ok well heres the scoop: I got a new 120 gig hard drive that im adding to my computer. I plugged it in, got it up and working as a Slave. Win XP sees it and everything, under the Device Manager, but i cant seem to get to assigning it a drive letter and I cant see it under My Computer

So basically i got a harddrive that i cant put anything on yet. I looked under the Administrative tools under Disk Manager and I got the Hard drive Enabled, but i cant seem to get to assigning it a drive letter so that i can see it as another Hard Drive. The status of the New hard drives reads "Unallocated" as opposed to my old HD which reads "Healthy (system)"

can anyone help?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

check on the back of your hardrives to make sure you have the jumpers set right
not to say RTFM but read in the manual about your jumper settings

check on the back of your hardrives to make sure you have the jumpers set right
not to say RTFM but read in the manual about your jumper settings

Negatory on that, good buddy. Windows sees the drive. The drive is there. The drive has no partition information. He needs to create that information. :)

Sethro, you have to partition and format the drive for it to be usable.

Right-click the drive in Disk Management, and click "Create Partition." Use the NTFS allocation, default settings. When that is finished (short time), you will have a ~120 gig partition available to format.

To format, again, right-click the drive, click format (will take a good, long.......long, looooooooong while), and you're golden.

What i like to do it put the windows xp cd in the cdrom.boot from it start to install windows on the new drive .(quick format) then after it has formated and it starts to copy files.I eject xp then press f 3 to quit and restart.Then after windows restarts I just delete and windows folder that is there.

hope this helps :)

be carefull not to mess up your first hard drive while setting the new one up. I had that problem and had to call the guys at http://www.dataleach.com to recover the files for me.

did you make sure to detect the 120 gig hard drive in the bios? sometimes it will automaticly find it but sometimes you have to boot the computer and before the monitor turns you press f1 delete or even on some bioses f2 this will bring you into the bios(basic input/output system) and you then have to go to the hard drive detection icon the bios should then go and look for all the hard drives installed in your computer you shouldn't have to format it if its brand-new because i just bought a 60gig harddrive from compusa and i just poped it in and auto detected it and it worked fine but im also using fat32 with windows xp home but thats a thing to try good luck

guys please try to note the date of topics :)

guys please try to note the date of topics :)

*looks above your post*

Punctuation and coherence are integral as well. ;)

i know this is an old post, but i am just now needing it. my question is....my situation is equal to this...new HDD...wanting to get files from old HDD....putting in as 2nd HDD on "tape" and have slot on 'CS' but XP Pro does not see it in My Computer, Device Manager or Disk Mgmt. Why not? Thanx for the great help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.