Hello, I have a long process with more than 1 hour for finish, and when it finish the internet explorer doesn`t response. Why it occurs? Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Hello, I have a long process with more than 1 hour for finish, and when it finish the internet explorer doesn`t response. Why it occurs? Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Maybe because the process you are talking about takes 1hrs:). Well, by this I mean that whatever you are doing takes 1 hrs probably because its bulky. Due to this Internet Explorer might have stopped responding like any other program. e.g. when you run several and several and several and..... programs once in your system your computer works slowly and sometimes hangs. Maybe thats what has happened to this.

However it would be nice if you could send whatever you were doing and your problem in detail.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Oh yes, submit this thread into Tech Talk forums.

Maybe because the process you are talking about takes 1hrs:). Well, by this I mean that whatever you are doing takes 1 hrs probably because its bulky. Due to this Internet Explorer might have stopped responding like any other program. e.g. when you run several and several and several and..... programs once in your system your computer works slowly and sometimes hangs. Maybe thats what has happened to this.

However it would be nice if you could send whatever you were doing and your problem in detail.

Hello, thanks for your help, my application is a web application that it generate a big pdf that take more than 1 hour for creating it, and when the process is finished the navigator doesn't respond. Do you know if IExplorer have a control when a page is more than 1 hour idle?. Thanks.

1 hour! never in my admitadly short life have I encountered a website that spent an hour loading an object (dynamically created or otherwise)... are you sure that a request->1 hour wait->response system is the correct idea? if the PDF contains time-related data, perhaps it would be better to click a button to start the process, and come back later to download it?

methinks a single HTTP request would timeout if the response took an hour... O_o

We have procedures that take a long time at work...sometimes to the the tune of an hour or two. When it goes on for that long, your browser will time out the HTTP request. How we get around it is to start off the process in its own thread then present the user with a "wait" page that sends off requests now and then to see if the process has completed. Once it has we redirect them to the page they need to be at.

This can be accomplished with straight browser refreshes after x amount of seconds or through asynchronous requests back to the server to check (my preferred way because you don't get annoying screen flickering as the web page refreshes itself and you have to send back a lot less data through the connection to verify the status of the long process).

Locking the browser waiting for a request is generally a bad thing because the user has no idea as to what is going on.

The added benefit of sending off periodic requests is that if you have any sort of session management timeout, this will renew the session while the long process is happening.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.