Hello, I just wanna ask if web designers need to master programming like java, C++ etc? coz I'm not good at it, I Mean really suck at it no matter how hard and long I practice it I just dont get it and when I do I forget in a few days.. I'm pretty descent on HTMLs, css and working my imagination is that what it takes? do still have a chance pursuing the career of being a web designer? thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Web design these days is more about dynamic pages than static, so you probably won't just be using HTML and CSS. Using things like Javascript, PHP, ASP, and databases is a lot easier when you have some programming experience. If you can't work with those technologies, you could probably still get a job skinning/styling pages, but you won't be as marketable as a web designer.

I disagree, but this may be a regional thing. If you are looking for a job as a web designer here, you are not expected to be able to program (except maybe javascript and the likes). Several of the companies I've worked for had a separate designer, which did nothing but that. Anything that involved coding came to our development department. The designers job was design, layout and user experience only.

Several of the companies I've worked for had a separate designer

My experience differs in that I've only worked for smaller companies/departments where everyone wears multiple hats. Thanks for the alternative perspective. :)

Yea, programming an entirely new language is not something you can do in a week or two. My first language was C++ but this left me mentally unstable and with a compulsive need for optimization so I suggest perl as well. The key part of that statement is "a little bit," not "everything." I never said people should "know EVERYTHING related to the industry."

Thanks,
Jackie

As a web developer, you do not need to know about the actual coding of the backend of a website. However you must be fluent in especially jQuery json, it really helps to know back end scripting, such as php and so on.

However the most important aspect is to know all the bugs with each version of each browser compared to the html and css. I can't stress that point the most.

Considering how Javascript is used in the browser these days, a web designer who can't program is not going to be able to do anything interesting, and won't get paid very much.

also, considering the fact that JavaScript can be disabled by the user, JavaScript on it's own can, but isn't necessarily the "go-to-language" to know.

"you must be fluent in especially jQuery json".. how come? sure, it can come in handy, but saying it's impossible to be a good web designer if you're not fluent in jQuery is a bit of an exaggeration.

I worked on several huge projects in the past (a +- 40 developer team, spending several years) that contained little or no javascript at all.

also, considering the fact that JavaScript can be disabled by the user, JavaScript on it's own can, but isn't necessarily the "go-to-language" to know.

If the user disables Javascript then let the site break. There's no reason not to target the 99.9% of users that aren't self-destructive crackpots.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.