Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions. I have windows xp home, service pack 2 running on a pentium d cpu 3.20-3.20 with 896 mb of ram it is an OEM system and I have been hearing bad things about OEM systems although I really dont know understand it fully. The first OEM computer I bought refused to turn on it was brand new only seven weeks old. I was told by "the computer shop" that the hard drive had failed and it was replaced by a new one :-|. I have only had minor problems since then and have grown to love my computer.

I was also told it is pointless to have a duel processor if you are running xp home. I am a novice and tryiing to get my head around all of this. Do I have and ok amount of memory on my hard drive? trying to figure out if I am getting the best out of my computer.

Advice and opinions from anyone would be SO APPRECIATED. Trying to learn about computers finding it difficult but good fun.

Thank you
b.bea

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If you like the FSB Dual Core is the way to go. If your planing on Running Paint and IE and Halo.
its not really worth it.
But if you are running a server wile playing halo, useing Skype and Making your PC do your laundry, then Dual Core is the Best thing to work with.
I have Ownd 14 OEM systems 5 of them Had HD Dropouts Some off brand of Westerndigital.
and the other's Exscept 2 of them Lived. the other's Had Bad Ram Chipset Problems.
(all systems went back to there dealers)

Uh, OEM means nothing really.
The letters stand for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". It denotes WHO builds the system, not what the system is.

If Dell sells you a PC they're the OEM, if I build my own I'm one.

that’s Understood. But... None the less, nothing but a problem with me.
like if i get a HP
Normally the Board is MicroATX and the Bios is none updateable. and the Board its self not even the Manufacturer wants to deal with, Because HP bought the Writes for the hardware.
they use Different Hard drives as well.
As with the Same Hp it came with a WD Protégé. Donno what it is withthos, One little Bump and there done.
The Only System OEM Wize i don’t have a Problem with is Dell’s XPS the new one(don't remember the model)
But it comes with a Power Supply you can only get from dell.
You cannot Change out the case for one you like.
The Case Design Prevents you from Changing the Stock Heat pipe CPU heat sink.
OR upgrading the Case cooling at all. Removing any of the Fans for a better flowing set.
Pissis off the Bios, making a Boot stop to let you know one of the fans are unplugged.
there is Also No Setting in the Bios(is not flashable) to Change this

So yes there is a Slight difference.
Between you and them.
the systems you Build have All the room in the world to do what you want with.
Upgrade PSU's where and when you Feel like it From Whoever to whatever WattRange, Change out Cooling Equip for what you want.
Changing Cases and not needing to worry if the Board will Line up with the Case Pins.
Its called i do what i want. and Dell, HP, and all the other's Hate that

But that’s ok. They do it to keep you with them.
If they make something your PC needs and only they have.
You’v got my Point :)

Thats Basicly what i was trying to say.
I understand where your Comming from

I dont like OEM versions either.....

I want the FULL install and not some watered down stuff..

I dont like OEM versions either.....

I want the FULL install and not some watered down stuff..

Couldent agree more

I just found out yesterday that this 98se im on IS AN OEM VERSION!!

That explains why this thing was so bad when we first got this... (The computer repair shop claimed they "lost" ours and gave us this one as a replacement) Thanfully i have fixed her up as much as I can,tweaking things.......

I cant complain too much cause it could of have XP on it and i wouldnt have been happy @ all!!! (Cause this one is in me room)

The other 98se we had WAS NOT AN OEM AND IT WAS 1000X BETTER!! (But my father believed there was a virus on the computer so he took it in for repair (BIG MISTAKE) There wasnt a virus on it,he just doesnt understand some things......

I wonder if the repair shop LIED about losing our box (A chance for them to get rid of this OEM unit.) I wouldnt doubt it one bit!!

I love 98se :)

Why do you love 98?
<.< your freaking me out lol

98se is one of the BEST os's ever released :)

There is absolutely no difference between the OEM W98SE and the W98Se sold with your computer - None. Except in the drivers. Go to the manufacturer of your computer or to the manufacturer of your motherboard, download and install all the drivers, consider updating the BIOS, and you will have exactly the same or better than before.

There is absolutely no difference between the OEM W98SE and the W98Se sold with your computer - None. Except in the drivers. Go to the manufacturer of your computer or to the manufacturer of your motherboard, download and install all the drivers, consider updating the BIOS, and you will have exactly the same or better than before.

Exactly. OEM just means Original Equipment Manufacturer. That means an OEM copy of the software was provided to you by the company that made your computer instead of being bought off the shelf in a box.

The only time I have ever seen this make any difference whatsoever was between Windows 95 version B which was a retail only release, and version C which was an OEM release only. The difference here were the patches included. And was easily resolved by installing the same patches available on Microsoft's website that were included in the C version.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.