Hi I have recently purchased a MAC and I am having some trouble finding out about MAC software as I have always been a PC users.I am looking for a piece of software that acts as a virtual drive for mounting images on my MAC.The PC software for doing this is called DAEMON TOOLS.I am really looking for its equivalent in the MAC world.Thanks for any help

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Welcome. First thing to learn is that is Mac, short for Macintosh. It's not an acronym like PC.

As for image mounting, much of that is already built into the OS. What type of images (specifically) are you looking to mount?

A lot of OS X software can be found by looking at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Again, welcome.

got another question. do i have to pay for the software by downloading one of this files?

thanks

got another question. do i have to pay for the software by downloading one of this files?

If you're referring to VersionTracker, then it depends on what software you want to download. Some will be commercial software, in which case you'll be downloading a demo. If you're downloading freeware, it's well, free.

You can mount an ISO image in MAC by double clicking the ISO image or issuing the following command:
hdiutil mount image.iso

You can mount an ISO image in MAC by double clicking the ISO image or issuing the following command:
hdiutil mount image.iso

The above command is to be issued at the command prompt in a terminal window. It is Unix. Know your audience, this is a newbie on Mac!

Macs already have mounting software already built in. All you usually have to do is open the file and the OS will mount it for you. But if it doesn't you can use Disk Utility and mount or unmount from there. This application also lets you burn and do many other things.

idiot mac users "Welcome. First thing to learn is that is Mac, short for Macintosh. It's not an acronym like PC."

Mac and PC users both have equal potential to be idiots. I think thesnail has proved himself. I use Mac, Linux, and PC - so there's no reason for animosity. How illogical. How stupid. A completely unnecessary conflict.

First things first. You don't know if this person JUST got the Mac or not.
Secondly, Look at the dates and years. His or hers was created 2006 of May.
Disk Utilities did not come out till Jun 5, 2006 12:00 am.

and Thirdly. If I ask you all what the rules of thirds are in photography, (of course without looking it up) then at least one of you who are "Masters of the Mac" would not know.
is that your fault? Of Course not.
Its not me to push that fact either.
Some know things. Some do not.

AND Finally. You need to realize that these "forums" are for those who do NOT know what or how something is. So they stream this question out, hoping for an answer. They get one, either positive or negative, an answer is an answer. Then they either palm themselves or gasp at how they missed it.
So now that this poor audiotechnob found out his or her answer; non of you all should be continuing on with the negative remarks on what audiotechnob did wrong.

I hope you all remember this next time someone asks a question that seems a bit odd.

"Welcome. First thing to learn is that is Mac, short for Macintosh. It's not an acronym like PC."

What the hell has that gotta do with the question asked??

I'm a user of both PC and MAC, and I googled that same thing not to long ago and I have been using macs for about 2 years while in college and finally only got my 1st mac a month ago....

It was a response to the caps lock writing of MAC, referring to how the "ac" in Mac should not be capitalized because it's a name, not an acronym. You don't spell Dad "DAD" do you? Post was correct, and relevant due to the attempt to educate a new Mac user.

you are so pretentious right now. its not an acronym darshtard, its an abbreviation

This annoys me as much every time! its not either mac or pc... PC=Personal Computer! not a computer with windows... a mac is a pc!

Azryel...

Great post.. of course you are completely right.. a mac / MAC / macbook / iMac / MacMini etc etc.. are all PC's.. And of course, nowadays, perfectly capable of running Windows (Not PC), if you so desire.. Interestingly, the PC genre also includes the now obsolete, Amstrads, Spectrums, Dragon, ORIC, BBC systems and many, many more systems.. which seemingly have no such etiquette regarding case. <grins> ... How on earth as Mac become an elitist platform.. my gran is comfortable running it???

Hi I have recently purchased a MAC and I am having some trouble finding out about MAC software as I have always been a PC users.I am looking for a piece of software that acts as a virtual drive for mounting images on my MAC.The PC software for doing this is called DAEMON TOOLS.I am really looking for its equivalent in the MAC world.Thanks for any help

if I understand what you are asking for by reading between the lines you should look at this product:

http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/

Mac os and Windows Os's are actually very similar now-a-days, I still don't get the animosity that crosses between the platforms.

I think this question is not answered, and people who tried to answer just do not know all the possibilities of daemon tools. Daemon tools is used to emulate protected DVD or CD. If you just mount an image of a protected CD or DVD using standard mac tools it will not work. The CD or DVD will not be seen as a proper protected one. As far as I am aware there are no tools for mac for this purpose.

I think this question is not answered, and people who tried to answer just do not know all the possibilities of daemon tools. Daemon tools is used to emulate protected DVD or CD. If you just mount an image of a protected CD or DVD using standard mac tools it will not work. The CD or DVD will not be seen as a proper protected one. As far as I am aware there are no tools for mac for this purpose.

FINALLY!! someone who doesnt go on about whether mac is an acronym or not!!

That's great that it automatically mounts them, but dvd iso's it doesn't know how to play and Daemon tools does. Any other options?

I think you can do it Disk Utility, but I know you can do it in Toast. Some people have said that for games to recognize the image as a genuine disk, you have to use Toast 7 and not the new Toast 8, but as I've never tried it I can't confirm or deny.

In any case Toast is a handy program to have.

Agreed Toast is a fantastic tool. But most of what it does can be done with disk utility. A side from the video conversion and spanning of files. Although you could easily span a file using a tar archive.

I enjoy the auto spanning in toast it's easier than struggling and dividing up your files manually.

Toast is a version 11 now and is also supports blu ray.

Thank you greg0! That was all we needed to know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.