spearcarrier 0 Newbie Poster

... because I didn't know what else to do. I'm hoping someone out there can help me here.

I run a little online comic and due to health reasons have begun to desperately seek content automation. After looking at several options, including that web blogging monstrosity that's so popular that for some reason I can't remember the name to just now, I settled on a little Perl application called Autofox for my needs. It's compact, it's almost understandable for someone like me, and what's more the organization with it is just perfect.

Now here's my problem.

I can't make the little fox run.

Apparently my old crone demon can not be found anywhere.

And yes, I'm serious.

My webhost is Tripod, and tonight I discovered that everything had to be put into a cgi-bin. (I prefer not to switch from Tripod. I've been with them since they were new and shiny, and furthermore other servers have lost things that Tripod managed to keep. So they have a golden rep with me.)

So I did. I'm not sure how much of it had to go. I'm not sure what I had to edit. Things just aren't CLEAR for little nongeeks like myself and Tripod does not offer customer support for Perl. I'm an artist not a programmer, and to be honest I'm ready to cry at this point. I ignored a deadline over this; it's that important that I get it working asap.

So can someone please answer my questions?

1. How do I get the stupid thing to GO? I have no interface to go in manually so the mythical cron -e is out. I have no command to type in at a command prompt (this dates me I know). I just have a cgi-bin that contains files that I don't even know will work right because I have no way to test them.

2. The manual for Autofox kept mentioning urls with /home/ in them. but I don't know if I'm supposed to keep the word /home/ in there or replace it with an actual web address. It's just not clear.

3. I'm sure I'll think of something else when I'm calmer.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and I pray there is someone out there who can help me get this moving along. And yes, if I had money I'd hire out. But I'm a military wife, and believe you me: that's one poor existence. ;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.