I belong to a number of Linkedin groups and I was wondering about starting one under the auspices of one of my client as a way of creating an advisory group/channel for new opportunities. Has anyone started a Linkedin group and what were your results?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Though I have never started one, I have known a few people hwo have started one and they claim it has helped them professionally. Also, I went to a career event a few months ago where the career coach strongly advocated about creating a LinkedIn group. My observation has been that the majority of posts on many of these LinkedIn groups I belong to are all promotional and none are really stirring any conversation. Just my two cents.

I agree with InsightsDigital, I think alternatively you should create a blog that should meet your objectives.

Though I have never started one, I have known a few people hwo have started one and they claim it has helped them professionally. Also, I went to a career event a few months ago where the career coach strongly advocated about creating a LinkedIn group. My observation has been that the majority of posts on many of these LinkedIn groups I belong to are all promotional and none are really stirring any conversation. Just my two cents.

While I have seen a number of posts that are promotional in nature there are many groups on Linkedin that really do have some good threads running through them, mainly because the people who are members are some of the top people in their area's of expertise. As with everything else, you have to hunt around to find the gold among the dross.

For the purposes of the group I am thinking of starting on behalf of my client, I am hoping to drive traffic to their website in one of two ways. The first is direct as the group will be started by a principal in the company. The second is to use the group to showcase snippets from the blog, and if they go to the blog they may be compelled to visit the corporate site. As it is free to set up it really is a cost efficient way to create some buzz hopefully.

Even though it is more group related rather than business, I recommend you to check out these two LinkedIn groups - BrandHackers and Ultra Light Startup. These two groups include links to posts and I know it has helped these two groups gained more professional exposure.

I actually attended an Ultra Light Startup pitch party during internetweekny and I was really impressed by the whole concept. I will definitely check these groups out. Thank you.

I actually attended an Ultra Light Startup pitch party during internetweekny and I was really impressed by the whole concept. I will definitely check these groups out. Thank you.

I may have met you at ULS events. I was there as well. You can create a startup on a shoestring budget. :-D

I may have met you at ULS events. I was there as well. You can create a startup on a shoestring budget. :-D

Small world indeed. I was amazed at some of the companies that were there presenting but some were just odd. There was one website that was focused on Pickles. Funny stuff and everyone got a good laugh but that is the type of site that could end up exploding if it gets enough traffic and Vlassic or another pickle manufacturer (it there are any) decide to sponsor or advertise on the site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.