Just noticed that today, what on earth does the number nxt to the rep blocks mean or relate to?
I have 3 but i don't know what it means!!

Thanks

Serunson

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

It means you have a reputation power of 3. The blocks have been used to give a graphical representation of everyone's estimated reputation power. The number is the actual value, which I chose to now display. Up until now, users were only able to see their own rep number, but not others.

What's the significance of the numbers? I have 2 green dots, a power of 4, and 120 point(s) [which is secret].. is there some simple mathematic relationship between points, green squares and power? 1 power integer = 30 points = 0.5 green squares? Green squares relationship there can't be right, because I see people with one more green dot than me might have 10+ more rep power than me.. is that because green dots aren't linearly mapped to rep points? Or is each measure related to other things than rep given, or is rep-power relative over all members? I must admit, it is quite confusing without clear explanation.

Green dots = linearly mapped to Reputation points. Rep power = the number of points that you can affect someone else's reputation when you give them a positive or negative comment. Rep power is based on a number of factors including your own reputation, how many posts you have, how long you've been a member, etc. Only thing that's changed = Nothing is secret anymore.

Visit my member profile and look at the rep section to clarify what I've said.

commented: Great Idea. I like it :) +12

does other poster have an effect on your rep, like the link that says add to ,,,,,,,,rep

>> Reputation-Altering Power
What is that? both you and I (and probably everybody else too) its value is 0.

Hm. I understood that for a moment, but now I see another, different, number.. your 'reputation altering power' on your profile = 9, but your 'rep power' as shown under your name on posts = 31.. aren't they the same thing? That's what I understood from your post.

Mine are different to; on my posts it's 4, on my profile it's 6..

so can i click on add to your rep to increase the green dot for U

Ha! I think it is just there to show who you can afford to start an argument with.

so can i click on add to your rep to increase the green dot for U

You can; but as far as I know, all reputation given in coffee house boards isn't counted towards (any?) of the scores.

EDIT: Oh.. you can't click on the picture of the dot itself if that's what you meant.. you click on "Add to bobbyraw's Reputation".. Except, you can't give yourself reputation either.

thanks for the infor, i was aware that i would not be able to give myself a rep, how many post make you move up the rank. like in your case matt i see u have 729 is ther a number u have to reach to go past master what i mean is there a range 0- 50 newbie 51`-100 and so on is that the range that used

Ah, that's a different number; When I submit this reply, I will have 731 posts, but my reputation score is different - it's based on people clicking that "add to mattevans' reputation" link, which is strictly independant from the number of posts I've made. Optimistically, there is a correlation between my number of posts and my reputation points, but that'd only be because more people see my posts, there being more of them, thus there being a higher probablity of my posts being read by someone who appreciates them, or of course, is annoyed enough by them to give 'anti reputation points'.

The titles like 'Master Poster' are based on number of posts; although certain users can change their title to anything they want - Dani for example sets her title to 'The Queen of Daniweb', other people can do that aswel. I can't, I guess you can't either.

To find them out what the un-changed title will be at any number of posts.. well, I don't know if there's a table showing this publically available; but : http://www.daniweb.com/forums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=50 go through the list of members ordered by post count if you want; it'll tell you many of the titles.

>> Reputation-Altering Power
What is that? both you and I (and probably everybody else too) its value is 0.

Hm. I understood that for a moment, but now I see another, different, number.. your 'reputation altering power' on your profile = 9, but your 'rep power' as shown under your name on posts = 31.. aren't they the same thing? That's what I understood from your post.

Mine are different to; on my posts it's 4, on my profile it's 6..

There was a profile bug. It's fixed now.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

I found change in profile view, is it true ?
And i can see others reputation numbers as you say Dani that no other can see numbers. Although its clear point that no one can give reputation to its own so why it show 'Add to (own ID) reputation' in own members post ?? and also why it shows 'send private message to (own ID)' ?
I think Dani you need to configure for it or its inbuilt Javascript by Vbulletin ?

The titles like 'Master Poster' are based on number of posts; although certain users can change their title to anything they want - Dani for example sets her title to 'The Queen of Daniweb', other people can do that aswel. I can't, I guess you can't either.

If you are a paying member of DW you get extras. One of which I beleive is the ability to set your own title.

Yes, Moderators, Super Moderators, Admins and Donators can have custom titles.

PS: And oh Dani, how is it that you have a rep power of 31 by having 4 dots and I have 21 inspite of having 6 dots?

Read post #4, part of the calculation is length of membership, which Dani wins hands down.

My relatively recent join date and low post count does me in, despite the lush field of green ;)

Thanks for confirming what it means Dani , even though we started going off on a tangent :P .
I'm going to see how high i can get that number :)

Yes, Moderators, Super Moderators, Admins and Donators can have custom titles.

PS: And oh Dani, how is it that you have a rep power of 31 by having 4 dots and I have 21 inspite of having 6 dots?

Yep, as Dani said.. post count, reputation, and length of membership all play a part in determining one's rep power :) Remember, before we had to rep each other to see how much rep we could give lol..

Read post #4, part of the calculation is length of membership, which Dani wins hands down.

My relatively recent join date and low post count does me in, despite the lush field of green ;)

Yep, I have more than you :P. I think post count actually plays the biggest part.. which is good :)

[edit] BTW Dani, I think this was a great idea! However, I was wondering if others could also see your infractions. For example, can people see "Infractions" in the attached screenshot, and can they see my infractions like I can when I click to view my own profile?

Reputation is public. However, only moderators and yourself can see any information about your infractions.

I have none of those, so nothing to worry about there :P

i was a bit confused on the whole "green square" and rep points and power myself, but now i read this lovely thread. Now I feel a tad less lost in the daniweb world. HAHA

Well, I'm glad you read it and researched yourself instead of making your own thread asking the exact same question! :)

Yeah, I know..... Ihave common sense "golf clap"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.