I'm unable to get any new USB devices to work with my Fujitsu laptop. Devices that I've been using for a while (such as keyboard, mouse, printer, ext. hard drive) still work. Whenever I try to connect any new device (mouse, USB stick, ext. hard drive) it immediately recognises what it is in the pop-up balloon from the system tray but then starts up the Install New Hardware wizard which fails every time. The devices themselves work in other computers and all of the ports work with other devices. I'm running XP SP3 and I think it's an OS problem. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to fix this. It's a real nuisance.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Does the laptop have Norton on it by any chance?

Does the laptop have Norton on it by any chance?

No it doesn't. I may have loaded it on at some stage but not that I recall. I use Kaspersky Internet Security.

Do you use any other security software at all? I have worked on a couple of machines with Kaspersky on them and found them to be infected even though Kaspersky said they were clean.
The reason I ask is that malware can cause all kinds of problems and harm your registry which could be a possible cause of your USB problem!

I have tried downloading drivers both using the Install New Hardware wizard, through Device Manager and directly from the various manufacturer's websites. For example when trying to get a Logitech M305 mouse to work. I currently use an older Logitech mouse with no problem. I also use an external keyboard, but when I take it out and try a different one it doesn't work. The old one still works when I plug it back in. I've also just tried a new WD 2.5" ext. drive. It came with a CD for Windows 98, not XP. It is consistently happening with all new USB devices I plug in. They all just Plug & Play in other computers, just not my laptop.

Do you use any other security software at all? I have worked on a couple of machines with Kaspersky on them and found them to be infected even though Kaspersky said they were clean.
The reason I ask is that malware can cause all kinds of problems and harm your registry which could be a possible cause of your USB problem!

No I don't. I did do a full scan a couple of days ago. What else would you recommend doing a scan with?

Thanks for that tracer357. I'm afraid it didn't work though. I also run TuneUp Utilities regularly. Eusing FRC picked up more registry problems which I've cleaned, then rebooted but the problem still exists.

What happens when you go into the device manager (you can run it directly by entering devmgmt.msc in the run menu). Do you have any items with yellow flags? Does anything change when you do "Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes"? Are any of the new devices listed under any of the device categories?

What happens when you go into the device manager (you can run it directly by entering devmgmt.msc in the run menu). Do you have any items with yellow flags? Does anything change when you do "Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes"? Are any of the new devices listed under any of the device categories?

Yes. Any new device I plug in is listed in Device Manager with a yellow ? and !.

When you check your services (run by services.msc) what is the status of the "Plug and Play" service?

When you check your services (run by services.msc) what is the status of the "Plug and Play" service?

"Started", Startup Type = Automatic

I suggest a FULL scan with Mbam - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
That will tell us if you have any malware on your system!

Have run a full scan of MBAM. One infection was found & cleaned. I've since rebooted. Problem is still there.

Try a full scan and remove and possible malware hiiden files. It has to do with your USB port probelm, why does the install new hardware always pop up?

Have you tried sfc /scannow

Have tried a full scan with sfc /scannow. Still no joy! Does anyone have any more ideas?

Try kaspersky or malware bytes again. Have you jam anything inside the usb port or accidentally drop water in it. If yes it will damage the usb port. You said old stuff such as mouse works fine and new stuff is having problem. Is the new mouse compatible with your computer?

I have exactly the same symptom on my Lenovo Laptop. Already used USB-sticks and -drives work fine, new devices fail the automatic installation. All new stuff working fine on other PCs. No solution found up to now. Symptom raised about 4 weeks before today. System is clean (Kaspersky + ect.) and I did not install any new software except normal MS updates for my XP professional SP3.
I would be happy for any ideas..

..i think you need to install drivers because you use a Os xp..download drivers for xp including the model of your laptop

..i think you need to install drivers because you use a Os xp..download drivers for xp including the model of your laptop

Does not work. The poster have already said so.

You either have a virus, or your AV software is causing the system to refuse to install the driver software. First, do a full system scan (setting your scanner preferences to look at EVERYTHING, and as deep as possible into all archives), then clean up the registry (there are tools to do that), and finally disable the AV software. Then, reboot and try to install the hardware again.

Who are you referring to rubberman. You mean the original poster. The poster have already did what you said and the problem still persists except for the disabling AV software he haven't done that. Furthermore he have not come back and upadte his progress

my pen drive is not detected by any computer

Can your pen drive be detected when plug into other laptops or computers?

Are you using old pendrive or new one (about 2 month or so)?

Might be your pendrive is already dead and you'll need replacement for a new one...

Most pendrive will be out of commission anyway. There's a lot of pendrive you can buy at very low price...

I'm unable to get any new USB devices to work with my Fujitsu laptop. Devices that I've been using for a while (such as keyboard, mouse, printer, ext. hard drive) still work. Whenever I try to connect any new device (mouse, USB stick, ext. hard drive) it immediately recognises what it is in the pop-up balloon from the system tray but then starts up the Install New Hardware wizard which fails every time. The devices themselves work in other computers and all of the ports work with other devices. I'm running XP SP3 and I think it's an OS problem. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to fix this. It's a real nuisance.

After trying everything everyone suggested and getting more and more frustrated I finally ended up doing a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows XP which solved the problem so I never did find out what was causing it.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to try to help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.