http://www.doncastertoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=786&ArticleID=1052313

I dont think its a good idea........

They cant tell whats OK and what isnt most of the time and if they start playing with a TOY GUN,they might think a real gun is the same!!

Recommended Answers

All 50 Replies

I don't have a problem with it. We played cowboys & indians when I was little, and I never really shot anyone with a real gun. On the otherhand, children often try to imitate what they see on TV, and TV today has a lot more violence than it did when I was growing up watch Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger riding their horses after the bad guys.

So for today's youngsters maybe it is a bad idea for them to play with toy guns.

They cant tell whats OK and what isnt most of the time and if they start playing with a TOY GUN,they might think a real gun is the same!!

Only when their parents fail to teach them the difference and fail to protect their weapons by putting them in a safe place where the children can't get to them. The only stories I've heard where children shot someone with a real gun is where the adult left the weapon lying around where the child could easily pick it up to play with. And those kids were all under the age of 10.

http://www.doncastertoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=786&ArticleID=1052313

I dont think its a good idea........

Should we allow children play with cars? They smash them one against other. That might get the wrong idea that it is OK to accelerate against another incoming vehicle.

Should they play with dolls? When they grab the hair of that cute doll and start bumping it against hard surfaces, they might be showing a pre-conditional inclination to "domestic violence".

> They cant tell whats OK
Of course, they don't know what's OK. That's what being a child is all about. And so they don't have any of the pre-conceived ideas that adults are so hanged up with.

Take the kids to a range. Let 'em shoot.

commented: Excellent :) +36

Take the kids to a range. Let 'em shoot.

I agree, this great country needs soldiers.

I agree, this great country needs soldiers.

Its better to teach children the RIGHT way to handle guns then let them find out for themselves by shooting someone.

>> and I never really shot anyone with a real gun
That vague denial of shooting nobody doesn't fill me with confidence.

>> Take the kids to a range. Let 'em shoot.
I probably don't believe this, but it's funny

THE BEST COMEBACK LINE for 2007… For those that don’t know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an “Australian treasure!”General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently. You’ll love his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. It is a portion of an ABC interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.
FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
We’re going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That’s a bit irresponsible, isn’t it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don’t see why, they’ll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don’t you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don’t see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you’re equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Ma’am, you’re equipped to be a prostitute, but you’re not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended

commented: Hehe +10
commented: I always liked that story. +17

Its better to teach children the RIGHT way to handle guns then let them find out for themselves by shooting someone.

Maybe if someone taught the cops that children with a "gun" should be evaluated for effect before they shoot back?

There are a few things that make America different from "rest-of-world". One WAS the way we handled our economy. Another is that our forefathers had the foresight to protect us against our own government by making certain we had the right to own guns. The responsible way to handle that right is to teach citizens from an early age the responsible way to handle the tool.

So a policeman says he'll shoot first and ask questions later? And he's talking about a child?

The only stories I've heard where children shot someone with a real gun is where the adult left the weapon lying around where the child could easily pick it up to play with. And those kids were all under the age of 10.

That policeman should shoot these people...

TV today has a lot more violence than it did when I was growing up watch Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger riding their horses after the bad guys.

And they never hit anything anyway!

That policeman should shoot these people...

Are all your guns unloaded and locked up?

In Detroit it is very common to have a loaded gun ready and sitting right close to the entry door. After you have been robbed in your own house a few times and seen nothing but police inaction, you will do that!

And they never hit anything anyway!

Not only that, but their guns never ran out of bullets :)

Most 'toy guns' that children shoot are in their video games. Much more realistic since much blood, brain matter, bones and guts are visually spilled.

Even some nations' military are training their soldiers on video games now.

Most 'toy guns' that children shoot are in their video games. Much more realistic since much blood, brain matter, bones and guts are visually spilled.

Even some nations' military are training their soldiers on video games now.

-- and if they don't have a toy gun or video game, they see guns and death on any TV channel.

Yeah, not allowing your children to play with a toy gun is rather hypocritical and
pretentious

Let kids be kids. I think people think too much about thinking what to think about. really i do.

In fact I think this question is completely off the wall. Toy guns can't hurt anyone so why bother asking if kids should play with them or not. What you should be asking is if kids should play with guns. I, for one, don't think they should.

Toy guns don't kill toy people, toy people do.

commented: Always remember the thousands of innocents who gave their lives willingly to prove this. +6

Toy guns don't kill toy people, toy people do.

I am with you!

I played with toy guns, real guns and i turned out fine.

I played with toy guns, real guns and i turned out fine.

I trust your mom thinks so too.

For a child to go hunting and shoot a real gun is a good and wholesome experience.

I shot one in Army Cadets. It was fun.

I shot one in Army Cadets. It was fun.

Did you actually kill something, like a deer, moose, sheep, enemy?

nah fired some rounds at targets and did some exercies with blanks thats it

you cant get guns easialy here, only farmers are allowed em and they are highly restricted.

Killing an enemy with your gun would be very patriotic I think!

As a child, I took a hunter safety course. From that point on I noticed that I had a lot more respect for the fire arm than your average kid, whether I played with toy guns or not. I will do the same for my children and actually my 6 yr old has gone out hunting with his grandfather that last couple times he went. He doesn't actually get to fire a weapon but he enjoys it and can learn from his grandfather the respect that is required. I think that if kids are going to play with toy guns that they should know what it is that they are playing with and understand the difference between fiction and reality.

Let's not forget that the reason you go hunting is not to solely practice gun safety, but to kill some animal, bring home the bloody dead thing and eat it. That would be the reality.

God bless father and son.

Most people who hurt themseleves just dont flollow the basic rules which can prevent the vas majority of accidents

*Ensure you know how to operate it properley and keep it in good condition. Dont use it in a way it wasnt intended
*Treat firearms as if they are loaded at all times. Never assume that the safety is on or the chamber is empty
*Never point a firearm at something which you wouldnt mind destroying
*Keep your finger off the trigger until you want to shoot
*Know what you are shooting and what is behind it
*Lock guns away unloaded with the ammo in a seperate place - also if possible store then disasemmbled
*Wear protection

If everyone followed these simple rules, then hardly anyone would get hurt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.