Trying to get a general idea of how many keywords people other than myself generally target for a single PPC ad campaign.

How does it affect your CTR? What is your "rule of thumb?"

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Trying to get a general idea of how many keywords people other than myself generally target for a single PPC ad campaign.

How does it affect your CTR? What is your "rule of thumb?"

I will never recommend using many keywords in an ad group- just because its too hard to keep your targeting tight with this many words. I actually recommend keyword lists as small at 10-15 keywords

I use thousands upon thousands of keywords, split across about 250 ad groups. Each of DaniWeb's 100 forums has about 2-3 ad groups. For example:

Forum being targeted: Networking
Ad Group: Networking - Routers
Keywords: router, routers, routing, using routers, about routers, with routers, configuring router, linksys router, cisco router, etc
Ad Group: Networking - Switches
Keywords: switch, switches, switching, using switches, about switches, with switches, configuring switches, linksys switch, cisco switch, etc

I'm not saying I actually use those exact keywords. That's just the general idea of what I do.

I think this really depends on the size of the company and the budget. If you want tons of traffic than you target lots of keywords. If you are a niche company that target only highly targeted keywords that will convert.

It depends purely on the company and the keywords that you find. For some of my campaigns I've just targeted one keyword per PPC advert and had very good results.

Thank you everyone for your input! Very helpful :D

Really, All it depends upon your product; According to that what are the probabilities
may be for like low competitive keyword or high competitive keywords whatever the case may be.

In my opinion, Its not having any problem with your word count, Depends upon how much keywords you can target for your campaign. The main thing you need to bother for is relevancy of your keywords related to your business. More over that You can try for making keyword phrases that may help your keyword counts less and optimizing for more keywords by this way.

as many as you can..I recommand checking your competitors keywords and find as many as you can, including "long-tail' phrases

Actually its totally depends upon ppc campaign nature. I always try to put all similar keywords together.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.