hi...
am using access 2003 databse in my application. i want my databse to be on the 1 pc in the LAN. and my application created in c# will be on the all machines in the LAN. So in that application i have made connection string as
" Provider = Microsoft.OLEDB.JET.4.0; server=IPAddressOfTheServer;Data Source= \\ServerName\path of .mdb database file"

if i run my apllication it gives me exception as "Could not find Installable ISAM "

but if i change path to localhost then above string is working.
so can you please tell me above problem or how to access databse on the server from client in above case???????

thanx in advaced.
regards
chaitanya.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

hi ....
I got the answer for above and here we go....

The connection string for remote access database is ->

public static string conn_str = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\\\\Server-PC-Name\\D\\DatabaseName.mdb;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=root;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=Admin";

look at the '\\\\' in the connection string. the error "Could not find Installable ISAM " might have come because i added only two slashes("\\") instead of four.

second point is that if your server has password then you have to access the remote PC mannually by typing "\\ServaerName" in the run dialog. or direactly access from My Network
Place. Otherwise it wont work.

user name and password in the connection string are the user name and password of the database and not the login for your remote server. you have to access it mannually.

Lets hope this will be usefull for the beginers.
thanx n regards.
chaitanya.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.