Hi,
Pretty simple question here. I am just wondering about putting together my first website. I have the new Photoshop CE and I would like to use this to put the website together. BUT... I am pretty good with the mouse and clicking around and using photoshop but I want to get better with the code behind it and be able to build with code.

Where do I begin? Language? What sort of help can you give me?

Any help would be terrific and so very appreciated

Thanks again,

VBM

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

this is how i did it:

Learned HTML > XHTML > JAVASCRIPT> PHP

i also learned ajax (pretty much javascript) and xml (really easy).

there are many other choice for server side scripting you can look into thoughs and see what you like best.

Good Tutorial For Everything: www.w3schools.com

Start learning asp.net, because then you could use visual web developer 2008 express edition, which is absolutely remarkable, for a free software.

To start, go to www.asp.net
Then click on LEARN, and just start watching the asp.net introduction videos!
Thats how i did it, and look at what ive accomplished just after a couple of months: www.thefilegarage.com

And whatever you choose, the most important thing is to KEEP AT IT!

p.s. You dont make a website with photoshop. You only use photoshop to make the logos and graphics and stuff.

@hervens you sound like these promotion guys from microsoft that come to our universty few days back. Talking how all they application are wonderfull and reliable, they mistake that they did not check that over 50% of equipment is runing on Linux in our uni. Showing of Silverlight (poor copy of Flash), Expression (never get to level with Photoshop Elements so it will be no competition for full version of Photoshop) and ASP? Just please do not mention it! One of the slowest websites on net are actualy builded from ASP, I rather learn PHP or take little longer to do my website with JSP

@Vic842 - first learn HTML and CSS, have quick look on JavaScript to get feeling what programming can be like. Once you familiar with these technologies check out PHP, advanced JavaScript and AJAX, and choose what is most suitable to you. If you have spare time have aslo look on XML and databases (MySQL for example)

Thanks for the help any other information you can give would be great. You advice aseems to be the way to from the other responses I have gotten.

Thanks again
VBM

Once you reach advnce topics it would be good if you look on server solution (twaeking Apache, adding modules, security issues etc.), have look into how to build&run forums.
Beside all this technical stuff you can also try multimedia, Flash is still popular for web design, I even seen somebody still running website based on Director...

@peter_budo. Director is due for a huge makeover. Just for some reason Adobe are taking their sweet time.

@Vic842. If you already know Photoshop, then have a look at splitting the images. Then use (X)HTML and CSS to put it all together into a website.

A good XHTML/CSS reference; www.htmldog.com

Kind regards

thank you very much

look like none of u prefer JSP.
i am intership in a company, the they want me to use JSP....

JSP make me busy for learning from the basic....

dude, learn HTML/CSS first using notepad (without an graphical editor!!!!!!) and you will learn much more about how it actually works plus you will make far far better, faster sites.

look like none of u prefer JSP.
i am intership in a company, the they want me to use JSP....

JSP make me busy for learning from the basic....

Well if you checked my profile you would find that I'm JAVA lover. I did not suggested to use JSP as Vic842 has no previos programming knowledge. For him it would be long term shot or suicide to do any development in JSP as he first would need to get some JAVA background.

Yous are all missing the main point in the first post (except jbennet). This is a beginner we are talking about and as the saying goes, you got to craw before you walk. Unless you use a program to do the hard work, I would strongly suggest in the first year of learning, learn all the basics of html (such as <font> <table> <b> <i><u> <a href...>).

Then when you feel you know most of html, then start learning something more advanced such as jsp, php, asp, java etc. This is because learning one of these advanced/complex languages to start with can become a bit overwhelming.

Note:
I remember learning my first web language (html) about 8 years ago and the easiest way to learn for the first 2 months is by copying html from other websites until you understand what they mean by which time you will start to learn writing them from scratch.
So learn html for a year then learn something more advanced.

Yous are all missing the main point in the first post (except jbennet).

@Vic842 - first learn HTML and CSS, have quick look on JavaScript to get feeling what programming can be like. Once you familiar with these technologies check out PHP, advanced JavaScript and AJAX, and choose what is most suitable to you. If you have spare time have aslo look on XML and databases (MySQL for example)

Please read all the post before jumping into discussion and make suggestions :@ :angry:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.