.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I've messed around with Blender a couple times before, but never used the game engine.

I found an interesting tutorial in the BlenderWiki about the basics of the Blender Game Engine, check it out.

thanks for the reply, that is an interesting tutorial for it that i haven't seen yet, does anyone else have a suggestion?

also i notice that it allows python, but i suppose i should ask for python stuff in the python board :)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Personally, from experience you would need to know python to fully utilise the game engine in blender.

If you haven't already, I would recommend joinin the blender forums, you also have to be good at modelling and texturing too.

Personally, from experience you would need to know python to fully utilise the game engine in blender.

If you haven't already, I would recommend joinin the blender forums, you also have to be good at modelling and texturing too.

ha, i'm no artist. i can make things in 3d look close to good. all i want is a way to make a 3d game (not even for production) without writing thousands of lines of C++ (which i slightly know), and i don't know much of python either.

well not to steal the thunder or de-rail here, but why don't you try XSI mod tool??
it integrates with C#/XNA
it's free also
there's very little documentation on Blender, which is one of the things most people complain about

Well, in my opinion, you'd better use Blender as the modeling and level-making tool and let an engine do the work for you; and I don't think so that the Blender game engine can work for you.

If you want it to be easy, use 3D Game Studio, either A6 or A7 which is newly released. It really needs no programming experience and you're going to have fun making games.

To choose the harder way, you can pick up an engine like Irrlicht, which most of the time does not need hundreds of lines of codes to be written. There is also a port to C#, so that you can utilize .NET into your game[, if you want].

Good luck.
Good luck.

well, i found DarkGDK which seems to be pretty simple but i don't know

still looking for more blender stuff but marking this thread as solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.