Is there any proof that graphical links don't weigh as much as text link ads do?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is there any proof that graphical links don't weigh as much as text link ads do?

Doesnt the "alt" attribute compensate for the fact that anchor text is missing I could be wrong though. Another thing graphic links usually bring in more actual visitors as compared to text ones. In my personal opinion it should even out in the end.

The "alt" attribute has always been designed for text-based browsers and accessibility utilities such as text-to-speech for the blind, etc.

Ok I researched a little and I was wrong about alt attribute, Graphic links do pass on PR like any other link but unfortunately you do not get the benefits of the anchor text which basically is the most important thing in SEO as it to a certain extent determines your keywords.

So you lose the benefit of the keyword ranking but they pass just as much PR? The reason for my concern is because the link to my Link Directory used to be in the form of a text link and now it's in the form of a graphical link. It's a PR7, and I think that's awesome for a directory, and I don't want it to go down at the next PR upgrade solely as a result of it not being text.

So you lose the benefit of the keyword ranking but they pass just as much PR? The reason for my concern is because the link to my Link Directory used to be in the form of a text link and now it's in the form of a graphical link. It's a PR7, and I think that's awesome for a directory, and I don't want it to go down at the next PR upgrade solely as a result of it not being text.

You will not loose any PR from a link as a graphic as I said its still a link and PR will be channelled through it, the only difference is that the advantage of anchor text you get will be gone and anchor text has nothing to do with PR of your page, it is concerned with keywords your site is optimized for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.