Hi
I have beed developing an appliction that will start an executable on remote computer to zip the files. I provide the location of files to zip.

Now the problem is that i want to start the executable on linux server that hosts the files. I want to start an executable on linux server that zips the given files to specified location.

Is it possible to start executable on linux server from my windows client computer.

I searched on internet and also asked on fellow php programmers, they have been doing this using the exec command of php to invoke the zip executable on linux server and they have passed the full name of files to zip.

I just want to invoke the same executable that current php code is executing.

Is it possible to do that.:-/

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Yeah there is all sorts of ways you just need to wire one up. Why don't you use a C# application to create a WebRequest and hit your PHP page that will begin compressing the file. This also eliminates adding more code paths to your project since you'll be using existing code.

Depending on what, porecisely you are trying to do and whether the server is public or private (for security purposes) you may also want to consider calling a windows ssh client such as putty and pasing it the variables to connect to the server & run a command.

Or of coarse, you could use a server side samba daemon that allowed for file sharing with the windows 'server message block' protocol. Then you could do the zipping on the windows server, but this would obviously increase network usage.

Or for something *really* simple... ftp?

Just thought i'd play devils advocate and suggest a couple of alternate ways to manipulate files on Linux, from windows.

The first one would mean the username & password for your linux server would have to be stored on your windows client machine, meaning your linux server is only as secure as your windows client. (Unless of coarse you asked it to prompt you for the password).

The second & third ways will increase your networking usage by raw file sizes + compressed file sizes, which would be fine for small files over a home or business network, wut of we're talking WAN then these can be dropped as options in almost all cases.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.