I've been a Windows user right from the start and I've seen many problems that resulted in the infamous checking for a solution to the problem. I'm curious. Can anyone tell me if they have ever had an instance where Windows has actually found a solution?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Seen that message many times, never seen a solution.

commented: sorry, I was tempted by the dark side of recursion :D +0

commented: Seen that message many times, never seen a solutioSeen that message many times, never seen a solution. +0

No I've never seen a solution. That's one of the many features of windows that waste the user's time!

Member Avatar for diafol

Only when I drop a connection. Else, about as useful as a chocolate kettle.

I have been a Windows user since version 2.0 and I have never seen "checking for a solution to the problem" to provide any solution. I guess that is a feature, not any actual problem solver ;)

I've had it (temporarily) solve wireless internet connection problems but that is it.

Interestingly enough this just happened to me writing my own C++ code using CodeBlocks where a triangle moves around a GUI using OpenGL. I had a bug/Segmentation Fault, so it crashed, then gave that message, looked for a few seconds, then it went away.

Since it's my code and my bug, there is nothing for Windows to "solve". I've seen similar messages like "This program ended in an unusual manner" (or something like that) when I've had it crash or return a non-zero exit code or any other unhandled, ungraceful "crash" with no information. If I use a C++ assertion runtime check in the code that fails, I get a message like "Assertion failure in line 133", which is helpful to me, but useless to the user other than being able to submit a slightly better bug report than "Windows is looking for a solution".

Thus it must be some default go-to meaningless message that happens for any number of reasons and which Windows almost assuredly CANNOT solve, and it happens only when the developer hasn't coded in a useful error message. It's the equivalent of reporting to the police that you've been muggeed by a man or a woman, race unknown, age unknown, location unknown, and you can't remember when it happened or what he/she stole. I too would be interested if it ever solves anything, and what.

I suppose "Please wait while Windows searches for a solution" is more appeaking than "Please wait while Microsoft scans your computer for all of your personal information".

That was a joke.

Member Avatar for diafol

Switch Windows for Trump and they'll believe you RJ! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.