Hi, I have a 3d model (.obj) with 3 textures applied to it and it consists of just over 96,000 vertices. But I want to be able to put it into a gaming engine which is limited to 65536 vertices. I have discovered a loop hole in the gaming engine where the number of vertices that the game can process is only how many vertices are assigned to a single texture. So basically I need every texture to have less than 65536 vertices assigned to it which currently is not the case. Can somebody recommend to me a program that will convert my obj model to another obj model with many more textures but the new textures have less than 65536 vertices attached to each texture in the model?

Thankyou
cwarn23

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but what you say here, is that you have a single texture with 96k vertices? that's... quite a lot :)

Converting from a .obj to another .obj file sounds redundant, it'd be like copy+pasting a file.
If your troubling texture is just one color, select half the faces or so, and apply a new material with the same settings as your old one.

If it is not one color, or has stuff like a reflection map (or in other words: where an edge could be seen) try cutting your textures in 2 pieces, and apply them seperately.

Finally, you could try using bumpmaps etc. instead of normal geometry.
also, don't smooth it too much, or use whatever polygonreduction tool your 3d-editor has.
i don't know how much vertices an average game object has, but don't forget all those vertices need to be calculated 30+ times a second or more.

If it is not one color, or has stuff like a reflection map (or in other words: where an edge could be seen) try cutting your textures in 2 pieces, and apply them seperately.

Well that's the thing, I don't know much if anything about modelling other than this program generates the model for me but from that quote I see now that the texture image needs to be split into two somehow. Is there another program that can import the obj file and automatically split the textures into smaller pieces and export it as a new obj file with the new textures. I just can't seem to find a program that will do this as they all require advanced mapping techniques which I am not familiar with. Thanks.

not that i know of actually, if you didn't do the complete modelling yourself, problems like these might arrive

I imagine that if someone made such a program (and it might be out there!) it would be very hard to see what texture needs to be split, and how to do it in such a fasion that reflections etc. don't break up.

If i were you, i'd start learning some 3d modelling yourself, specifically the texturing part. There are some good and free 3d modelling video tutorials on 3dbuzz.com, and you can usually get a free trial of popular 3d modelling programs like maya (just to name one).

Or maybe you could try another engine? i imagine it'd be possible to edit the maximum amount of vertices allowed in an open source 3d engine, or maybe a modern powerfull game engine can handle more as well.
try looking up the UDK, it's a free engine so long as you don't aim on getting money.

not that i know of actually, if you didn't do the complete modelling yourself, problems like these might arrive

I imagine that if someone made such a program (and it might be out there!) it would be very hard to see what texture needs to be split, and how to do it in such a fasion that reflections etc. don't break up.

If i were you, i'd start learning some 3d modelling yourself, specifically the texturing part. There are some good and free 3d modelling video tutorials on 3dbuzz.com, and you can usually get a free trial of popular 3d modelling programs like maya (just to name one).

Or maybe you could try another engine? i imagine it'd be possible to edit the maximum amount of vertices allowed in an open source 3d engine, or maybe a modern powerfull game engine can handle more as well.
try looking up the UDK, it's a free engine so long as you don't aim on getting money.

Looks like it will be more likely that I will have to make a 3d gaming engine from scratch in c++ and perhaps then may I use the 96k vertices model. Also I tried modifying the existing gaming engine but the renderer couldn't handle the 32 bit integer as a replacement for the 16 bit integer so yer it looks like I will need to reinvent the wheel and perhaps learn a bit about OpenGL too. So I would rather do that than learn modelling because I've tried learning modelling before and it was a devil of a task just to draw a cylinder with a semi-cypher attached on the end. Anyways thanks for your input and I shall leave this open in case somebody else comes up with another suggestion.

what 3d engine do you have now?
if it's modular, you could just try to rewrite that specific module.
(and if you're gonna write your own: that's a silent hint :P)

what 3d engine do you have now?
if it's modular, you could just try to rewrite that specific module.
(and if you're gonna write your own: that's a silent hint :P)

I'm not writing a modeller but rather a gaming engine. I just can't seem to find any that will do the job these days. You can get ones like irrlicht but they all have their cons such as the 16bit vertices limitation so I shall learn OpenGL and write my own gaming engine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.