What are some good free directories that I can submit some of my sites to? I have all different categories of websites. Is there anything I should watch for when submitting to a free directory that would have a negative effect on my seo for these sites? None of these sites rank yet I am just trying to get them crawled for now but in the future is there anything I would want to watch out for? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Go to http://www.isedb.com/. It is a directory of directories.

And submitting to directories is never a bad thing and will never hurt you. To make sure you get the most from your listings do the following:

1) Start by submitting to directories that entirely related to your website. When you have submitted to all of those feel free to submit to any directory that has an appropriate category for your website.

2) Be sure to submit your site the the category that you want to rank well for. If the topic of a page is same as the keywords you want to rank well for links from that page will weigh more then from off-topic pages.

3) If possible, use keywords in your site's title. This is usually hyperlinked and plays an important factor in Google algorithm.

4) Write a description for your listing that includes keywords you want to rank well for.

Go to http://www.isedb.com/. It is a directory of directories.

... and make sure you have your credit card handy 'cause you're gonna' probably be needin' it often.

Red green always used to say something to the effect of "If you can't be good lookin', ya' might as well be handy." that's all I'm doing. Just doin' my part to save the reader a trip to her purse or wallet before they got all caught up and excited in choosing within the suggested directories of directories. I'm sure there will be no trouble from the directories' side; they usually are much obliged for your business, much obliged. Just doing my part to help out, help someone save a little bit of time. A guy like me is pretty handy to have around I would think; offering helpful suggestions such as the one above.

Have you even looked at their website and directory? There are a lot of free directories in isedb.com's directory. It's a natural place to start when looking for directories to submit to. Heck, you might even find a pay directory that you feel is worth the money to submit your site to. I haven't seen one yet, but I know a few people who have.

What are some good free directories that I can submit some of my sites to? I have all different categories of websites. Is there anything I should watch for when submitting to a free directory that would have a negative effect on my seo for these sites? None of these sites rank yet I am just trying to get them crawled for now but in the future is there anything I would want to watch out for? Thanks!

I don't think any directory can have a NEGATIVE effect on a site, but many of them could have a zero effect on your website (i.e. - they do not pass on PageRank and do nothing except waste your time).

You might check out the Info Vilesilencer website:

http://info.vilesilencer.com/

Dan does a good job of listing free, SEO-friendly, directories. You could go onto several webmastering forums (such as SP and DP), where directory owners present their new directories and solicit website submissions; however, Dan is usually on several of these forums himself, and updates his list about once a month. So you could save yourself the trouble of visiting a bunch of forums, and just keep an eye on the Info Vilesilencer website for updates.

A couple other features:
1) If you sign up for an update e-mail, Dan will send you an e-mail whenever the list has been updated (about once a month).
2) If you don’t want to wait for each month’s update, check out the Info Vilesilencer forums. In these forums, directory owners present their new directories and solicit website submissions. So, by watching those forums, you’ll learn of new directories immediately.

Regards,

David

Can even pick up your own SEO Friendly Certification Button while your there; would look mighty professional on an SEO expert's web site.

Just thought I'd help any search engine optimizers out there wanting to appear like theys' a happy, smiley, people pleasin' Internet marketing corporate image type. Just like to help m' neighbour that's all. Hope it helps!

Shoot. Get the whole family around the computer and watch Mom shop for links too. Make it a regular night where everyone takes turns picking links for the family business web site. Nice friendly light blues and yellow web sites too most of 'em. One I looked at had a really nice dog, cutest long eared thing. All kinds of people with really great teeth too. Safest lookin' places in the world to do some link shopping I would think. I'm gonna' see if I can get the grannies over at the bingo in on a real big link buildin' party next Saturday afternoon. I suppose I better pick up some extra toilet paper for that.

So don't forget to pick up the button. Should be seeing lots more like those around soon; that'll make 'em all feel like a part of something bigger.

I don't think any directory can have a NEGATIVE effect on a site, but many of them could have a zero effect on your website (i.e. - they do not pass on PageRank and do nothing except waste your time).

As long as they are not actively blocking the links to your site from the search engines (e.g. rel='nofollow') and you are listed on an on-topic page, you will benefit from the link. It might not be "of great value" but it all adds up.

You might check out the Info Vilesilencer website:

That's a good resource.

thanks for the links...it's really a big list for me...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.