Re: Tbills. You can do better in other markets. Last month I was going over treasury bills verser CDs adn the CDs win even if you would get some no-tax tbill.

Still think many in Congress need to change to another retirement home.

Best moment (so far) of the Michael Cohen testimony was when a GOP member accused him of being a pathalogical liar who could not tell truth from lias and fact from fiction. Cohen replied

Are you talking about me or the president?

The GOP response to the testimony was the classic "if you can't refute his testimony then attack his character". Or in lawyer-speak it would be "discredit the witness".

Looks like Trump is going to pull out the next tool in the GOP bag-o-tricks. If your popularity is tanking and the wolves are at the door, start a war. After all, it's unpatriotic to attack the president during wartime. This time it will be Iran.

After seeing so much unproductive political conversation on social media and the news, I thought I'd try something new.

Eisenhower visited Normandy in 1964 and spoke to Walter Cronkite.

These men came here - the British, and our other allies, Americans - to storm these beaches for one purpose only, not to gain anything for ourselves, not to fulfill any ambitions that America had for conquest, but just to preserve freedom - systems of self-government around the world. Many thousands of men have died for ideals such as these.

Meanwhile, on Trump's recent visit, his "stirring" words were

This is one of the true, in terms of war, in terms of, probably you can also say, in terms of peace, because this led to something very special.

He then went on to trash Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer because, well, Trump.

Oh yes, instead of Walter Cronkite, the most trusted voice in America, Trump was with Laura Ingraham of Fox News.

How did we get to this place?

Meanwhile...

Joe Biden's said in his Iowa speech

I know government is sometimes a knife-fight, but it can’t be a permanent frame of mind. So – yes — I will look to work with the Congress. I will work across the aisle. I will seek to find consensus.

He must have slept through the entire Obama presidency because Obama tried cooperation across the aisle with a party that publicly stated that its job was to prevent the Democrats from doing anything (even initiatives originally proposed by Republicanbs).

I've only looked at a few pages

Then you have read more of the report than most of the Republicans in either House.

commented: So there's a chance I could win a House seat? +0

Trump pretty much just stated that he would like to see the whistleblower executed as a spy. Anyone else find this troubling?

Facebook has an ad policy that "prohibits ads that include claims debunked by third-party fact checkers". This was recently emended to specifically exclude political ads. Political ads can now out-and-out lie, even when those lies have been thoroughly debunked by credible sources. I guess Mr. Zuckerberg has decided that a few more million in ad profits was more important than a function democracy.

The White House just announced that the impeachment process is illegitimate and it will not participate.

Trump was talking about a coup. Looks like it just happened. Congratulations America. You no longer live in a democracy.

commented: "Wish you were here." Also, someone should start a similar discussion on Hong Kong. +0

I haven't checked in for a long time ... We are, for sure, living in the time, long foretold, of Great Deception
... see Matthew 24.

The first thing I heard Trump say, back in 2016, was: I was greedy for myself, but now I'm going to be greedy for the people.

These are clearly the words of a man who has repented ... as we are all are called to do.

Note that true repentance has fruits that can be seen.

For example, has Trump brought back jobs to U.S.A.?

See:

https://youtu.be/ND40ur07Eyo

commented: Are you joking? Trump repented??? Not on this planet +0

I had deleted the previous post for being completely out of touch with reality but I decided to undelete it as an example of how some people are utterly blinded by the right. It is a typical Trumper strategy to make bullshit claims so that the rest of us waste time refuting them. It has been pointed out it takes exponentially more time to refute bullshit than to make it. I don't think it needs more of a response than that.

commented: What can I not now rebut your slander? +0

What can I not now rebut your slander?

Yes, of course you can try. You are free to express your opinions (within the DaniWeb Community Rules), as is Reverend Jim.
You may find that you are a lone voice in this community of rational informed thinking people.

I am quite familiar with Matthew 24. If you are going to quote text, please restrict yourself to fact-based texts. If the sun should darken I might take it more seriously but until then I prefer to ignore a book of fables written by ignorant and superstitious primitives who had little idea of how the world works.

And if you are going to accuse me of slander you'll have to do better than just shout j'accuse. Tell me where you think I am incorrect.

In Matthew 24 we can hear Jesus warning us about the present BIG FAKE NEWS:

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before.

The biggest LIE, so widely repeated these days, is that explosions, (i.e. undirected energy events - like mutations) can sometimes add useful code to a computer program (or useful structure to a computer)... this lie should be easily obviously a lie to any real computer programmer.

commented: Pathetic nonsense. +0
commented: "Bro, you OK?" +0

Based on the PMs I've been getting he is off the deep end. Considering that most of Trump's lies can be easily refuted by viewing actual video clips of Trump there is no need to respond. Except...

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Sounds to me like you are now arguing against Trump. Were you that easy to convince? And as far as I'm concerned BIG FAKE NEWS originated with the old testament and continued with the new testament, the Q'uran, the book of mormon, etc. The trick is to compare the written (and spoken) word with reality. If a book (no matter how old and revered) says the sky is green I'm likely to question everything else in it.

But I don't want to derail this thread. I'd be quite happy to have a reasonable debate (no circular arguments, please) on religion in another thread if you are so inclined. We had a rollicking discussion on Islam a few years ago. It didn't go well for the OP, I'm afraid.

Here's a thought. Assuming Trump is successfully impeached and removed from office, and further assuming that he can then be charged with federal crimes, the Democrats should ensure that those charges are not laid until a Democrat sits as president. We don't want another Nixon fiasco where Ford pardoned him of all crimes. Any crimes, however, that are charged at the state level (are you listening, New York) could proceed immediately since the president can only pardon federal crimes.

A prediction.

If the Democrats decided to focus the impeachment solely on the latest interaction with Ukraine re the Bidens then they will lose the 202o run for the White House. Restricting the impeachment to just this issue would be insane when new impeachable offenses seem to be occuring faster than they can be reported. They will get just one chance to impeach. They should make the most of it.

@Reverend Jim, unfortunately our Congress did not act on the first transgressions. I can't think of which one was first and giving anyone a pass on the first transgressions only makes it harder later. Also, if they go after all the crimes, they could lose if one is lost on some legal misstep.

Of all the crimes, Self-Dealing would have been the easiest. We shouldn't pay the bill at the Mar-a-Lago Club or The Trump Hotel.

Maybe the pigs at the trough are not going to stop the biggest hog.

If they can make a list of 20 impeachable offenses and his shysters manage to knock off even 20% that still leaves a good number for prosecution. If I were hunting the great pumpkin I'd like as many bullets in my gun as I could fit. I wouldn't want just one and run the risk of a misfire.

commented: Or that was the plan all along? +0

Lindsey Graham has just floated the idea of having Republicans sign a pledge that they would never vote to remove Trump from office. I presume this is to show support. What it really says is "no matter what evidence you put before us, no matter what crimes you can absolutely prove Trump has committed, we will find him not guilty." Sort of like a kangaroo court on the Bizarro world.

commented: There's a story where the king said they could not commit a crime. Didn't turn out well for him. +0

Bill Maher likes to play the "What if Obama did it" game. What happened was an interesting exercise in watching Trump's toadies run in circles trying to justify how, once again, there was nothing wrong with what he did.

commented: "Nothing to see here. Move along." More Cunning Stunts to be seen soon. +0

Maybe the 2020 G7 meeting won't be at the Trump National Doral Miami.

Thousands of bedbugs will be going to bed hungry. Of course, in true Trump fashion, instead of admitting it was a bad idea he is blaming the Dems and the corrupt media.

commented: . +0

I highly recommend the book "Commander in Cheat : How Golf Explains Trump" by Rick Reilly. It's not only enlightening but also amusing, especially for golfers, but you don't have to be one to enjoy it.

I see Trump is running out of sporting events he can attend. He got booed at the World Series, then again (only worse) at the UFC match. Of course, his supporters are spinning it so he appears even more popular than ever. Perhaps he will soon be limited to golf, and only on his courses. He should be able to get tee time as his venues are being boycotted more and more.

commented: Along with others I would not play golf with are V. Putin, K. Jong-Un, and most leaders. +0

GOP legislators flatly deny that Trump is guilty of "X" no matter what "X" is. It's telling that when they are instead asked, would it be illegal if a president did "X", they refuse to say either yes or no. If they answer "no" then they are admitting that they believe Trump is above the law. They can't answer "yes" because they know that Trump is guilty of "X" and a yes answer would cause enormous blowback later.

commented: Still debated "The king can do no wrong" or "Sovereign Immunity." +0

Two Democrats voted against impeachment. Coincidentally (Yeah. Right.) Both are from very conservative regions where they narrowly won their seats, and would likely lose them in the next election if they sided with their party. Remember that every time you hear the Dems ragging on GOP members for putting self-interest ahead of the country.

My autumn fantasy - The impeachment hearings go very well and when Trump gets convicted in the Senate, the verdict is announced as "You're fired!"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.