Hello, I am writing a small 'program' using MS Visual Studio 2013. I would like to read in a few tags from the ID3 headers of media for each file to be written to an XML file. I've used taglib and a few other ID3 libraries but I cannot use them without throwing errors. I even used the NuGet package installation for Taglib and Taglib Portable which loads the classes into my project and sets proper declarations. However, every code that I can possibly find online about using the library throws a handful of errors.

Since I am using WMP.dll as the basis of the media player part of my program I wanted to try to do it natively through Windows Media Player but the only way that I was able to find to ascertain ID3 tag values was as followed:

`Dim Artist = AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.currentMedia.getItemInfo("Author")`

But obviously this is to get the available mp3 ID3 tags from the single track that WMP is currently playing. Of course users are supposed to populate a list with mp3/other media types from a folder/subfolders and the tracks will be added to the list (this I've handled just fine) but then extract the values of the ID3 frames that I want. But I am not sure how to access such info without using the currentMedia value of my call to Windows Media Player as shown above.

Any potential thoughts/ideas would be awesome!

2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by weekendrockstar

I have tried Perry's ID3 library, I used NuGet in VBStudio2013 to add TagLib# Portable and had no luck with either. Since you are more familiar with Perry's library I will attempt adding it to my project again and I will tell you the problems that arose. Perhaps you may know how I can work around it.

I went with Perry's library first as it has the most documentation including how to add it to a VBStudio project. TagLib# used to have a documentation site but it no longer exists and even if I could have gotten it to work even with adding it with NuGet, I wasn't sure where to go from there.

I am going to follow the steps posted on glassocean as far as adding Perry's library to my existing project and let you know what VBStudio says to me.

Downloaded V0.4 source (.sln and .vbproj)
Extracted Library folder to hard drive
File -> Add Existing Project -> Perrys ID3 Library.vbproj

PROBLEM: These projects are either not supported or need project behavior modification.....etc

I select One Way Modification to allow VBStudio to make changes for the project to be opened by VBStudio2013. I am not worried that the project can no longer be used in the original version of VBStudio in which it was created as 2013 is the only one that I use.

Perry's ID3 Library now shows in my Solution Explorer.
Under my project in the Solution Explorer I go to Project -> Add Reference -> In Reference Manager I select Project -> Solutions -> Perrys ID3 Tag Libray and click OK

PROBLEM: References between projects that target different runtimes or versions of .NET framework are not supported. The references will be treated as a file reference assemlbly....etc

I click OK

I add the following code to my existing project where necessary:

Dim myMP3 As New ID3TagLibrary.MP3File(path)
            Dim artist = myMP3.Artist

Now, VBStudio is not marking any 'errors' within the code itself so I think maybe I'm good. But then I run debug. And a warning and error are shown:

Warning 1 Cannot unregister assembly "C:\Repository\sync\free\ID3\Perry's ID3 Tag Library\Perry's ID3 Tag Library\bin\Debug\ID3TagLibrary.dll" - file doesn't exist. Perry's ID3 Tag Library

I am not sure how to check on that location but ID3TagLibrary.dll is in the bin/debug location of the project folder where I saved it.

Error 2 Cannot register assembly "C:\Users\Mine\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\WindowsApplication5\Perry's ID3 Tag Library\Perry's ID3 Tag Library\bin\Debug\ID3TagLibrary.dll" - access denied. Please make sure you're running the application as administrator. Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ID3TagLibrary.BitManipulator' is denied. Perry's ID3 Tag Library

So I am not sure where the issues lie. I am not totally positive about how to fix he administrator issue.

I apologize for this being so verbose but I am quite new to this and really would love to use this library. And if this is an issue for more people than just myself I would love to add a tutorial online for anyone else that may run into this problem with any kind of solution that might make this work for me.

I'm running Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 Home Premium (all updates installed). I created a sample project named 'PerryTest' and copied ID3TagLibrary.dll to the source folder. I added the dll to the References. I added the following code

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim mp3 As New ID3TagLibrary.MP3File("D:\My Music\Alice Cooper\Alice Cooper - Schools Out For Summer.mp3")

End Sub

then put a breakpoint at Me.Close(). With a Watch on mp3 I saw the expected properties with no errors or warnings.

Boom! Success! I wasn't sure if I would have trouble since the project might have been made in Studio 2010 considering that the last update to library was in 2012 so I didn't know if I would still have trouble in Studio 2013.

But I moved ID3TagLibrary.dll to the MyProject folder within my project's directory. Not sure if it's the best place but doesn't seem to have affected it working.

Project -> Add Reference -> Browse and select ID3TagLibrary.dll from the folder where saved and it worked.

I only mention all of this in case someone stumbles upon this thread and could use the assistance.

I upvoted your solution and will mark this thread as Solved. Thank you SO much Reverend!

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.