Hello Techies,

I'm not a techie, just love computers. I bought a Toshiba lap top about 2 years ago and since then, I've had nothing but problems. Thank GOD I purchased a warranty because now I get a new lap top for the same price I paid. Basically, what is the best lap top computer I can get for $1699.00? I've heard that I should go with an Apple because they have less problems than Windows based systems. I am totally scared of Windows Vista....I think that probably has a lot of bugs to work out. I basically want to use my lap top to cruise the Internet, download music, upload video to make DVD's and have a decent battery life.

I get to do this on Saturday so any advice would be so greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

>Basically, what is the best lap top computer I can get for $1699.00?
That's a very subjective question to which there is no correct answer.

>I've heard that I should go with an Apple because they have less
>problems than Windows based systems.
Macs are fairly reliable, but that doesn't mean there aren't reliable PC brands available, too.

>I am totally scared of Windows Vista
There aren't very many PC manufacturers that still sell laptops with Windows XP preinstalled.

You'll probably want to take a look at the Apple MacBook. It's $1250 USD, I believe, and it has decent built-in wireless capability, comes preinstalled with the DVD authoring tool iDVD, although you might be a little disappointed with the battery life you get from using it. For me, I get around 2 hours under heavy usage, maybe 4 if I'm doing something simple like word processing. Oh, and the hardware aspect of it is excellent. Never had a problem.

Another brand that is fairly decent are the Sony laptops. Acer and Dell are also worth a peek, too.

Macbooks suck.. Vista is too buggy now.. I would try to stick with XP pro, if at all possible. Check out newegg.com or bestbuy.com and look at their laptops.. On newegg, you can search for the components you want (amd processor, 802.11g cards, 2 gigs of ram, 200 gig hd, etc.. are the specs that I would look for)

I would personally go with hp, I've used their laptops in the past, and I think they are very reliable.. or dell..

>Macbooks suck
You aren't helping anyone with that statement. Give some reasons to back yourself up and maybe I'll respect you a little bit.

>I would try to stick with XP pro, if at all possible.
Is there any reason you give for not recommending XP Home, if all the OP does is surf the net, listen to music, and author DVDs?

>I would personally go with hp, I've used their laptops in the past,
>and I think they are very reliable
From what I've read, HP has a very poor repair history. Dell is typically more reliable in terms of low-midrange laptops.

I've also heard some poor things about HP-Compaq laptops. My dad and sister each have one, and they've had a couple problems but nothing major. My Toshiba's been fine for the little over two years I've had it, but if you've had problems it's understandable that you'd want something else. Sony has a very good rep, and the Macbooks are pretty popular. If you look at dells, go for some of the pricier ones within your budget. You get what you pay for...

>I would try to stick with XP pro, if at all possible.
Is there any reason you give for not recommending XP Home, if all the OP does is surf the net, listen to music, and author DVDs?

XP Pro's EOL is later than that of XP home

You aren't helping anyone with that statement. Give some reasons to back yourself up and maybe I'll respect you a little bit.

I dislike them for many reasons, but here is not the place to discuss that. I would not recommend buying a macbook unless you want to do a lot of video editing, graphics design, etc.. Especially if you have never used a MAC before b/c then you will have to get use to a new os.

XP Pro just has much more it can offer the user especially from a networking standpoint.. It is much easier to adapt to any working environment, and it offers the user more.. However, if the OP simply wants to surf the net, listen to music, etc. there is nothing wrong with XP home.

From what I've read, HP has a very poor repair history. Dell is typically more reliable in terms of low-midrange laptops.

Really? I have never had any problems with hp.. but I do agree that dell is probably more reliable.

Whatever brand you buy, someone will tell you it sucks. From personal experience Advent suck and Acer are good (aside from minor random overheating like problems). Toshiba are good in my friends eyes because she's had a laptop for a few years and it's been ok. Dell is poor because their laptops blow up. but someone else will have had a machine for 6 years and be fine.

I think you should just look at specs of an indiviual machine, duo core processor and a gig of so or ram and it should be all good.

>I dislike them for many reasons, but here is not the place to discuss that.
We're not discussing why you don't like them, we're trying to discuss why the OP should/shouldn't buy something. If you don't give any reasons, what makes your statement constructive or helpful? How is anyone supposed to believe you when you refuse to give reasons why not to buy it?

I agree with Infarction about the Sony laptops. They do cost more than Dells, but tend to be more reliable and of higher quality than Dell or HP.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Macbooks suck.. Vista is too buggy now.. I would try to stick with XP pro, if at all possible. Check out newegg.com or bestbuy.com and look at their laptops.. On newegg, you can search for the components you want (amd processor, 802.11g cards, 2 gigs of ram, 200 gig hd, etc.. are the specs that I would look for)

I would personally go with hp, I've used their laptops in the past, and I think they are very reliable.. or dell..

Why do you think Macbooks suck and what is an XP pro? Is that a Mac?

Unfortunately, I can only get whatever Best Buy sells. It is part of my warranty that replaces my laptop if it fails 4 times, same problem. I get the a swap to the value of what I purchased. So i guess i'm trying to get the best i can get from whatever Best Buys sells. thank you for your opinion though.

Thank you for the conversation on this. I have never used a mac before and that is what makes me hesitate. Do you think it is too difficult to get used when purchasing a Macbook? What do you mean by "unless you want to do alot of video editing and graphics design etc...........

>Why do you think Macbooks suck
Here is "not the place to discuss it". :icon_rolleyes:

>what is an XP pro? Is that a Mac?
There are different versions of Windows XP. The most common one is XP Home. Windows XP Professional costs more, in return for more features.

>Unfortunately, I can only get whatever Best Buy sells.
Are you allowed to customize the laptop? Because most laptops' hardware can be configured for more RAM, larger hard disks, etc., so you would get your money's worth.

>Do you think it is too difficult to get used when purchasing a Macbook?
It's a new operating system, but I do believe you'll get used to it very quickly. In fact, the less of a power user you are, the easier you'll find an OS switch to be.

>What do you mean by "unless you want to do alot of video editing
>and graphics design etc...
I think what he means is that video editing and graphic design is one of Mac's strengths. But he has yet to state a reason why one shouldn't get a Mac if they aren't doing this.

Thank you Joe, you are a wealth of information. I'm a pretty bright person so i don't think i will have a problem either. I appreciate you answering my stupid questions. I don't believe i get to design a computer, just select from whatever they are selling. I see the only Apple Computers they sell are MacBooks. I guess high RAM and and memory are the two things I should shoot for.

>I guess high RAM and and memory are the two things I should shoot for.
RAM is memory. But yes, if you decide to buy a MacBook, you'll probably want more than the default 512 MB that comes with them.

Stick with what you're used to.. I wouldn't recommend a macbook because you will have to get used to another operating system, and they are not compatible with as much hardware/software as microsoft's os. Again, I suggest you buy Microsoft Windows XP Professional or XP Home. A system with 2 gigabytes of RAM, 150-200 gigabytes of hardrive capacity, a nice amd dual core processor, and wireless ethernet should run you well under $1700. The laptop I am purchasing for college has all those specs, a dvd burner, a finger print scanner, and a 17 inch screen for only $1049.

>Stick with what you're used to
Right. So since the original poster is used to Toshibas, he/she should get another one just like it. Or are you saying that hardware doesn't apply in this case?

>I wouldn't recommend a macbook because you will have to get used to another operating system
That's why they suck?

>they are not compatible with as much hardware/software as microsoft's os
But the original poster didn't say that he/she used a lot of hardware/software. :icon_rolleyes:

>Stick with what you're used to
Right. So since the original poster is used to Toshibas, he/she should get another one just like it. Or are you saying that hardware doesn't apply in this case?

Oh, don't be a smart a$$.. You knew perfectly well that I was only referring to software.. The difference between apple and microsoft OS is a lot larger than the negligible difference between laptop manufacturers..

>I wouldn't recommend a macbook because you will have to get used to another operating system
That's why they suck?

Did I say that? No...

>they are not compatible with as much hardware/software as microsoft's os
But the original poster didn't say that he/she used a lot of hardware/software. :icon_rolleyes:

Better safe than sorry.. I don't know about you or the OP, but I would rather ensure that all my software and hardware was supported than go out and buy a machine that does not support the software I intend to use...

>You knew perfectly well that I was only referring to software
Should differences in software be what keeps you from switching?

>Did I say that?
You still haven't said why they suck, and when you give two reasons why not to buy them, one is inclined to believe that at least one of these is why you think they're not very good.

>Better safe than sorry
When the original poster states "I basically want to use my lap top to cruise the Internet, download music, upload video to make DVD's and have a decent battery life", it implies that they don't use a lot of hardware or software. And if that is really a concern, a little bit of research will quickly reveal whether or not the hardware/software you own will be compatible with your future Macintosh.

Should differences in software be what keeps you from switching?

Actually, yea.. If you're used to something.. and it works, then why change and learn something new? This is exactly why many people refuse to switch from xp to vista.

When the original poster states "I basically want to use my lap top to cruise the Internet, download music, upload video to make DVD's and have a decent battery life", it implies that they don't use a lot of hardware. And if that is really a concern, a little bit of research will quickly reveal whether or not the hardware you own will be compatible with your future Macintosh.

Hey, just because he only wants to do that now, doesn't mean that's the only thing he will ever want to do.. Might as well have a wide range of options.. gaming, tons of software and hardware options..

Truthfully, it's all about preference. You obviously prefer apple, and I Mirosoft. It truthfully doesn't matter which.. But I recommend that you decide what you will want the laptop for, and buy one that best suits your needs..

>If you're used to something.. and it works, then why change and learn something new?
If you want to look at it that way, there's nothing stopping you from using Boot Camp to install Windows on a Mac.

>just because he only wants to do that now, doesn't mean that's the
>only thing he will ever want to do
Understood. But if you haven't acquired any hardware, you just have to keep Mac compatibility in mind when shopping for software and hardware when you own a Mac. Not much different from Linux.

>You obviously prefer apple, and I Mirosoft.
In some situations, yes. In this one I believe that the Apple MacBook is an ideal solution. Not to say that there aren't good PC-based laptops available that would give the OP what they're is looking for. There's a time and a place for Windows, Mac and Linux.

>But I recommend that you decide what you will want the laptop
>for, and buy one that best suits your needs..
Excellent advice.

commented: Ok.. Makes sense to me. +7

>Better safe than sorry
When the original poster states "I basically want to use my lap top to cruise the Internet, download music, upload video to make DVD's and have a decent battery life", it implies that they don't use a lot of hardware or software. And if that is really a concern, a little bit of research will quickly reveal whether or not the hardware/software you own will be compatible with your future Macintosh.[/quote]

Yes, you are correct Joe. I really want to use the software that comes with the Mac to do the video editing - DVD creating work i plan to do. Also, I know that I can purchase Microsoft Office for Mac's which will take care of the other software needs i have. Basically, I will need to get used the Mac OS but can it be that difficult? I don't think i will have a problem. I have had so many problems with Viruses and com PC's crashing, hardware failing, software having "bugs"...........So I bought it! The black Mac Book,
MB063LL/A Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor 2.16GHz; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 160GB hard drive; 1GB DDR2 SDRAM; built-in AirPort Extreme; built-in Web cam; Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

I can increase the ram by 1GB. Thank you so much for the conversation. I appreciate everything.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new laptop. Drop by the Mac forums if you ever need any help. :)

Thank you Joe, I will totally drop by the Mac Forums for advice. My horizons are expanding by the day (and I'm a woman).......Josh referred to me as a he.....

Thank you everyone (josh and Joe esp)

Stick with what you're used to.. I wouldn't recommend a macbook because you will have to get used to another operating system, and they are not compatible with as much hardware/software as microsoft's os. Again, I suggest you buy Microsoft Windows XP Professional or XP Home. A system with 2 gigabytes of RAM, 150-200 gigabytes of hardrive capacity, a nice amd dual core processor, and wireless ethernet should run you well under $1700. The laptop I am purchasing for college has all those specs, a dvd burner, a finger print scanner, and a 17 inch screen for only $1049.

fuck me, man your's kicks mines ass and mine was about the same price (exchange rates and all). But mine has...... built in webcam! ha!

don't tell him it doesn't really work. *shifty*

and the macbook sounds like it will suit you well RW :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.