Yeah, but I don't really want to add rep - just see it - and then you have to click somewhere else to make the rep box go away without adding to rep. A hover tooltip just seemed like it would be a convenience. Certainly not something that I would put into a "pisses me off" category though.

It's faster than viewing the profile. ;) A hover tooltip would be nice however it would just add complaints from those that already dislike them while adding a minor convenience to those that don't.

It's faster than viewing the profile. ;)

Yeah, but I usually end up reading other comments they got rep on anyway so I suppose it's a wash :twisted:
It was just one of those "throw it out there" suggestions. I won't be offended if it's dismissed to avoid a riot by those crazy tool-tip haters :P

(Edit: Not to mention that it might be too technically awkward in the current framework to even be worthwhile considering anyway.)

Yeah, I agree.

jbennet, you change your display name?

(Only kidding, of course)

commented: dude, stop it -6

I understand that, but how is that problem linked to daniweb - are you saying people should be penalised for posts that others disapprove of (even if they are perfectly harmless). had thought there was a Neg rep facility for that, although I see that facility can be abused.

The problem is the value placed on rep given by new - or at least relatively new - members. Reputation is defines as:

the estimation in which a person or thing is held, esp. by the community

The established community members should be the ones driving one's reputation. If you answer somebody's question, and it was a quick fix (but they obviously hadn't found the answer), that doesn't IMHO deserve any rep. It's when you do something that other members in the community acknowledge that you deserve reputation from those members.

The current situation has ended up where jbennet has tons of reputation for solving typically easy problems. I have nothing against him for that, and AFAIK he's not flaunting it much or begging for more; it's not his fault at all. The problem is in how the reputation system works. It is a nice thing for a newbie to leave you rep when you help them out. You feel appreciated. But when that counts towards your rep points, it skews the perception of how much of an expert you are (again, not saying jbennet isn't because he certainly knows more in certain fields than I do; I'm more referring to other people who don't have as much yet who I would consider to be much more expert in their fields). It's hard to explain, and the simplest solution is to have a threshold at which the reputation person A gives to person B counts towards B's rep points. Unfortunately, there is not easy way to decide that.

The established community members should be the ones driving one's reputation. If you answer somebody's question, and it was a quick fix (but they obviously hadn't found the answer), that doesn't IMHO deserve any rep. It's when you do something that other members in the community acknowledge that you deserve reputation from those members.

That's an elitist view. It means only the "established" community members have a say in who gets to join their group. With that setup, what stops the clique from denying reputation to someone qualified because they don't like him?

This is why there are two variables: Reputation and the Solved Threads statistic.

Reputation reflects what the community at large thinks of you. It's similar to its real world counterpart - you gain reputation in your community by being around for a long time and being around other community members who carry clout. When established members who carry clout (reputation themselves) take you in (by giving you reputation), your own clout in the community increases.

The solved threads statistic is a much more objective method of saying how helpful a member is. It represents the number of threads that someone replied to before that thread was marked solved.

>That's an elitist view. It means only the "established" community members
>have a say in who gets to join their group.

The ability to give reputation to other members is based on several factors: your post count, how long you've been a member, and of course your reputation. Although reputation helps, it isn't the only factor driving a member's ability to give reputation. You can see how much reputation a person can alter by looking at their 'rep power'.

I wish there were more interesting posts in Geeks Lounge, err - I hate it when I take the time to respond to someones response to something I said and there is followup. I have decided that if they don't follow up then I left them speechless with wit and intelligence.

I kind of hate it that we can't do strikethrough.

Wait, you Yanks have people to pump your petrol FOR YOU???? WTF.

We have that here too Jb (admittedly it's the exception to the rule) There's a great little private petrol station near me that fills your tank for you, but I rarely use it as their prices are higher than anyone elses.

I wish I could post on topic, but nothing pisses me off about DaniWeb. Because I choose not to be pissed off by any of it.

commented: Good tactic! +3

The solved threads statistic is a much more objective method of saying how helpful a member is. It represents the number of threads that someone replied to before that thread was marked solved.

thats broken to hell. Ive helped loads of newbies in the xp/dead machines boards and very little (1%?) get marked solved.

Yes, most threads never get marked Solved in the Java forum either. Some never even get a "thanks, that worked" response to give any indication that the issue was resolved.

I agree with that you guys, its the same no matter which board you work on most (asp.net for me)

>thats broken to hell.
Ultimately, the only accurate measure is being a member for a few months and learning who has a good real[1] reputation.

[1] Real meaning not some vBulletin numbers game, but the honest respect of a significant majority.

Aah but that is not as tangible is it Narue?

>Aah but that is not as tangible is it Narue?
One could argue that the best things in life aren't tangible. But without getting into philosophy, there's no good way to measure how helpful a member is because such a measure relies on how active the member is as well as the quality of help the member provides.

For example, I could get the first reply on every thread with a completely wrong and unhelpful answer. Eventually someone would come around and give a correct answer, but if the thread is then marked as solved, my solved thread count would increase. This would boost my solved threads rank artificially because I didn't actually participate in solving the problem.

While these ranking measures are a nice curiosity, in the end they're completely worthless. Reputation can be abused, threads may not be marked solved or the measure can be abused, post count can be bumped drastically without helping... The only tangible measure I can think of (based on inside knowledge) is if the person is currently flagged as an admin or moderator, because they're virtually guaranteed to be helpful on the forums, if only by keeping them clean.

I understand your point entirely there Narue. But not everybody who IS helpful IS flagged as an admin/moderator, if you follow me...

Ultimately, the only accurate measure is being a member for a few months and learning who has a good real[1] reputation.

exactly. For programming IMHO the most respected is narue, sos and salem
for spyware, maybe crunchie or gerbil

jasimp, zandingo/zandiago or whatever hes called, and serunson, are also really good at welcoming newbies in the welcome board

exactly. For programming IMHO the most respected is narue, sos and salem
for spyware, maybe crunchie or gerbil

jasimp, zandingo/zandiago or whatever hes called, and serunson, are also really good at welcoming newbies in the welcome board

If I might, I'll weigh in on this, I know I'm new here but let me tell you how I came to apply for daniweb membership. I think that it is important because it is pretty directly linked to Narue and to Narue's comments.

I was looking for a quick solution (more of a confirmation actually) to a problem so I threw it into google and one of Narue's posts came up as the #2 or 3 hit. It gave me the confirmation that I was looking for and the code was nice and tight and well formatted (better than I am wont to do most times). It impressed me so I started lurking around the site and poking my nose into different forums and quickly found that there were certain people here who were giving good answers consistently. I could immediately tell in a broad sense who was a meaningful contributor (whether their answer was correct or in-correct) and who was just answering for the sake of answering.

my point is this: people who understand a subject know find quickly who else knows about that same subject and can formulate a meaningful opinion of that person's contributions. The opinions of peers is more important than statistics.

The only tangible measure I can think of (based on inside knowledge) is if the person is currently flagged as an admin or moderator, because they're virtually guaranteed to be helpful on the forums, if only by keeping them clean.

the other tangible measure here is who reputation points come from and why. I haven't looked too closely at the site here but I did notice the latest rep field (basically who gave you rep and why). it would be interesing to see if one could see all rep points given and why. Its hard to get a good rep that is bolstered by fake praise that doesn't look fake upon closer inspection. I think Dani alluded to this in an earlier post in this thread.

an example would be (sorry to pick on you Narue):

I give Narue good feedback for giving a good example, minimal effect on narue's rep because it's pretty big already and I don't have a huge reputation here.
I give Narue bad feedback because I'm a jerk. again minimal effect for the same reasons.

on the other hand if Narue gives me good feedback it's a big feather in my cap because an established member and a well-respected one at that thinks I've got something good to say.

if Narue gives me negative feedback because I'm being a jerk, it would be pretty devastating to my rep because I'm not an established member.

don't sweat the small stuff, if you're a reputation builder you'll be caught short sooner or later, if you intend to help and be helped that shows through and the members will figure out which category someone belongs to rather quickly.

commented: nicely put! +3

Dani changed it so rep from non-tech stuff doesnt count which is a PITA as i cant give +reps to people who welcome newbies, or report spam

>But not everybody who IS helpful IS flagged as an admin/moderator, if you follow me...
Indeed. My point of course was that I can't think of a way to measure the helpfulness of a member without some kind of intuition, experience, or inside knowledge.

>it would be interesing to see if one could see all rep points given and why.
You can view all of your previous rep, but others can only see your most recent five.

>sorry to pick on you Narue
When someone picks on me, I let it slide as the result of bad karma. ;)

>minimal effect on narue's rep because it's pretty big
>already and I don't have a huge reputation here.
I don't care what color the dot is, I just enjoy reading the comments. Rep with no comment or "n/a" is just boring.

Totally agree there Narue with regards to rep without comments. No point giving rep if you don't leave a comment!

rep power is dumb. I have more rep power than narue but narue has way more rep.

The forums don't update in realtime like the Subscription Spy. It would be great if it did :)

commented: they don't? +3

The screen tips on the topics are too fast. Let us either disable them, or choose the speed.

The moving ads are making the text-insertion cursors disappear again.

And there are people around who either post their homework questions or post very general problems (which are also the people who assume that other members love to make assumptions regarding the posted problems ;))

This really doesn't piss me of at all, but I didn't find it important enough to start a new thread.

There's a little bug in attached screen:

commented: LOL! :) +31

Posters that whine for help, "Pleeeeeze oh Pleeeeze". If it's so urgent, why didn't they go to google first?

People that say:
"Can you help me, this doesn't work" Code Up The %^$@# "thanks."

oh and Code Up The %^$@#

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

The forums don't update in realtime like the Subscription Spy. It would be great if it did :)

huh..? :-/

huh..? :-/

Click the ' subscription spy' link on the top of the screen (next to 'control panel').
It monitors activity on Daniweb in real-time. It a nice function :)

At least somebody understood me :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.