I have noticed that some websites that rank well in SERPS make their keywords anchor text throughout their webpage. a good example is << url snipped >>.

Does linking your keywords like that webpage does, give you a better chance of getting in the SERPs than one that does not use anchor text?

The reason I am asking is, because if anchor texting your keywords is better, than would it not be smart to anchor text all of your keywords, but use CSS to change the hyperlinks back to the same color as your text without an underline, so it looks just like normal text. Then no one would know the word in the paragraph of text is a link unless their mouse went over that keyword accidentally in the paragraphs.?

and yes, i do know that it is all about providing quality content to your users, rather than using tricks to get to #1 in the SERP's. otherwise you will never convert users into customers.

just want to know if i have found a hidden tactic.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have noticed that some websites that rank well in SERPS make their keywords anchor text throughout their webpage. a good example is << url snipped >>.

Does linking your keywords like that webpage does, give you a better chance of getting in the SERPs than one that does not use anchor text?

The reason I am asking is, because if anchor texting your keywords is better, than would it not be smart to anchor text all of your keywords, but use CSS to change the hyperlinks back to the same color as your text without an underline, so it looks just like normal text. Then no one would know the word in the paragraph of text is a link unless their mouse went over that keyword accidentally in the paragraphs.?

and yes, i do know that it is all about providing quality content to your users, rather than using tricks to get to #1 in the SERP's. otherwise you will never convert users into customers.

just want to know if i have found a hidden tactic.

Well this is not so much as a trick as it is a clever way to get weighted a bit more with your words.

However when I say more you are talking .01 of the algo with this and would probably more work then it was worth.. well not really work.. but you know what I mean.

Just getting the right titles and proper content maximized throughout your content will yield the results you seek.

Anchor text on your page canot be abused or it will trigger the spam filters on the SE's. Your keywords can be highlighted to the SE's by bolding them and italisizing them also. MSN seems to lean more towards this than say Google who relys more on relvant linking and PR. In all things dont over do it or you'll be a spammer :-(

Check out the book in my sig for more in depth info...

is it really that hard to stick to basics? !!!!!!!!

This is not really a trick but rather a well known spammy strategy that most likely is a waste of time.

To stray off topic a bit,

Does modifying an H1 tag from its original native form using CSS to fit the scheme of your web site provide SE value? Well, this question was asked to Tim Mayer of Yahoo at SES Chicago 2005. The official stance is: no comment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.