Hi,

I am working on a database related project for a course. I have decided to use mysql as a database but I cannot decide which web programming language to use. I am trying to decide between asp.net and php, because these are the only two web programming languages i know something about. I have almost no clue about what should i do. I would welcome any recommendation.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

If you feel comfortable with ASP.NET I might recommend that you use ASP.NET and download Visual studio express web developer and Microsoft SQL server express. Both are free and can be found at :

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

ASP.NET and MSSQL Server (microsoft SQL server) are two technologies that work very well together and setting up databases that run on ASPX pages is simple. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much,
i have also done some search on web other people also recommend the same thing. Thanks again

Glad to help, don't forget to mark this as solved if you feel the thread is now solved! Good luck!

but if you have to use mysql then go the php route as it is integrated alot better into the php language.

Yes, that is a good point there Fungus1487. I would most definately use PHP if I HAD to use MySQL. Converesely, if I had a choice I would use ASP.NET and MSSQL.

I agree i would also almost always choose .NET simply for the complete lazyness that visual studio offers me as a developer.

You are on an ASP.NET Forum. I think there is a "more than obvious" answer to your question...

But here is my question: WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO ASK?!

Do whatever you want. Who give a #$@@^**#$#$^ what we say. If ask the guy that sits next to me, he would say PHP.

In other words, it's a question that doesn't really have an answer. Don't mark this as solved, as the question is rhetorical in nature.

(that is, answer that people would give)

:-s Anyway, thank you all.

Just gone drop a stone in the lake, I would go for PHP and MySQL, reason so far I found it MySQL better choice then MsSQL, secondly I'm not big supporter of ASP as website base, I find this technology mostly very slow

Just gone drop a stone in the lake, I would go for PHP and MySQL, reason so far I found it MySQL better choice then MsSQL, secondly I'm not big supporter of ASP as website base, I find this technology mostly very slow

i agree when compared to writing php at first asp.net appears slower than it. But it is all down to the developer usually not being fluent enough at .net to understand what is going on behind the scenes and usually taking overly long routes to solve a problem. But again each to their own there is no "RIGHT" language.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.