I developed a web service in VS2003. The prototype ran great. I fully developed the functionality and in the meantime upgraded to VS2005. Now I can't get my web service to run.

I referred to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228268.aspx
At the MSDN site I am told that the compilation tags for VS2005 now reside in the machine.config file. I removed the following lines of code from the Web.config file:

[
<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true">
<compilers>
<compiler language="c#" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" extension=".cs" compilerOptions="/d:DEBUG;TRACE"/></compilers></compilation>
]

However, now I get the following error:

/***** Error message pasted below *****

Server Error in '/webnavigator' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'webnavigator.Global'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Application Inherits="webnavigator.Global" Language="C#" %>
Source File: D:\hshome\champi\championgameware.com\webnavigator\global.asax Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

***** End the error message *****/

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the machine.config file of the remote server.

First, is the error because the machine.config file does not have the required compilation tags? If so, is there anyway (besides reverting to VS2003) to set the compilation tags in the Web.config file?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Even though your using Visual Studio 2005, your IIS Website is configured to use .NET 1.1. It says so itself, in the error message:

[B]Version Information:[/B] Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Upgrade the ASP.NET Version on the server (in the properties of the Web Site, or by using aspnet_regiis), and your site should work fine.

After you upgrade your framework to the 2.0 make sure you go into the properties of the website in IIS and point the asp.net version to the 2.0. You can have 1.1 and 2.0 installed on the same machine and if you are upgrading the code but not the asp.net version it will through this error.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.