This is kind of strange... I have been running a site for about three years now and was having a tough time getting any kind of rank at all. My homepage still is rated 1 by google.

Here is the weird part... I recently added more to the site and 4 of the pages I added are ranked 3... almost instantly. I'm in no way complaining just wondering how that happens.

Has anyone else here noticed pages having wild fluctuations in ranking?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This is kind of strange... I have been running a site for about three years now and was having a tough time getting any kind of rank at all. My homepage still is rated 1 by google.

Here is the weird part... I recently added more to the site and 4 of the pages I added are ranked 3... almost instantly. I'm in no way complaining just wondering how that happens.

Has anyone else here noticed pages having wild fluctuations in ranking?

I am not sure why this has happened, I have seen some posts on other forums where new pages went from "0 to 3+" with little effort on the July 13 PR update. I have also seen posts where some web sites reported lost PR. So what happened to you has been reported by others. Is your home page PR higher or lower than these new pages? Were these pages linked to directly from the home page?

There are some theories that PR affects the frequency and how your site gets crawled.If the new pages were linked directly from the home page, then they may have been crawled more frequently than the others. There have been some theories thrown around that the number of pages indexed by the googlebot has something to do with the PR of the page. For example, if your page is a PR4, the googlebot will go 3 links deep, if it is a pR 6, the bot will go 4-5 links deep. Again this is all theory... Given your situation, it sounds like you may have a good baseline enviornemt to test the theory out.

What would really be interesting to know is if you have seen a jump in traffic on those pages that got PR vs traffic to your other pages that didn't get the PR update.

Morty

Homepage is ranked lower than the new pages... There is a link on the homepage to the new pages and vice versa... As a matter of fact, most pages are linked from the homepage, thats why I find it so odd that the new ones get a high rank. I am seeing higher hits but its to the entire site not just the higher ranked pages.

Now here is something even stranger...
I started an entirely new page on a free server about a month ago almost as a joke and its ranked 2 already... It kind of disheartens me to see my actual homepage ranked so low for so long and then have a 1 page site that I erected some 30 days ago jump to 2 over night.

But again... who can complain...
Thanks for your reply.

it might be possible that your new pages are not linking back to the homepages, and your homepage is linking to all your pages but the target pages do not? not sure though...

might also be possible that your homepages has many outgoing links...

Google PR has been very erratic lately.

Do not worry it comes back on its own.

Google PR has been very erratic lately.

Do not worry it comes back on its own.

Google just updated its PR. It won't be changing again for three months or so. Cases like this are difficult to get an explanation for. Fortunately it is not important in the general scheme of things so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Worry is all I do... I'm married :D

is the PR normal?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.