I have a HP Pavillion ze200 laptop, the motherboard has been burnt out and I need to replace it. I don't know being that I have never done that before if it is easy enough to do or too complicated, or of course is it worth it. Where could I get instructions beforehand if I wanted to do that?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What makes you certain that your mother board is burned out? I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago--when I would start my computer absolutely nothing would happen on screen--I too was certain that it was my mother board--I took it to my dealer/technician expecting to have to replace it but it turned out that my DDR memory had burned out. Simply replacing the memory stick solved all my problems. I wish I could say that my computer works like new (it has all sorts of "standard" bugs) but it certainly works a well as it did before the memery went.
In short--check out your memory before changing the mother board.

You will need a new PC. You cannot put a standard motherboard in an recent HP or Dell case as they are of a nonstandard form-factor and psu pinout.

What makes you certain that your mother board is burned out? I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago--when I would start my computer absolutely nothing would happen on screen--I too was certain that it was my mother board--I took it to my dealer/technician expecting to have to replace it but it turned out that my DDR memory had burned out. Simply replacing the memory stick solved all my problems. I wish I could say that my computer works like new (it has all sorts of "standard" bugs) but it certainly works a well as it did before the memery went.
In short--check out your memory before changing the mother board.

The reason I think the motherboard is burnt out is because there are no lights at all, no sign of life whatsoever. Where is the memory stick located in the computer?

Initially I wasn't aware that you were dealing with a laptop--but that doesn't change the basic issue. I would suggest looking in the site of the manufacturer--they might have a diagram of your model and show you how to get to it. I can only say that it should be hidden behind some screwed-on cover. Before buying a new memory stick, bring in in to some computer store/technician to test it out.
I don't guarantee that my guess is correct, but it's worth a try, considering the alternatives.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.