Hello everyone. I recently installed windows 7 and everything is all well except for the sound. I have checked the forum but have found only one thread with this same issue but no solution. I have an Nvidia EVGA 650i Ultra Motherboard. I downloaded the most recent driver from Nvidia and installed it but noticed that it only had the ethernet check box at the start(So i'm guessing the sound drivers were not included but I looked again at the website download page and it lists them. But it was no help). So I then went to the evga website and found the most recent sound driver. I installed it but no sound. I uninstalled it then re-installed it(the driver) again but no sound at all. I checked out the sound department at the computer panel and it recognised the speakers were plugged in and everything else looks very well. I am using a RealTek Audio driver and control panel which recognises that I have plugged in my speakers. Please help me out if you can,
Thank You.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I built two computers that have realtek audio. I also had issues with sound not working on Vista however I think my issue would also apply to Win 7. If you are running win 7 64 bit you may have downloaded the 32 bit driver. They also have a 64 bit driver but you have to search for it. Also check to see that you have the correct codec installed. Your running win 7 so I would say you need the HD audio codec, but there is a small chance you have the older AC'97 and need that codec instead. You can get the codec from realtek but I would suggest getting it from your motherboard manufacturer to be sure it works properly. It is also possible that your current bios does not support sound in win 7. You could try flashing your bios to a more current version. I will warn you though, Flashing you bios can fail and this will cause your computer to no longer boot. Make sure you have your current bios backed up to a bootable disk and that you know how to get the old bios back if things go south. If you're not comfortable with doing this then bring it to a local computer repair store and pay no more than $40-$60 for them to do it. I hope one of these suggestions works for you. Good luck.

You will probably find the driver that works is marked for vista. I used the 4.64_nForce_winvista_audio for my realtek drivers and it worked. It seems the vista drivers are reasonably compatible to win 7.

I built two computers that have realtek audio. I also had issues with sound not working on Vista however I think my issue would also apply to Win 7. If you are running win 7 64 bit you may have downloaded the 32 bit driver.

If experienced in x64 Windows, you should already know that a x86 driver/driver stack, would not even install in the x64 Windows environ - different rules apply for drivers than for applications. As to using Vista drivers for Audio - you can sometimes get away with a regular install, but you may have to use the Compatibility options (in the Properties window) and set to Vista (no service packs) to pull it off.

@konyango - when you say you "uninstalled" drivers, did you simply run the uninstaller, or did you unload the drivers via Device Manager. Is best to use Device Manager first, then run any uninstallers, as simply relying on the latter can leave residual crap which will then prevent a clean install of updated or more correct drivers.

Also, are you:
a) sure that you have a RealTek sound card?
b) have you actually installed the audio driver anyway??

I ask the latter, as the drivers you have described installing are utterly related to your audio requirements, unless you have an on-board audio chip as opposed to separate audio component; and even then some on-boards require a separate driver to be installed. To check, open Device Manager (via Control Panel), and open the Properties panel for "Sound". Use info found under the "Details" Tab - especially the Hardware IDs - to verify exactly what device you need drivers for. Copy/Paste the Hardware ID's here if you get stuck - you'll need to let us know whether you have x86 (32-bit) or x64 Win7 installed, so the correct driver can be sourced :)

I did not have to do either. I just discovered that if you look for win 7 drivers they listed vista/win 7 drivers. Why I suggested an older driver is because I have discovered the up to date drivers do not always work. They should but don't. To date I have not had a problem with sound.

I recommend that you download the Windows Vista driver and install that, that is what i did for my laptop.

Or, if that doesn't work download the windows vista driver, and in the properties of the file select "Compatibility" and select windows vista. Then run the file and install it.

Good Luck.

Cohen

I did not have to do either. I just discovered that if you look for win 7 drivers they listed vista/win 7 drivers. Why I suggested an older driver is because I have discovered the up to date drivers do not always work. They should but don't. To date I have not had a problem with sound.

True on both counts. Win Update upgraded a number of my drivers, but often had to have an initial driver installed before it would actually detect the hardware for an updated driver.... go figure.

As to drivers usually being Vista & Win7, audio drivers often have OS specific driver stacks (as do some other core hardware drivers). While you can usually get away with a Vista driver in Win7, occasionally this is not to be the case

If experienced in x64 Windows, you should already know that a x86 driver/driver stack, would not even install in the x64 Windows environ - different rules apply for drivers than for applications. As to using Vista drivers for Audio - you can sometimes get away with a regular install, but you may have to use the Compatibility options (in the Properties window) and set to Vista (no service packs) to pull it off.

@konyango - when you say you "uninstalled" drivers, did you simply run the uninstaller, or did you unload the drivers via Device Manager. Is best to use Device Manager first, then run any uninstallers, as simply relying on the latter can leave residual crap which will then prevent a clean install of updated or more correct drivers.

Also, are you:
a) sure that you have a RealTek sound card?
b) have you actually installed the audio driver anyway??

I ask the latter, as the drivers you have described installing are utterly related to your audio requirements, unless you have an on-board audio chip as opposed to separate audio component; and even then some on-boards require a separate driver to be installed. To check, open Device Manager (via Control Panel), and open the Properties panel for "Sound". Use info found under the "Details" Tab - especially the Hardware IDs - to verify exactly what device you need drivers for. Copy/Paste the Hardware ID's here if you get stuck - you'll need to let us know whether you have x86 (32-bit) or x64 Win7 installed, so the correct driver can be sourced :)

kaninelupus I never suggested he installed the 32 bit driver. I only suggested he may have downloaded it. In which case the system would not install it and his problem would be no driver at all. That is why I suggested getting the 64 bit driver. Also Nividia boards come with on-board audio that is supported by realtek software and the mobo's codec. He doesn't have a realtek sound card.

hi, im having the same problem, ive installed windows 7 x86, and its automatically installed all my drivers except my sound card. in the device manager i have no information about my sound card, im clueless to which driver i need or which version. (i also lost a partitioned hard drive, but thats another story).

please can someone help me

You should start a new thread and give some info (Namely is it a laptop or PC & what motherboard is it!) about your PC before any one can help you.

I know it sounds obvious but have you found the mute button and clicked on it---it had me going for a while with my new computer until I clicked on the loudspeaker icon.

cause if it isn't I've known a solution to a problem of no sound through driver re-installation. I mathe directions were pretty easy to follow http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot.com/2009/11/vista-no-sound-problem-solved.html tell us back what happened

you were watching a video on how to make money on the net ,how ironic ,annoyance blog is full of adds ,are they how you make your money on the net,or no wait the blog site owner is making the money you are just an assistant

I HAVE ISTALLED WINDOWS 7 BUT THERE IS NO SOUND
my motherboard is of kurisho bl 2oo
(REAL TEK HIGH DEFINATION AUDIO DRIVER NEEDED)

hi
my sound card is vibra 128
my motherr bord is asus and cpu is AMD
and my opreating system is win7
where i can find draive
thank you

Does no-one know how to look for a driver themselves?? How is ppl can find this site but not use Google or such to find the right driver or answers??

a) If on an OEM machine, look to OEM site for a Vista audio driver if no Win7 drivers published (these will at least get you by till you track down something more suitable).
b) If you know the manufacturer and model of your sound card, why is it so difficult to track down a driver (or see if no Win7 driver exists)? You may have to dig a little, but you may be surprised what you turn up in the process.

In reference to the second point, sometimes it is the case where no Win7/Vista drivers exist - especially in the case of many Creative-based cards... their hardware may be great, but their support cycle is dismal! Sometimes there simply is no driver available which is compatible with Win7 (or Vista for that matter).

Also, simply telling us you are on Win7 is not enough. For example, a driver may be available that will work in 32-bit Win7, but never released in 64-bit format. A x86 (32-bit) driver will not install/function in x64 Windows, so you need to be specific.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.