Hello, I was visiting some sites to find an answer for my question and it was impossible.
I hope you can help me because I'm stucked.

I want to draw several tiles that after will be used as a 3D terrain.. how can I do it? this is my actual code and I don't know how to implement the DrawBitmap function :

I started with the following code:

/*--------------------------------------------*/
/* Drawing the tiles with DirectX */

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* Creating the grid */
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
int x,y;
// Display from top to bottom
for(y = 0; y < 10; y++) {
   // Display from left to right
      for(x = 0; x < 10; x++) {
      // Your display function here
      DisplayTile(x, y); //Maybe it could work if I code right the DrawBitmap function
   }
}

Here goes the DisplayTile function:

/* Displaying the Tiles */
/*------------------------------*/
// Global tile map array
int g_iTileMap[100]; // 10*10 = 100 spots needed

// Prototype tile display function
void vDisplayTile(int x, int y);

void vDisplayTile(int x, int y)
{
   int iTile;
   int tileWidth = 64;
   int tileHeight = 64;
   int mapWidth = 10;

//
   // Calculate the value of the tile
   // at the givenx&y coordinate.
   //
   iTile = g_iTileMap[(x + (y * mapWidth))];

// Display the bitmap on-screen
   DrawBitmap(iTile, (x * tileWidth), (y * tileHeight)); //stucked here}

As you can see I only need to know how to code the DrawBitmap function using DirectX. It has to be in 3D and thinking that after I have to add some camera rotation to use it as a terrain.. Can anybody help me on it please? I really would appreciate.

I forgot to tell what am I using to develope it.. It's with Dev-C++ with Directx SDK.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You're drawing a bitmap tile map, but you want 3D terrain? Are you trying to map textures to a 3D mesh? I'm not sure what you're after.

You're drawing a bitmap tile map, but you want 3D terrain? Are you trying to map textures to a 3D mesh? I'm not sure what you're after.

Yes I think.. my idea is first to render a 2D tile grid so then I can add in each tile a texture from an .X file. After doing that I pretend to add to the grid the possibility of changing the camera view. I want to do that because later will be easier if I want to develope a map editor for it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.