I've only ever owned windows. I've used macs, and I get the feeling they're great once you're used to the interface, but I'm a gamer and I use windows. Yes, I know you can partition the drive to run windows compatible games, but I don't use the PC that much for multimedia, mainly for games and word processing, so it's not worth the HDD space/effort.

Also I dislike Apple as a company: they force you to buy stuff that's compatible with their stuff, and they don't let you use iTunes songs with other MP3 players, they don't want you to use their OS on anything else, etc.

I've owned a few computers Macs and PCS. I just upgraded my macs but still have 1 PC. Nobody really forces you ... I think of it as buying the right tool for the right job or what you want.. When you get used to the tool in this case the mac... You just use it..and apple just happens to make it ...

Before I retired .. I was carrying firearms ... alot of officers had their favorites ..smith and wesson, colt, HK, Browning, beretta the arguements were on .. and glock came from behind and got everything for awhile ... till the manufacturers built their weapons more like glock... glock was the apple at the time .. It's not the company or model...Its the person that uses it... If a person feel like the product is no good ... It won't work for him... whatever works for you.. works... Its the man or woman behind the tool.

You know .. I've been places that don't have computers or I gotta use whatever.... but I gotta get the job done.... I've had to use a typewriter, whiteout, cut and paste, and a copying machine .. but I got the job done,, I was thanking Underwood, Elmers, Xerox, Liquid Paper and Scotch instead of complaining about them ... and they served me well. The people that were complaining about the old PCs or Apple didn't.. Oh! and I forgot my iPod that so I had to use iTransistor Radio but that was better that no music.

Its a matter of choice ...whatever you want and like for your tools and using them is really what matters :)

It suprises me that Mac isn't the more popular brand. I say that because they are "Computers for Dummies" No offense to Mac fans. But look at this way Mac/OSX is easy and hard to mess up or get viruses... There isn't much of a need to upgrade the hardware as often. The interface is fantastic and everything plug and play actually plays! Most people whom own a PC are idoits don't even know that their mouse has a second button... Or what Spyware is, they just think because there's computer is old it's running slow. IMO -
PC's are the ones that require more maintenace and "Know how"...

For me I'm going to stay PC because I'm all about the tweaking factor . And of course the gaming, and all software that can be gotten for free if you look in the right places. And I'll admit making fun a hardcore mac people is fun sometimes. They are so serious it's hilarious. I 'm aware that the two button mouse thing isn't really an issue for macs but when ever I run into a Mac person I love pointing that out as a "Flaw" just to watch them go nuts.. lol

i wouldnt switch to a mac as i need microsoft office

i wouldnt switch to a mac as i need microsoft office

You can run office on a mac too. In fact, you can run any windows programs on a Mac with Virtual pc, Parralells, Boot camp, and many more I'm sure. Besides, who needs a pc when they can get a mac thet will run all their software.

jb,

I run MS Office 2004 for Mac. That's how I got them to get me the macs for work also... You can read and write mac files from PC-Mac Mac-PC. And the Student/TEacher version is only 149.00 US! Outlook is called Entourage on the Mac. Micorsoft also runs a support site called "Mactopia" for Mac Office Users.

On g4 macs you can also rub DOS and win 98/200O in a prgram called iEmulator (23.00 US) BYOW - Bring your own windows ) and the support staff at iEmulator is pretty cool and always helpful.

I got Parallels for my Intel Macs and iEmulator for the G4s. Ready to exeriment on one Mac for Bootcamp.

Aloha 8)

i got office student for windows

but i need microsoft access i dont think the mac version has it
also i need pocketpc sync ability
and i neeed vb6
and no i dont have an xp cd

But look at this way Mac/OSX is easy and hard to mess up or get viruses...

That's debatable. Some say Macs don't get viruses because they're "so well designed". But there's also the possibility that because Macs aren't as popular as Windows, the malware authors go after Windows instead of Mac OS X. It'd be interesting to see how many viruses Mac would get if they got ahead of Windows in the market share, though.

There isn't much of a need to upgrade the hardware as often.

Yeah, I agree with you. My 10-year old Mac runs just as fast as a brand new PC.

Most people whom own a PC are idoits don't even know that their mouse has a second button...

I don't know about that. Windows is fairly reliant on right-clicking. Actually, it's probably the other way around: Mac users that don't know a second mouse button exists (not that many, but a few people that have never used PCs might think so).

Or what Spyware is, they just think because there's computer is old it's running slow.

What do PCs have to do with this? There will be both morons using Macs and morons using PCs. Using a different operating system doesn't take away the fact that they're still a moron.

Anyway, PC users tend to be more trained than Mac users when it comes to viruses and spyware; Mac users think they're invulnerable - which they're not.

For me I'm going to stay PC because I'm all about the tweaking factor . And of course the gaming, and all software that can be gotten for free if you look in the right places.

Sure... :rolleyes: Like you can get the latest Need For Speed for free, legally. I don't know what you meant by that last statement. But you are right about the customizability, which is a weak side to Macs.

Like the earlier statement in this thread, "Use the right tool for the right job." Macs aren't better than PCs. PCs aren't better than Macs. Each have their flaws and strengths. So my advice is: use them to your advantage.

Joe P Is It ContRIGHTol - CLICK ...I admit ... My duaghter taught me that one to use on my Mac Laptops :) Its nice having teenage IT support :)

I use it all the time .. I just smile when my coworkers say there's no right click or the mac mouse has only 1 button...Joe Have you used the new apple mouses ... when i got my iMac they threw in a printer, more memory, and wireless apple mouse and keyboard. The new mouse has a llttle track ball and extra buttons ... and if you press on the scroll ball thats a button also. The tables turned ... I showed my daughter the features of the New Mouse ...

"Who says you can't teach and old dog, New Tricks!'

"Who says you can't teach and old dog!'

I belive that was Guandi :p

JB,

I think the PCs are more suited for syncing with PDA and Phones.... But I like to take the road less travelled ... or like to do things that people say you can't easily do. It's a challenge for my feeble mind!

I think Neo Office which is is free program has an access program .. I could be wrong .. also we use filemaker pro.

As for the Handtop(Pocket PC or mobile device) check out Markspace Missing Sync ... They are a couple of blocks away from Park HQ in Los Gatos, Ca The program cost 39.00 US.

Another company that I use .. is Datapilot for my phones.

With a little work you can possibly sync you device through bluetooth, usb, .mac or isync... I used to sync my calendars contact and pitures from my palm and phone through bluetooth...icalendar, MS Office and address.

I remember last year I had this trashy 6255i Nokia is used to sync my mac, my palm and the nokia .... the nokia was the only one that gave me some problems .. Oh! and I was also testing a GPS/PDA .. Now that was a bear to sync ...

It was 27 degrees this morning ... but warmer in the water .. Surfs up!

I found another Use for the Computer room ... WARM UP!

Joe P Is It ContRIGHTol - CLICK ...I admit ... My duaghter taught me that one to use on my Mac Laptops :) Its nice having teenage IT support :)

Yep, except it gets confusing when it's application-defined; so sometimes you have to use command-click instead of ctrl-click. This is also true if you use *nix apps that rely on X11.

Joe Have you used the new apple mouses ...

I believe you meant "mice"? ;) Although I don't currently own one, I have seen and played with them at Apple stores before. My opinion on them: they're definitely "cool", and the scroll ball is a nice touch. However, it doesn't offer very much programmability, and most of the features it contains aren't groundbreaking, so if and when I get a mouse to replace my laptop trackpad, I'll probably get a Logitech or Microsoft mouse.

when i got my iMac they threw in a printer, more memory, and wireless apple mouse and keyboard.

I'd probably use it if I had it or got it for free with a deal or something, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. It's what I call a cool-looking mouse that's a bit overpriced. Ironically, that statement is not entirely dissimilar to the iPod.

Sure... :rolleyes: Like you can get the latest Need For Speed for free, legally.

:twisted:

Relax Mr. Programmer, I think you took me a bit to serious, I was just having fun with this old timeless debate.

I work in IT for Law Firm and had an Attorney ask me how to save something to a floppy. When I went explain it to him he said "Just Email me some how to instructions"... Not that this would have been easier on a Mac but the lack "know how" from PC users doesn't suprise me anymore and I have had to explain "right-click" before too.

:cool:

I haven't used a Mac, I only have a very good PC. I must admit that I hate Mac people, not becouse they use Mac but THEY CONSTANTLY BRAG ABOUT THEIR MAC. I heard one guy on my computer lesson (I'm in high school) whining about 1½ hour about "how shitty (sorry for the expression) PCs are" and how good his Mac is :-| . I think Junyah is righ, it's all about the user. I mostly play games so Windows is my choice but if I were an artist I probably go with a Mac. He is not a very advanced computer user so I understand that he likes Mac, but PLEASE quit bragging.

-Stuki

I do understand where your coming from there thats the very reason that i was turned off macs to begin with, however i think both Mac's and PC's both have their advantages which is why i use both.

but macs are very expenisve though...

Joe,

You got your dog at work? Mines sitting outside the office.. she got muddy during the hike ... she saw some ducks and she had to say hi!

I fiddled with the settings on the new mouse ... I'm sure one of the third party guys will write some new software utility..

Hey got any advice for boot camp.. I've been just using parallels

after I got iinished with a hike/fieldtrip. I got this box with a macbook in it ...its from our GIS Unit (I didn't know they use Macs and they're right down the hall)...I gotta split up macbook with the bootcamp and put our GIS Trail/Safety/Maint/Fire/Rescue program on it.. I've been putting it on paralells but I'm experimenting with this on. I got the backpack Trimble Pro GPS taken apart and I'm going to rehouse and ruggedize the Macbook and GPS. Were putting that one into my patrol truck...but it will go from truck to truck ..I think It'll end up on the fire/rescue truck. The situation is we want it to boot up in Windows primarily with the ability to go back to OS X ...I might hook it up to our CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch)...Just got back from shopping ... Foamspray, Neoprene, Plexiglass, foam, and Hardshell cases that will fit the macbook 13 and beeg GPS and beacon position recorrection unit. I'm Making a Macentein... Oh and I got an old iSight that I put in a rifle scope case.

I guess no studio and surf time form me ... I got a deadline of monday.. thats prototype and testing.

Hey Jb,

Cameras and Guitars are expensive :) have you look a the cost of pro nikons or canons..... Or Taylors, Santa Cruz or Martin Guitars.

They cost more that computers.

Mac Mini Loaded is about 799.00 and change US
and iMac 999.00 US

I don't work for apple ... I just have the prices in front of me for a grant I'm writing for a friend of mine for her school.

You know It puzzles me haow the kids use either of the computers PC or MAC but they don't complain about what they use ... and they usually help each other on either computer :)

Hey Lasher ... It took me awhile to get house broken also ...I just couldn't keep that toilet seat down ...LOL

$799 that aught to be like £420ish but mac minis are £699 here for the 512mb model
maybe apple is more expenisve here :(

:cheesy: Hey Joe ... Who was that cartoon cat the used to say "I hate those mieces to pieces". Enlgish is my second language i think ... I speak copspeak, pdgin enlish, Hawaiian, filipino, and spanish...any I type too fast for an old guy.... :)

JB

Man...the price breakdown sucks! Hey ...Im typing to you on my old laptop and my palm... I took them out of the closet to see if they work still... A little slow but theyre old. I can respect that :)

Toshiba 4025cdt P2 and Palm zire 72. and I found out I can mentally and physically can multitask again... Boy, It's a great day!

i do all my postings from my pocketpc. it rocks

ill give u $2 for em

As you can see ...I'm not prejudiced :)

It would be like selling my kids .. what would yo pay for a kid in his terrible twos or a "know it all" rebelious teenager ...

Anyway .. you know ... with these old relics I just typed a quick memo, surfed the web and checked email.... they stilll got it .. My new mac and the 1yr old pc are probably rolling their iEyes and a little bit jealous cuz I'm playing with the old "Has Beens"

I keep the old computers to remind me of poorer times when I took them to work instead..... I think when I get home I'll play with the old ..Mac 7100/80 instead of the new macs..

Its kinda funny two 1/2 years ago ..the Tosh 4025, Palm, 7100, and mac mini were the only things I was using ..I bought the mac mini cuz i wanted to try the macs again..,. the old 7100 was working and about 10-12 yrs old then...

Ok..Lasher ..I'll throw in a box of diapers if you just take the nephew that's 2 for a weekend so I can get some work done..I gotta keep the teenager to work on my computers for me...I'll soak up the cost on that one.. LOL

I'd give you about $400 for the pair plus whatever it costs to get them shipped over here so about $150 less if they can share a box together.

Limited time offer ... I got a Female Ranger for sale now .. she's hi maints, kinda cute, but has a thing for old guys .. Ouch! she just hit me to...can she do that ... guys help me...I'm about to get beat up...okay .. I'm typing Your not for sale and I was just joking! It's lucky were not married. cause I could charge her with abuse ...

Well nice talking to you guys ... she says I can't play anymore .. I gotta ride back with her to HQ... and she smell kinda nice and likes my dog , lucy

(she has some kinda cute friends... guys)

Another One Bites the Dust. Talk to you guys later

Relax Mr. Programmer, I think you took me a bit to serious, I was just having fun with this old timeless debate.

How is one supposed to know what your intention is when you write something? We cannot see your facial expression, so it's impossible to tell. You may have been just joking, but it's also potential flamebait.

I work in IT for Law Firm and had an Attorney ask me how to save something to a floppy. When I went explain it to him he said "Just Email me some how to instructions"... Not that this would have been easier on a Mac but the lack "know how" from PC users doesn't suprise me anymore and I have had to explain "right-click" before too.

:cool:

I fail to see how if that Attorney had happened to be using a Mac, he would have known what a right-click was. He probably wouldn't have needed it, true, but nearly everything on Windows and Mac can be done without right-click, except for some complex programs which require it for functionality.

You got your dog at work? Mines sitting outside the office.. she got muddy during the hike ... she saw some ducks and she had to say hi!

Maybe eventually, but he's still a puppy at the moment, and I prefer for him to stay home right now.

I fiddled with the settings on the new mouse ... I'm sure one of the third party guys will write some new software utility

Perhaps, but although such a utility may be useful and implement features Apple neglected in the Mighty Mouse driver, this kind of program is best left to the creator, and not third parties.

Hey got any advice for boot camp.. I've been just using parallels

I haven't actually installed Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp, although I've tried splitting the OS X partition with Boot Camp Assistant, and installed Linux many times on my Mac.

The partition-splitting is pretty painless, and Boot Camp Assistant allows you to change the layout (ie. the size of each partition) - or remove Windows altogether. Once you've partitioned the drive, you can burn a driver CD and install Windows.

Just so you know, the latest version of Boot Camp (which was released 1 or 2 months ago) has more hardware drivers, including the iSight and sleep mode. I'm sure you'll appreciate that with your MacBook. I wonder how far away an HFS driver for Windows is, or a proper NTFS read/write driver for OS X, as there is some minor compatibility issues between the 2 filesystems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.