Hi Friends,

I seem to be having problems with some sprites in my game. The number of them isn't the same from level to level, so I have created an ArrayList of these sprites to get a variable number of them.

Now, simply for some testing purposes (I'm not yet at the point that I am going to program their behavior) I am trying to get one to move on a keypress. However, it keeps freezing the program, and I realized that you don't access ArrayList members the same way that you do an Array.

I mean, if it were an Array, it would be no problem to make one move with

array.move();

However, when calling the same function from an ArrayList,

arraylist.get(i).move();

I'm actually creating another intstance of that sprite. Which is what I believe it the source of the problem.

So, how can I get a member of an ArrayList to do something, without copying said member?

Thanks
Jay

You don't mention the language, but if it's Java then using arraylist.get(i).move(); as you have it there will move that instance in the list. It will not create a copy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.