Hi all, hope you are well. I am starting a new job soon where I will be using a red hat distro (new to me) for development purposes. Now I have had some exposure to the linux o/s (on a degree course, used Ubuntu) but I have mainly worked with development in the .net framework on a windows o/s. Now I know this job entails use of Vi (new to me) so my question is.....

1.Are there any good Vi tutorials you can point me to?

2.Are there any pitfalls you can advise to me look out for during migration?

3.This may seem like a silly question, but is there anything like Vi (I know that Vi is an advanced text editor - is textpad the closest thing to it?) that I can use for dev on windows for practice? (I want to be prepared for job - although training is given).
Many thanks for your time!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>Are there any good Vi tutorials you can point me to?

Gentoo has a very nice 'vi cheatsheet' guide. While it is a little bit more command-oriented (rather than being written like a tutorial), the style suits the topic well, as vi generally doesn't tend to be complex, it just has a lot of commands.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/vi-guide.xml

>Are there any pitfalls you can advise to me look out for during migration?

Application support. You might heavily depend on some Windows software, and it might end up turning into a lot of work to find a replacement and figure out how to use it. Tasks that you are familiar with in Windows will have to be relearned again in Linux.

>This may seem like a silly question, but is there anything like Vi (I know that Vi is an
>advanced text editor - is textpad the closest thing to it?) that I can use for dev on windows
>for practice?

Download vim for Windows. In fact, I actually recommend using vim instead of vi anyway. Vim is basically vi with some added features, so if you only use vi's basic features, you won't notice the difference, and you have added power if you need it.

commented: great help, all q.s answered v. well! +2

great thanks a lot for your reply. I hadnt realised there was a Vim for windows. Great help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.