Getting "Windows\system32\config\systemd is missing or corrupt" message at boot up after i choose my XP OS at the duel boot screen & its telling me to use recovery council but which CD recovery council windows 2000 CD or XP to fix the problem.....
I m thinking how is a windows 2000 file effect the booting of my XP OS. and how can i the recovery council to fix a file in the WINDOWS directory, since win2k creates WINNT.
The problem happened when I updated win2k. My boot.ini is fine here is it;
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I have one hard drive and two partitions. I also had done a google and check microsoft, the recovery process is there but it does not tell me which CD to use. Help please
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Getting "Windows\system32\config\systemd is missing or corrupt" message at boot up after i choose my XP OS at the duel boot screen & its telling me to use recovery council but which CD recovery council windows 2000 CD or XP to fix the problem.....
I m thinking how is a windows 2000 file effect the booting of my XP OS. and how can i the recovery council to fix a file in the WINDOWS directory, since win2k creates WINNT.
The problem happened when I updated win2k. My boot.ini is fine here is it;
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I have one hard drive and two partitions. I also had done a google and check microsoft, the recovery process is there but it does not tell me which CD to use. Help please
Thanks

what make and model of pc?hp/compaq?

what make and model of pc?hp/compaq?

Sony Vaio PCG-F60k (old school)

I encountered a similar issue on my multi-boot machine.
When I reinstalled Windows 2000 due to some issues I was encountering,
I could no longer boot into Windows XP.
The ntdetect.com and ntldr files in the root of C: (not the Windows folder)
had been overwritten with the Windows 2000 version.
Rename the files to ntldr.old and ntdetect.old and copy them
from the XP installation disk (i386 folder) into the root of C: and then boot the box.
This will hopefully fix your problem - it worked for me.

What it is saying is your windows registry is messed up in paticular its the SYSTEM "hive".

You can get this fixed, but it takes a little know how.

1. You can go to C:\System Volume Information and you will see something like this _restore{EE1E0527-950C-44A1-A082-499FFCAB541A} (example).(remember to backup)

2. then will see files like RP1 RP2 (click on the one that is the closest to the one worked (look at by date)). (remember to backup)

3. Go into the folder then go into the folder called snapshot. Take the file named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM and rename it to system (no .file extension its just "SYSTEM" .(remember to backup)

4. Place that file into your C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder. (remember to backup)

5. reboot. (did you (remember to backup))

(disclaimer) - im not resposinible for you messing your system up or not making backups of files.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.