Several of my games (typically, but not always, graphically intensive ones), have a duration when moving the mouse that varies from making it very difficult to aim, to having to wait about a second after my mouse moves left to see my character move left on the screen. (It's not choppy, it's a delay in movement). I have gotten spectatular frame rates while having the lag problem at the same time, so I do not believe that this is just my computer being too old. I have been told elsewhere to lower the quality, but in most of the problem games, even minimum quality still lags enough that I cannot aim, and the rest are so horrible looking that I can't stand it. One example is FarCry. I lowered the quality to minimum, and I still got enough lag that I couldn't get headshots, so I went into the config file to lower it below the normally possible quality. I lowered the resolution to 320 x 240 as opposed to the minimum 800 x 600, I turned the trees into doom-style sprites, lowered resolution so badly that Jack Carver's hand was all solid colors, and lowered the lighting quality so low that it made my eyes pink looking at it for 30 minutes. It worked the lag was gone, and I could sortof play, but after playing for a few hours, I decided it just wasn't worth it. I went to go play Doom on an older comp, which looked quite impressive after dealing with this for so long. My computer may not be top knotch, but it's not that horrible. My friend's Dad, whose computer is much poorer than mine, can play FarCry with no input lag at all. The problem only affects Direct3d
Modified Dell Dimension 8200 (but the problem has been there since before it was modified, and has improved only slightly over the period of part replacement)
Before Modification: Geforce4 MX420, 512mb rd ram, 80gb hard drive space, 2.0ghz Pentium 4.
After Modification: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 1gb rd ram, 2 80gb hard drives, 2.0ghz Pentium 4.
I am currently duel-booting with SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional, and Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. The master hard drive has two partitions, the primary is formatted in NTFS and has Windows on it, and the other partition is a small partition formatted in FAT32. The slave has Linux and a swap partition on it, and the bootloader I use is grub, stored on a floppy I always leave in my drive. Ya know...funny thing is...I don't have this problem in Linux.
My Change or Remove Programs List as of this post. Notes added:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
ATI Software Uninstall Utility
ATI Control Panel
ATI Display Driver
Doom Builder <--A program that makes levels for Doom
HighMAT Extension to Microsoft Windows XP CD Writing Wizard <--I have no idea what this is)
Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_05
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 2.5 (Symantec Corporation)
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
Macromedia Extension Manager
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.1
Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer
Mozilla Firefox (0.9.3)
Mozilla Thunderbird (0.7.3)
Norton Internet Security Professional
Theme Park World Fix <-- Makes SimTheme Park compatible with XP
-Windows Media Format Runtime
-Windows Media Player 10
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Yahoo! Messenger Explorer Bar
I am currently using DirectX 9.0b, but this has happened with 8.0 as well.