Hello! I'm just curious on everyone's experienice with Windows 8!
I first installed it on an old laptop when the Consumer previews were out, I really didn't like it then for many reasons but my thoughts have changed today. Today I installed the real thing on my main desktop computer and it's really getting to me! I'm loving the speed, the use of flat design, how smooth everything is, and the use of various Segoe UI fonts. I found Metro to be very fun and inviting, but my one complaint as someone with dual monitors was that you can't have metro on one monitor and the desktop on the other (at least I haven't been able to). I'm loving it so far and am going to maybe work with metro and development (DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS). Just interested in any experiences if any.
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

Windows 8 is great aslong as you are familiar with keyboard shortcuts i really recommend spending abit of time to learn them as it can make your experience much faster and smoother. You may want to read this article on windows 8 with dual displays, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx I have dual displays and usually have an app on one screen and desktop on the other for example i have TV Catchup on one screen and my desktop on the other, hope this helps.

Mat

Oh wow thanks for that link!

I hate Metro, however, StarDock is offering a new (reasonably priced) utility called ModernMix which will allow you to run all of the Metro (full screen) apps in windows just like regular desktop apps. Using that would allow you to run Metro apps on multiple desktops. They can also be launched from shortcuts on the taskbar.

StarDock is offering a new (reasonably priced) utility called ModernMix which will allow you to run all of the Metro (full screen) apps in windows just like regular desktop apps

Doesn't Windows 8 do that now?

by my opinion, windows 8 is only worth it if you have a touch screen computer... I bought a windows 8 laptop (lenovo yoga pad) and it is great!

Many people don't like toch screen on a PC because they hate the finger prints all over the screen. I have Windows 8 on a touch screen PC and I don't really care much for it, a lot easier to just use the mouse. I have another PC with Windows 7 and have no intention of upgrading (or downgrading?) to Windows 8 I'll give another look when Windows 9 is released probably in a couple years.

To be quite honest. I love windows 8. I think it's a lot more nifty and provides more productivity to users than windows 7. I know people complain all the time about it, and I've had to face the haters on more than one occasion, but I've normally been able to best them each and every time. But aside from that, it's a pretty good developing platform, especially if you're into visual studio (there's a trial for a utility called 'blend' which I think is just superb). I still have a windows 8 VM running on my windows 7 ultra computer (which, for some reason I didn't ever buy a copy of windows 8 pro when it was really cheap) and it works marvelously. I also bought myself a windows Surface Pro, which runs the windows 8 pro OS on it and that too is pretty freaking cool. I've never actually been able to have something that I could go out to lunch with and work on projects. Overall, I've had a good time with windows 8 and would reccommend it to anyone. Just tell them to get over themselves when they complain about 'omg no start menu, i'm going to die'. >.>"

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I'll give another look when Windows 9 is released probably in a couple years.

I think after reading thread on Daniweb.

I realized I have to wait til Window 9 comes out and to get that system instead of upgrading.

I really hope it will release in a couple of years.

I realized I have to wait til Window 9 comes out and to get that system instead of upgrading.

I don't think 'Windows 9' is going to be released unless MS changes their business model. So far what they've got planned in the future is something called 'Windows Blue' which will incorporate cheaper yearly upgrades (and progressive) rather than a whole new OS every 3 or 4 years.

OMG! I'm so slow! It took me ages to get used to windows 7 when I was gifted a pc with it installed by a returning home ex-pat (previously an XP fanatic), now I have to think about another OS!......Where will it all end?.......

OMG! I'm so slow! It took me ages to get used to windows 7 when I was gifted a pc with it installed by a returning home ex-pat (previously an XP fanatic), now I have to think about another OS!......Where will it all end?.......

At an age many people will not reach to... I will be honest, windows 7 takes way longer to learn than windows 8. but you would get confused a lot when your operating windows 8.

After months of running Windows 8, I recently went back to 7. Somehow, I like 7 better than 8.

What I liked about 8:
-fast and light
-good search speeds and results

What I disliked about 8:
-lackluster graphical design (IMO)... to be honest, I was sad when they stopped using aero
-some games I play now are incompatible with 8
-no ad hoc network support
-STILL no satisfactory drivers for my setup

Based on where MS is going with Windows, I predict that I'll be sticking with 7 until they stop supporting it. I'll then be forced to move on to windows... 10? 11? Who knows when 7 will die? After all, XP still has exactly (at the time of this post) 1 year before it officially dies.

Windows blue is a version of windows 8 with a few added features, not there next Main OS release. But hopefully the next windows will be alot better as they do tend to be good, then bad. Anyone know why that is?

@mat1998x I think it's because they release their work to early, I think we all saw it was vista (at least I did), it was just an unfinished 7.

I'm guessing that every OS they release is either a mainstay or a transistion OS.

From the OS that I have actually 'played' with:

3.x - mainstay
95 - transition from 3.x to a bootable object oriented gui OS that resulted into...
98 - mainstay
ME - transistion from 98 to a user-friendly design that resulted into...
XP - mainstay
Vista - transition from XP to a revolutionary design that resulted into...
7 - mainstay
8 - transition from 7 to an app-centered fast and light OS that's tablet-like in nature that will result to...
? - who knows... high-powered tablet/pc OS?

Ok ya I see what you're saying, that's kind of what I was thinking just wasn't able to put it into words well.

After months of running Windows 8, I recently went back to 7. Somehow, I like 7 better than 8.

What I liked about 8:
-fast and light
-good search speeds and results

What I disliked about 8:
-lackluster graphical design (IMO)... to be honest, I was sad when they stopped using aero

Is this really something to pull an OS up on? In desktop mode it's so similar to Windows 7 I can't tell the difference. Metro mode is definitely different, but having a Windows Phone, the UI is very intuitive and makes a lot of sense.

-some games I play now are incompatible with 8

This shouldn't be the case, especially if they run on Windows 7. Please give examples of the games that are now incompatible on Windows 8 but work on Windows 7. If Microsoft is good at anything, it's backwards compatibility, I still run programs designed for Windows 95 & DOS on my Windows 8 desktop...

-no ad hoc network support

Yes there is. Perhaps not in the basic version? I am running Professional.

-STILL no satisfactory drivers for my setup

For what hardware? I think the only problem I had was my ASUS Soundcard, but the drivers for Windows 7 were just as bad. As I no longer use it, I haven't checked if a Windows 8 driver has been released.

Generally speaking, you can force a Windows 7 driver run on Windows 8 if you can't find a Windows 8 one.

Based on where MS is going with Windows, I predict that I'll be sticking with 7 until they stop supporting it. I'll then be forced to move on to windows... 10? 11? Who knows when 7 will die? After all, XP still has exactly (at the time of this post) 1 year before it officially dies.

As Microsoft are pushing WinRT (not to be confused with Windows RT, Windows RT and Windows 8 are connected by the common Windows RunTime - WinRT) in a big way I suspect Windows 7 will be pushed to the sidelines.

Having used Windows 8 for a while now, it seems that Windows 7 was more like a bridge to prepare for Windows 8.

Windows 8 is faster and has a much smaller memory foot-print. The search functionality is fantastic and the user experience is very good. I also hear that Windows 8 is much better on SSDs than Windows 7 but I have no evidence to back this up yet.

If you slightly alter your way of thinking from the classic OS interface to the new Windows 8 way, you won't ever miss things like your start menu.
When you think about it, the start menu is a clunky and outdated way of accessing anything on your system yet seems to be the biggest complaint :P

Windows Key (to go to metro) -> St (Steam appears) -> Enter (Steam starts running)

If you really want to see a list of all your applications, scroll along the Metro interface. Should all be in there ;)

In desktop mode it's so similar to Windows 7 I can't tell the difference.

For the most part. The only annoyance I feel the need to voice when people ask is that I unintentionally invoke the charms bar when moving my mouse from screen to screen. It's just slow enough to irritate me when the mouse gets locked in the upper right corner of the screen and I wanted it to move to the other screen.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with the Start screen though. It hasn't hampered me in any significant way after about spending about 15 minutes learning what goes where.

Please give examples of the games that are now incompatible on Windows 8 but work on Windows 7.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are two examples from my own library. Granted, I haven't tried very hard in getting them to run, but running them out of the box is full of fail.

If you really want to see a list of all your applications, scroll along the Metro interface. Should all be in there ;)

Should, but aren't always. I've installed several programs (I forget which ones) that didn't show up on the Start screen, nor show up on the list of applications for pinning to the Start screen. They're in the list of installed applications under the Control Panel though, and I was forced to navigate to the installation folder to pin my icon on the Start screen.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are two examples from my own library. Granted, I haven't tried very hard in getting them to run, but running them out of the box is full of fail.

Odd, Fallout 3 does work on my machine with no hassle. I haven't tried Oblivion (not installed) but as they use the same engine I would assume it works too.

I have 200+ games currently installed (60% of them are steam based I admit) and not a single one fails to launch :)

Should, but aren't always. I've installed several programs (I forget which ones) that didn't show up on the Start screen, nor show up on the list of applications for pinning to the Start screen. They're in the list of installed applications under the Control Panel though, and I was forced to navigate to the installation folder to pin my icon on the Start screen.

Another thing I haven't come across. Anything that makes a start menu shortcut should end up in there. Might be worth making a bug report to MS?

I don't have an issue with the charm bar as it only appears when I move the bottom right of my right-most screen. This should be configurable from the settings option in the charm bar itself. If not, can get to it through control panel.

EDIT: Just remember that Fallout 3 works for me on Windows 8 because I had a fix to make it work on Windows 7 (otherwise it doesn't work there either) If you want me to help you get it up and running I can :)

Odd, Fallout 3 does work on my machine with no hassle.

Then send me your machine so that I can play. ;)

EDIT: Just remember that Fallout 3 works for me on Windows 8 because I had a fix to make it work on Windows 7 (otherwise it doesn't work there either)

Interesting. I had no issues at all on Windows 7. And by "interesting" I mean "typical", because Bethesda games are fairly well known for being finicky.

If you want me to help you get it up and running I can :)

I might take you up on that, if I'm unable to get it running when the itch to play gets so strong that I'm willing to put in the effort of making it work. ;) Right now I'm reasonably content with Skyrin (which does work), and various MMOs. I still have everything on my Windows 7 partition, but it's awkward to boot into that with my current setup...

I could never get to grips with Skyrim, it just didn't grab me like the others. Same with Dragon Age. It was just...meh. I think Skyrun is just a but too much effort for me and the time I have available. Skyfun doesn't seem like it has a good enough flowing story. Too much side tracking with very minor points and quests that don't add anything. Seems like an attempt to just inflate the amount of game time.

I tend to play Strategy games and I'm a bit partial to simulation style (Transport Tycoon and Capitalism to name two)

I could never get to grips with Skyrim, it just didn't grab me like the others.

Same here. Oblivion is better in so many ways. It's the same with Fallout 3 versus New Vegas, the former is much better despite being technically inferior on several points.

Same with Dragon Age.

I prefer Dragon Age II over Origins, which doesn't seem to be the prevailing opinion. ;)

Skyfun doesn't seem like it has a good enough flowing story.

I think it would have been better if they didn't cut the faction quest lines so short. Apparently there were bugs or time crunches and they streamlined them into tedious boredom. The main quest as usual wasn't nearly as interesting as all of the side quests and things you could do on your own. That's what I love about Oblivion, Fallout 3, and the like: you're not locked into the main quest from start to finish.

Doesn't Windows 8 do that now?

Nope. Metro apps run full screen. If you like the metro apps you can run them in windows like any other app via ModernMix and if you want to disable Metro (and the charm bar hot spots) you can do that with Start8 (also Stardock) or ClassicDesktop (freeware).

Is this really something to pull an OS up on?

Which one? As you said, desktop mode is similar to 7 so for me it's not a significant factor. While I should be hating metro mode because it fills the entire screen of my bigger than average(?) display, there are ways to make them appear as desktop apps.

Please give examples of the games that are now incompatible on Windows 8 but work on Windows 7

Hmm games that use Games for Windows Live. Well, the games that I play anyway. I just can't get one to run after everything I did.

Yes there is. Perhaps not in the basic version? I am running Professional

I used professional too. I dislike how I have to run netsh commands everytime I want to start an ad hoc connection.

For what hardware?

My laptop. I can't find a suitable driver for my video card. For months, I couldn't watch 3D movies because the drivers can't support 3D. It overheats as well after an hour of intensive gaming.

Anyway, I don't see any problems in the new Start menu. While I used it occasionally (for those easy to find ones xD), I prefer searching for my programs instead of looking for them in the menu.

I am not a fan but at this point have limited exposure to it. There is a solid state drive on my desk getting dusty waiting for me to load up. I have a hard time tossing aside my Win7 box that is nicely configured with all my apps. On an enterprise level we still have a 1/3 of our pc's XP and Win7 is rolling out too slow.

Hmm games that use Games for Windows Live. Well, the games that I play anyway. I just can't get one to run after everything I did.

Possibly similar to Deceptikon, there is a fix for this but I don't need it personally so would need to ask my friend.

I used professional too. I dislike how I have to run netsh commands everytime I want to start an ad hoc connection.

A valid point. I hold to the fact that Ad Hoc networks are EBIL though ;)

My laptop. I can't find a suitable driver for my video card. For months, I couldn't watch 3D movies because the drivers can't support 3D. It overheats as well after an hour of intensive gaming.

nVidia, AMD or Intel? nVidia has brilliant Windows 8 support. I believe the Catalyst drivers might be lagging behind but I have no concrete evidence of this. Intel is up to date now down to HD2000. G35 (and that generation) needs the Windows 7 driver. It may take a little tweaking but it does work :)

Granted it looks like Windows 8 is not for you, but I don't think this is a flaw with the OS. Do you not have to recompile certain drivers for different/updated Kernels in Linux (if indeed that driver exists)?
It's unfortunate that you get to miss out, Windows 8 benefits laptops considerably thanks to its better resource management, but if Windows 7 works and your hardware can't support 8 then I guess you're stuck with it :)

@Ketsuekiame ATI 5870. I believe that that my laptop can and should support 8. It's just that Asus hasn't updated drivers for this thing, and 3rd party drivers from asusrog members don't seem to completely work. If I can find drivers that finally work, maybe I'll give 8 another try. I got the license for free and not using it would seem a waste. When that happens, can I ask for your help regarding the games problems? :P

@NardCake ROFL at "working with Windows 8 support to resolve the issue"

hmmm ... I was thinking of buying myself a new desktop (bit more power under the hood, easier to upgrade, ... ) but with all the mess that Windows 8 basically promisses ....
don't really have the time to go shopping for all different parts and assemble it myself, was hoping for a decent pre-build one.

my greatest fear there: I'm pretty sure it'll come with Windows 8 pre-installed and no decent discs for drivers, except for the "complete back-up, OS and drivers included" crap.

as for Windows 8: the last version of Windows I never had problems with, was Windows 3.11. All went downhill from there :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.