Hi

I've a masters degree in computer application.I would like to become a database administrator. What should I learn?

and what is the current job market

please advice me

Thanks & Regards
BMP

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

No DON'T do it!

Become a plumber instead. Then your customers will be pleased to see you, the pay is better and the dirtiest things that you have to deal with come crawling out of the sewers. MUCH cleaner & more honest than a career in IT.

I cannot remember what I did to become a DBA. Whatever it was must have been bad, very bad, very VERY bad! I promise I won't do it in my next life.

Hahahaha yeah im in my second year of uni doing computeing and have 3 years of college behind me already and wish i had just become an out of hours plumber :(

Oracle has various certifications you can obtain just like a MCSE. ranging from 1 test up to 5 or more exams.

The entry point would be an ORACLE DATABASE OPERATOR which requires only a single book.

You can buy the exam at amazon, or you can speak with your IT department about letting you start working and they pay for training. Or you can go to a community college in your area and take courses.

If you really like to study, just go Borders in your city and buy a book, and study on your own.

To become a full fledged Database administrator it takes about 5 exams. Hopefully your company can pay for this. or take courses at a community college.

Oracle does offer 1 week onsite crash courses

Hi

I've a masters degree in computer application.I would like to become a database administrator. What should I learn?

and what is the current job market

please advice me

Thanks & Regards
BMP

I m not having much idea abt Database administartion, but yes, i think, you can do oracle certification-DBA. It will be enough to add bullet in ur resume or to attract interviewer/company.

No DON'T do it!

Become a plumber instead. Then your customers will be pleased to see you, the pay is better and the dirtiest things that you have to deal with come crawling out of the sewers. MUCH cleaner & more honest than a career in IT.

I cannot remember what I did to become a DBA. Whatever it was must have been bad, very bad, very VERY bad! I promise I won't do it in my next life.

ha-ha... great advise... But you forgot to mention why you feel this way.

Oracle is only one of several popular database. Getting a certificate in Oracle will do little to nothing for you if you work for a company that has some other database.

To become a DBA you need a few years of practical experience working in a large database shop and your master's degree will get your foot into many doors :) After a couple years you will probably be ready to take on a DBA job.

ha-ha... great advise... But you forgot to mention why you feel this way.

I am sure that all programmers have had some one tell them that programming is easy because they have use access (or something) and there was no problems. Well being a DBA is much more that just driving a database. I have programmers telling me that DB design is easy and anyone can do it. I then spend weeks rebuilding their DBs to get the performance that they need (and told the customer that the system would have) while their application is still running on top of the DB. And naturally the bad design was MY fault despite the advice given at every stage of the project.

Gaining an Oracle, or MS SQL, DBA certificate will not teach you to properly design and implement a system. A BSc or MSc is only a starting point. Experience with a Senior DBA is vital to learn the whole of the profession.

Soon you may get the the wonderful point where you have to do a manual change on a live database (which cannot be taken off line) which has the possibility of crashing the whole DB. If you do it right (after checking, rechecking and checking again) then everyone will just want to know why it took so long. If it goes wrong you get to pack your personal belongings and have a few days to rant at the idiots who put you in that position in the first place.

I think:

1. If you haven't got a job try and get one preferrably in the IT department of a company that has in house DBA support any system will do, mysql, oracle, ms sql.
2. After your probation is over and you are settle, you can start showing interest in that area (dont be too pushy).
3. Which ever system they use in house read the trade magazine(s) for that system (made for interesting conversation with the DBA - sucking up but such is life sometime).
4. IF over time you see this is not going any where leave before you get comfortable.

This is my too spence.

damn i'm so not gonna be doing DBA as a subject for my bcs lol

Guys,
What's the difference between a SQL Dev and a DBA. I've seen description online that pretty much match both categories.
I've been doing data analysis for a while pretty involved in creating view and cubes for web analitics and stuff but I really wan to step forward to a SQL Dev or something more interesting

Guys,
What's the difference between a SQL Dev and a DBA. I've seen description online that pretty much match both categories.
I've been doing data analysis for a while pretty involved in creating view and cubes for web analitics and stuff but I really wan to step forward to a SQL Dev or something more interesting

There is a difference but it depends on the size of the company. A DBA maintaines the system making sure the system continue to work, check logs, make sure jobs are run, setup privilegs, etc.

For Developers the line is not that clear, because you are expected to know another language e.g. C#, VB(if it is Ms. SQL) this also help to make you more marketable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.