Hi everyone,

Last night before going to bed, I was thinking in general as to what online "communities" really mean? People obviously come for different reasons, some to get immediate help and stay while others come and leave. For myself, I came to Dani Web because I was having problems with my laptop, which sadly had died:sad: and to get to know more about computers. I have no interest, for now that is, in the IT field but only wish to have fun and learn more about computers. Also, and most importantly, I want to get to know people and make new friends. Computers are objects but all of you are REAL people with unique and special qualities.

Just imagine if you have a problem you need to talk about or have a PC crash, all you have to do is go online and with the amount of people presently here someone will be there to help right away in real time. That is cool:lol: .....Justine

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

What does DaniWeb mean to me? It means that all of the allnighters I pulled while in college developing her and growing her were more than worthwhile.

How many allnighters and shouldn't you be in bed hmmm?....Justine

A LOT of allnighters (she still does them) and no, it was noon her time when she posted that :)

Daniweb means to me, lots of phone calls.

How many allnighters and shouldn't you be in bed hmmm?....Justine

Allnighters: this is quite common for those in the industry of IT, specifically programming; why this is would require a dissertation on the sub-culture of "geek, techie, video game junkie, hacker, artist, perfectionist, workaholic". It is not to say we are ALL these things, but there are many coinciding areas we all enjoy.

I have the luxury of working from home with no rat-race schedule to adhere to (also, no uniform, required haircuts, no office politics interaction :rolleyes: to disstract me and waste company time)-- this is a dream-come-true and a blessing. I set my own hours (if I decide to even work at all on a certain day.) There is a "schedule", deadlines for the job to be completed, sure, but the people I work with and the people I work for are like me-- they all work from home from around the world on this 2-year long project and it seems to work out great.

If I stay up until 5 A.M. and sleep until 2 P.M.-- I get 9-hours sleep. :cheesy: It's really all relative.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Member Avatar for iamthwee

What does Dani Web mean to you?

I hope what it means to me is similar to what it means to everyone else. Daniweb is just a bit of lighthearted fun.

Afterall when I'm lying on my death bed, I won't be remembering the time I have spent at Daniweb. That'd be pretty sad.

Hopefully I'll be remembering stuff from my real life - like those little idiosyncrancies you share with someone you're fond of.

And if I can't remember anything meaningful, hopefully the hot nurse standing by my death bed will give me something better to remember. :p

To me DaniWeb is an emerging community, and watching it grow and bloom is what turns me on...

I'm feeling a bit pathetic right now that I'm the only one who referred to DaniWeb as a "she" ... but I meant it in the "captain and her ship" type of way.

I'm feeling a bit pathetic right now that I'm the only one who referred to DaniWeb as a "she" ... but I meant it in the "captain and her ship" type of way.

;) I was just going to comment on that.

To me, Daniweb is a solely a place of learning. It is the only place I mod at, and I guess it just teaches ya stuff about people. Oh, and I can't even relate to how much technical knowledge I've learned just watching threads here.

Oh, and I think it's worth saying that when I found Daniweb early last year, it's what really pushed me into the nerd I am.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

What gender do you refer to your bowling alley project as?

I just signed up today, but I've seen so much useful information that I guess that soon Daniweb will mean "one of the best tech's resource" for me, and I'm sure for the others 130k members too :)

As for the allnighters, I really understand you... and I spend most of my day participating and sharing what I learn, instead of developing a couple more sites :p

Allnighters are a way of life for anyone working to deadlines I guess, or maybe it is just us creative types. I am no coder, I am a writer - but I create my best stuff late into the night, and always have.

Mind you, when it gets to 5am I do tend to need a big caffeine kick be that via coffee, Jolt Cola or some DoDo tablets (possibly a very British thing, never thought about it, but over the counter pep pills basically.)

To me DaniWeb started out as 'just another web site', but slowly and surely, it's developed into one of those places you can't do without. I've seen it grow from childhood and reach maturity. To me, DaniWeb is the source of information, a place where you know people are friendly and will help you out and definitely a place I love being at. It's the only place where regular members are free to strike up a communication with the Mods and Admins. It's one of the few places where the Community Spirit truly shows.

...now let me wipe away my tears. <snif>

DaniWeb is the go to place for programming discussion and everything else related to the IT field. It's a well respected website with a lot of talent running it. I'm glad to be a part of it :D

It's the only place where regular members are free to strike up a communication with the Mods and Admins. It's one of the few places where the Community Spirit truly shows.

Thank you VERY much for that.:mrgreen:

It's the only place where regular members are free to strike up a communication with the Mods and Admins. It's one of the few places where the Community Spirit truly shows.

*nods*

Yay :) My community building efforts are starting to pay off!

i love daniweb
i think its great

i joined when i was like 13 or 14, back when daniweb was much different from it as we know it today and i havent looked back since

there is a good, friendly atmosphere as (most) people obey the rules and dont go offtopic or flame and the mod team is really proactive (keep up the good woek guys)

also its free, easy to navigate and there are no forums that are empty if you know what i mean. also dani actually listens to your ideas and gets involved in discussions like these

A virtual family ?

Daniweb is just a great to read stuff and give comments. Excellent job cscgal welldone!!!

Help and Information, plus to me to read some of the replys here and see how smart people are it makes me want to work harder to be right there with them.

It's one of the ONLY places there are people from around the world on similar topics. That's why I like DaniWeb, regardless of how long it's been since i joined....

Daniweb is a way for me to help people more easily learn the things that I've had to struggle through.

Daniweb means to me .. Sharing of Knowledge but you guys and gals do it so nicely ... and experiences ..

Allnighters and Graveyard shiftss .. Unfortunately workings nights gave me weird sleep habits or do i miss graveyards. When I was a night shift sgt. I would visit my friends at the hospital, dispatchers, pge crews.. i think we all shared experiences having to be awake when most people sleep... I used to learn from them and I used to just listen ... It's like Daniweb.

The night time gives me time to write my songs and learn a little more about my computers.

Mahalo Dani and a BEEEG Hug to you

Daniweb is a great place where I can 'hang out' among a community which is truly unqiue among all those I have seen across the net. You mods are truly amazing...have I ever seen a stupid person posting garbage in all my time here? No. That sort of stuff really kickstarts my angry cells and it's so nice to go somewhere where you know that won't happen.

Hats off to everyone at Daniweb =D

Means helping others and just being as friendly as possible :)

Making friends,etc :)

Daniweb!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.