I took the big plunge and finally got up enough courage to do what I've been wanting to do for a very long time now ... rename /techtalkforums/ to just /forums/. I've set up 301 redirects and updated my Google sitemap. Is there anything else that I should to to make sure I'm good to go?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

why change it when it worked ? as the old saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it"

There'll be a hit while Google catches up the the change but that's all you can really do.

why change it when it worked ? as the old saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it"

All the same reasons why we ditched the techtalkforums.com domain name ... too long-winded, etc.

I suppose yeah, it is better.

For anyone who is afraid to do this ... it's worth it, don't be scared. Only 8 days later, all of the new URLs are appearing in google's index, and there has been no noticable decrease in traffic. I'm happy :)

I think the speed with which this happened is directly related to the strength of your website. Smaller sites would be looking at a much longer transition period and almost certainly a lapse in the SERPs.

Guess it pays to be big. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.