Dont immediately discount things before trying them, and also i bet your girlfrends laptop cost a lot more money then you are running the XP system on. If you payed the same amount of money as you did for the mac i think you would find it would be closer to 35 - 40 seconds, that was what it was for me on a $500 netbook.

Um, did you happen to read the part about my Linux box taking 45 seconds. I paid $100 for the box, the software was <gulp> free.
And not discounting things before trying them - listen, name one product that Microsoft has put out that isn't a complete hack. The only one I can think of is solitaire. Why would I want to give my loyalties to a company with such a poor track record with quality? Especially when a faster alternative is free? If I go out and by a pair of shoes from Nike, and they fall apart after 2 weeks, and then I go out and by another pair of shoes and they fall apart - How many pairs of crappy shoes do I have to buy, hoping that Nike can make a decent product. We've been dealing with crappy products from microsoft for the last 18 years! They should have just stuck with DOS.

Hahaha, you should have been here a few weeks ago, you really would have enjoyed this topic:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread228059.html
But as this is not a topic about bagging windows, its about saying who's got it and first experiences and so on, there really is no need. Start a new thread for that.

Oh so you don't think *nix is not just a bunch of hacked together programs??? After I installed Ubuntu and Fedora 11 they both went to their respective web sites and downloaded updates. Even after that I couldn't get the sound to work right, but I found a tutorial that explained how to uninstall something (I forget what) then download something else. It was quite a lengthy tutorial -- but worked. Even after all that I still can not play movies that are on DVD, I understand that's because the drivers are not installed with the os.

I have Windows 7 Home Prem and everything worked perfectly after installing the os. Perfect sound, plays both blue-ray and normal DVD movies, youtube videos (with sound ;)

Now tell me who has the hacked operating system.:P

commented: Hello new best friend :P +0

Oh so you don't think *nix is not just a bunch of hacked together programs??? After I installed Ubuntu and Fedora 11 they both went to their respective web sites and downloaded updates. Even after that I couldn't get the sound to work right, but I found a tutorial that explained how to uninstall something (I forget what) then download something else. It was quite a lengthy tutorial -- but worked. Even after all that I still can not play movies that are on DVD, I understand that's because the drivers are not installed with the os.

I have Windows 7 Home Prem and everything worked perfectly after installing the os. Perfect sound, plays both blue-ray and normal DVD movies, youtube videos (with sound ;)

Now tell me who has the hacked operating system.:P

Lol, I'm not going to argue with you there. I've had all those "issues" as well. Linux is not marketed as a "plug-and-play" system. Until somebody can provide a distro that does that, it will not be marketable at all. But, once you get all of that to work, you will have a much more stable, secure and efficient OS. Hands down. Linux is not for the faint of heart. It's for people who A. Aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty and doing some low-level work, installing drivers, configuring hardware etc. B. People (like me) who could use some humility.
I mean, put together a bunch of ad-hoc components, get your elbows dirty and you have a end result product better than Microsoft. I've had all the issues you've had and have spent some frustrations getting things to work. But they do and it's awesome.
So I have two closing thoughts: Windows will remain dominant because A. It's cheaper than a mac and B. There isn't a distro that provides the level of integration that you are looking for.
But, conversely, any business infrastructure worth it's salt will rely on *nix servers to run their networks. Exchange servers may be well and good for the office LAN, but enterprise systems will always be dominated by Unix.

Time it takes my Linux box to load on startup:
~45 seconds to one minute (and it has issues)

Are we comparing things that depend on your hardware's speed now? In that case my dell running on Vista loads in less than that. I'll be back online shortly, I'm actually going to time how long it takes me to open Firefox and start using it.

Edit:

It took me < 20 seconds to open Firefox and go to daniweb's home page after shutting off my computer and restarting Vista. I started the timer when I clicked the login button.

Yup, 20 seconds from pressing the on button to get to the log-on screen.
another 20 seconds and my desktop was fully loaded :)

But, conversely, any business infrastructure worth it's salt will rely on *nix servers to run their networks. Exchange servers may be well and good for the office LAN, but enterprise systems will always be dominated by Unix.

Agree. But I don't think severs are what we are talking about.

Can't wait to try Windows 7 for myself. I heard it has some huge appearance changes and doesn't perform all that amazing...

Alex

Are we comparing things that depend on your hardware's speed now? In that case my dell running on Vista loads in less than that. I'll be back online shortly, I'm actually going to time how long it takes me to open Firefox and start using it.

Edit:

It took me < 20 seconds to open Firefox and go to daniweb's home page after shutting off my computer and restarting Vista. I started the timer when I clicked the login button.

I think that you are forgetting the almost obligatory anti-virus software you need for Vista. Now the Vista boot up time is about 5 minutes.

Yeah, im still using avast and it seems to keep the boot time fine. I used AVG and it seemed to slow down a LOT

Yeah, im still using avast and it seems to keep the boot time fine. I used AVG and it seemed to slow down a LOT

Really? AVG is by far the fastest least-noticeable anti-virus program I've used. My pc loads up with AVG, Winamp and msn messenger in under a minute ready to go, and it isn't the most powerful computer in the world.

Yeah, i was really surprised. But it seemed that before the login menu popped up it would take an age with AVG installed while avast seemed to solve it. Not sure why though, i just say someone on the net with the same problem and they fixed it that way.

So, what good anti-virus programs are out for Windows 7?

Well my recommendation is avast :)

Would highly recommend Comodo's free offering. Sys defence a little whiny tho, so usually disable that part after install and just run the AV and Firewall components.

Never liked AVG - can't fully disable from the SysTray like almost every other AV on the market, which can cause headaches for those apps which require the AV to be disabled for a clean install. Way to many false positives as well.

Ha ha! I knew it. So i wasnt wrong all those posts ago :)

Ha ha! I knew it. So i wasnt wrong all those posts ago :)

Huh? Care to enlighten the rest of us pagans?

I use Norton -- yes I know its not free, but I want to keep their programmers employed :)

Huh? Care to enlighten the rest of us pagans?

A while ago i was like " I think there is some virus software brought out by Microsoft this time" and people were like nah, but i was right! :P

A while ago i was like " I think there is some virus software brought out by Microsoft this time" and people were like nah, but i was right! :P

LOL - you mean other than that disaster called "OneCare"? The newer offering seems to be getting better reviews (quite good reviews it seems), but still not sure I'd be ready to put my faith in it just yet.

Never heard of onecare... See when i was that age i wasnt quite as computer literate as i liked to think i was.. Still not bad for a 12 year old. But yeah, i can't say i remember things like that :P

LOL - OneCare was their first AV offering - only discontinued this year :D

Bumsfeld,

Microsoft has its own antivirus software that will work with Windows 7 called Microsoft Security Essentials. To learn more please go here: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

I will give that a try when I upgrade to Windows 7
thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.