It seems my logon no longer works. I had to create a fake ID in Dazah (whatever the hell that is) to be able to send this message.
Of course, that means I have lost my complete history and mod status.
Sorry Dani, this is a total mess. What are you doing?
I sincerely hope you do not intend to share my real Daniweb logon details with Dazah (whoever the hell they are), because if so we are finished here forever.

The former mod formerly known as JamesCherrill

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Hi,

Your email address was imported into Dazah but not your password. You should be able to do a lost password recovery in order to log back into that account.

And as far as who Dazah is ... well, it's me ;)

Dazah is entirely my creation, owned and operated by DaniWeb LLC. Things are off to a rather buggy start right now but once everything settles down, I'll explain myself in full. In the meantime, I'd love to see you be able to log into your account and stay! :)

In the meantime, check this out: https://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/area-51/threads/502148/future-direction-of-daniweb

Tried password recovery - the email links to an "an error was encountered" web page.

I tried to check out your link, but all I got was "Sorry, but you don't have permission to access the Area 51 forum."

May I respectfully suggest that you roll back urgently to the previous working system before you lose your whole membership, and then consider a phased rollout of the new code when it has been tested properly? It's what any professional would do.

and then consider a phased rollout of the new code when it has been tested properly?

Every. single. line. of. DaniWeb. was. rewritten. from. nothing.

Just by me. Phased rollout is simply not feasable when we're working with just one developer who also has to run the business day-to-day.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit upset but I'm just working off of fumes at the moment, with very little sleep.

I know this isn't the ideal roll-out situation ... believe me, I know it. But I'm working with what I have, at the moment, which is a whole bunch of deadlines imposed by a whole lot of people for a whole lot of business reasons

I thought I'd try again, but it just gets worse...

I tried to log out of my dummy userID so I could re-try resetting my real passowrd, but every time I try to get back to a login screen it just automatically logs me back in using my dummy ID (without any other interaction, which is a totally unacceptable security error)

Obviously I have no idea of the external pressures you are under, but you have a core of long-time DaniWeb contributors (like me) who would be glad to help if given a chance, so killing yourself trying to do it all on your own doesn't sound the best option....

When I tried to set up a Dazah account with the name "Reverend Jim" and this email address I got "Unique value Required" for the email. Just for the heck of it I tried a password resed on rjdegraff@shaw.ca one more time (last time I got an invalid link emailed to me). This time I got to the password reset page and was able to reset my password. After that I went to Daniweb and when I clicked on Login I got the "Daniweb requests access to DAZAH" page and was given "Continue as Jim". When I got the refresh I saw that I was logged in as Reverend Jim. And I don't see any way to access my DAZAH profile.

Clear as mud.

commented: You were luckier than I was. I hope this area gets cleaned up soon. +0

I managed to get the reset password screen by deleting my Daniweb and Dazah cookies. But when I tried to reset the password I got a "email address already exists" error. So I still can't access my account. I guess the only people to benfit from this fiasco are the spammers who will set up new accounts anyway and spam to their heart's delight while your mods are offline.

~for the love of god please reinstate the old DaniWeb so we can go back to helping people.

Take the time to complete the new software, test it properly, put in place the necessary information and guidance screens to help people through the transition, then maybe you can deploy it without driving your loyal users crazy.

Please.

ps - took mutliple tries to post that because it kept saying "human verification required", but there was nothing like that on my screen. Sigh.

pps: what happened to private messaging?

Noob luck ?
I had no problems with anything ,
I clicked on the DANIWEB bookmark and logged in automatically as usual

The login process is just a stupid mess,listen to JamesCherrill and roll back.
Even creating a new account was problem.
Formerly known as: snippsat

The problem is that you are getting "email address already exists" errors when attempting to create a Dazah account because I have already created Dazah accounts based on your preexisting DaniWeb emails on your behalf. Unfortunately, I did not migrate your passwords from legacy DaniWeb into Dazah. (Not yet, anyways). Therefore, currently the only way to log in (without using Google/LinkedIn) is to request a password reset. To compound matters, the password reset link was broken for the first half-day after launch.

I got it when trying to reset the password, NOT when creating a new account.
Anyway, I think I now have a password for my account on dazah BUT I'm not logged in to Daniweb and when I click the logon link it just refreshes the page
@dazahster

Sent from my iPad where I dare not log out to try my real account in case that too locks me out and I'm left with no way to communicate

Good that you are working on the problem.
The whole login process is very unclear,
i don't know if some testing was done before you rolled out new code?
You should know that it's almost required for a big change like this.

You should know that it's almost required for a big change like this.

No "almost" about it. It's required

The whole login process is very unclear,

Every new rollout has bugs. It's to be expected. However, the login/security/privacy bugs need to be dealt with FIRST, BEFORE rolling things out. Not private messaging. Not some algorithm that optimizes directed ads. That can wait a few days. What can't wait is a huge bug like logging in with a single click of the login button without having to provide any credentials and the other password/login issues. There's also an option in Dazah to supposedly revoke the permissions that we granted it. Click on it and it apparently does... nothing.

It says on Dazah that you have 1,134,436 Dazah citizens in the universe. That means you are responsible for keeping safe the personal information of 1,134,436 people. The fact that you would roll out a new system with these blatant unfixed bugs make me wonder what other security bugs you are still working on. Is our personal information safe? Do you respect our right to privacy? Hackers are probing you NOW, as they always probe all new rollouts trying to capitalize on confusion/bugs. Fix the security bugs first.

commented: Had to use a 10 minute email just to do this. This has to hurt! +0

Every new rollout has bugs. It's to be expected. However, the login/security/privacy bugs need to be dealt with FIRST, BEFORE rolling things out. Not private messaging. Not some algorithm that optimizes directed ads. That can wait a few days.

I dealt with login before messaging, and there's still a lot of other stuff waiting because the whole login thing obviously took precedence. Unfortunately, the issue that everyone was running into didn't apply to my account or any of my test accounts.

There's also an option in Dazah to supposedly revoke the permissions that we granted it. Click on it and it apparently does... nothing.

It does exactly what it was designed to do when you revoke access to DaniWeb, which is cut off any communication about you with DaniWeb. However, that doesn't mean that anything changes in the DaniWeb database, what DaniWeb already knows about you, or your DaniWeb cookies.

The fact that you would roll out a new system with these blatant unfixed bugs make me wonder what other security bugs you are still working on. Is our personal information safe? Do you respect our right to privacy?

There are not any outstanding security holes that I know about, and the bug that everyone encountered was not a security hole, per se. What it came down to was that it was denying access to people who shouldn't have been denied access. Not the other way around.

I wrote the post above prior to our interaction in another thread, where a lot of things were clarified by you. I'm satisified with your clarifications and believe that you are in control of security and are being responsible with the personal info entrusted to you. I'm not going to "take back" my post above, given the information available to us at the time, but it does not reflect my current opinion, nor is the permissions revokation problem that I was seeing at one point still there (clicking the revocation link originally did not result even in the text on that page changing as it does now, for me at least).

As for NOW, the Dazah interaction is still a little clumsy for me and I'm getting some error pages. I was trying to recreate it and post a detailed bug report, but Dazah's loading extremely slow for me today (several minute load time, if at all) and it's not my internet connection since everything else is loading fast. I'll try again in a few days after doing the clear cache/history/cookies drill. Yesterday it was doing fine speed-wise.

What it came down to was that it was denying access to people who shouldn't have been denied access. Not the other way around.

Excellent.

I wrote the post above prior to our interaction in another thread, where a lot of things were clarified by you.

Keep in mind that, for the past few days, I have had no clue who I've been talking to, because everyone's been using temporary logins. My fault, of course, but incredibly confusing and annoying none-the-less.

(clicking the revocation link originally did not result even in the text on that page changing as it does now, for me at least).

That was a bug that I fixed yesterday.

Dazah's loading extremely slow for me today (several minute load time, if at all)

There's currently a database locking issue that I'm trying to resolve. When I initially created Dazah, I didn't have plans to put DaniWeb on it right from the beginning. As a result, it's going through tremendous growing pain issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.