Hi guys, I'm an experienced VB programmer, but recently started using C# and I like it. But what I need to do now, is get a list of all printers installed on the computer (not a problem) and print a page to all of them (also not a problem)...

BUT (You knew there was a but coming...) it also tries to print to Virtual Printers (Like Adobe PDF, NoteWriter, XML loader, ect) which pops up a really annoying dialogue each time. I want to eventually use this automatically, IE no human intervention to close pesky dialogues.

So is there some way I can find out if it is a virtual printer?

Heres the relevant portion of my code:

String server = Console.ReadLine();
            if (server.ToLower() == "y")
                server = Environment.UserDomainName;
            else
                server = Environment.MachineName;
            System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection moReturn = default(System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection);
            System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher moSearch = default(System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher);
                List<String> Printers = new List<String>();      
            try {
	            moSearch = new System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher("Select * from Win32_Printer");
                moSearch.Scope.Path.Server = server;
	            moReturn = moSearch.Get();
                Console.WriteLine("Fetching Printer list from " + server + "...");

foreach (System.Management.ManagementObject mo in moReturn) {
                    Printers.Add(mo.GetPropertyValue("name").ToString());
		           Console.WriteLine(mo.GetPropertyValue("name"));
	            }
            } catch (Exception ex) {
	            Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
            } finally {
	            moReturn = null;
	            moSearch = null;
            }
            System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument pd = new System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument();
            pd.PrintPage += new System.Drawing.Printing.PrintPageEventHandler(pd_PrintPage);
            foreach (String printer in Printers)
            {
                Pos = 0;
                pd.PrinterSettings.PrinterName = printer;
                PB = new Rectangle(0, 0, pd.DefaultPageSettings.Bounds.Width, pd.DefaultPageSettings.Bounds.Height);
                try
                {
                    pd.Print();
                }
                catch
                {
                    continue;
                }
            }

You are going about finding printers in an odd way, just use LocalPrintServer. Other than that, I'm not sure if you can. You don't actually print to a printer anymore, you print to a print queue (which then gets sent to the printer). The print queue takes on some of the attributes of the printer, but looking through them I can't find anything that signifies that it is a 'real' vs 'virtual' printer.

There could be something there (there are a lot of classes you can deal with in that section of .NET) but as I said, I didn't find anything.

Edit: Looking some more, I notice that only my physical printer has PrintQueueAttributes.EnableBidi (bi-directional communication). That may be the key you are looking for :)

Edited 5 Years Ago by Momerath: n/a

EnableBidi Attribute is not always true for all physical printer,it may be fasle for Some Old Models of printers who do not communicate in bidirectional manner.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.