Hi there,

Well, I learned something new today :)

I just recently started my affiliate program about a year ago, & since I don't have an experienced affiliate manager, I am learning slowly rather than quickly.

Anyway, I just recently noticed that one of my affiliates had their domain pointing to my site & I got upset, b/c I never gave him him permission to do that.

At first I was using the words "copy", which he was focusing on to avoid taking responsibility for what he was doing & then I realized he wasn't really "copying" my site per say, but I still feel it is unethical, certainly lazy, if not a violation of copyright laws.

Then someone pointed out that maybe Google or other SEs could penalize me b/c his domain is actually forwarded to my site & then the affiliate URL is cloaked.

Does anyone have the answer to this as to whether Google would penalize and/or whether he is actually in violation of copyright laws?

I'd love to hear from another company where this happened to their affiliate program & what they did.

Thank you

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You may receive a duplicate content penalty by them forwarding their domain to your site.

Since they did it without your permission you should ask them to remove it immediately. If not, use the DMCA to have their site taken down.

Thank you, but another MB has been helping me already & the guy took it down.

Now he's registered my domain name w/ an "s" in it <sigh>

exoticspublishing instead of mine which is exoticpublishing

Michelle

You may receive a duplicate content penalty by them forwarding their domain to your site.

Since they did it without your permission you should ask them to remove it immediately. If not, use the DMCA to have their site taken down.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.