The whole site had a user-friendly environment, I noticed that all area are on the right place. But one thing I've noticed the tutorials are so dull/empty,why?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

>But one thing I've noticed the tutorials are so dull/empty,why?
Probably because not many people are good at writing quality tutorials...

Did the staff took any step to encourage those who could post a quality tutorials?

commented: *take* -1

I wasn't ever encouraged, so either I suck at writing tutorials, or no. ;)

I wasn't ever encouraged, so either I suck at writing tutorials, or no. ;)

Having read a couple off your website, I'd go for the latter :icon_wink:

How could i automatic unsubscribe from a thread?

automatically unsubscribe? I think there's a setting in the CP to not automatically subscribe...

Yeah you need to ask the staff to submit tutorials. If you could user submit i think it would be better.

>If you could user submit i think it would be better.
The reason it's invitation-only is because previously there was a number of low-quality tutorials. To deal with the huge number of tutorials that got submitted, Dani decided to make it this way, so DaniWeb has publication-quality tutorials.

Like Joe said, it was an open user-submitted operation for the longest time, but the tutorials section became stuffed with some, frankly, rather poor quality content as a result.

So Dani and I took a decision to go for less volume but higher quality, something which will benefit everyone in the long run.

In order to submit a tutorial now you have to contact me and we can discuss your idea. The submitted copy is then put on hold and reviewed/edited before it finally appears.

The reason there are so few tutorials currently is simply because a couple of months ago we took the opportunity to totally revamp the tutorials section, which meant the majority of postings were either deleted (for such things as copyright violation where they were cut and pasted from other sites) or moved back into forum threads (where they were of too low a quality for tutorials for whatever reason, be that too old, poorly written, or simply not really a tutorial at all.)

So yes, at the moment there isn't a lot there, but what there is should be of the kind of quality you would hope to find at DaniWeb.

I offered to add some of my tutorials here but the offer was rejected. So I've just been pointing to another forum where they are hosted, as are a couple other people here...

(thanks guys :))

The offer was appreciated Walt, but your tutorials already appear elsewhere (and many were rather old, as you yourself admitted) so would not be adding fresh and exclusive content for DaniWeb - hence we couldn't take them.

I made that APT tutorial and the LAMP one and you rejected it :(

The offer was appreciated Walt, but your tutorials already appear elsewhere (and many were rather old, as you yourself admitted) so would not be adding fresh and exclusive content for DaniWeb - hence we couldn't take them.

Since I am the author, I could update them... :icon_wink:

Looks like we get to see the dark side of Davey when tutorials are concerned. ;-)

Since I am the author, I could update them... :icon_wink:

Point me at what you consider to be the best two tutorials you have penned, and which could be updated for exclusive DaniWeb publication and I will be happy to take another look.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.