I am in a slight dilemma at the moment i'm not sure whether to go down the a+/mcse route or whether to take the CIW courses instead. I have been doing some research to try and find out about them I would appreciate any opinions you have on the CIW and MCDBA.
I have quite good html skills and know some Javascript when it comes to web design. I have been interested in this subject for a while and have even created my own little sites using html and Java. Wouldn’t mind taking things a step further by taking the CIW course but I need to know if employers recognize it and does passing the CIW give you a reasonable chance of getting a job in web design or anything related to the Internet?

This is a topic that comes up now and then, and one I've had to face in my own life. I have never received any "certification" in any technology. Yet, I've made a lifelong career in IT, and have been a senior programmer, a Vice President, a Director of Development, etc. In my case then, I've managed to do without any certification. Results are what matter. Similarly, when I hire, I look for aptitude and desire, rather than certifications.

That said, it can't hurt. It demonstrates self-motivation, and implies at least a baseline of knowledge. In an environment where everyone and their pet claims to be a "web designer", that might just the edge you need.

Sorry, but I can't give you specific advice on specific courses. I wish you the best!

I fall into the same area of Tgreer as far as no formal training or certification. I have looked into it from time to time but personally I have found most "design" programs lacking in current trends and information. I am sure there are some good ones out there but I have not been able to justify forking over the extra cash when my experience and portfolio has always kept me in work.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.