I just read a story that the Wall Street Journal is looking into setting up a Linkedin-type social network to compete with Linkedin. They did try to set up an on-line community in 2008 but it has failed miserably. This time could be different. Their initial attempt to set-up an online community was a half-hearted attempt to grab a piece of the social networking explosion. It was originally intended for their subscribers only. However, as NewsCorp owns the WSJ and they are not ones to accept a failure and walk away, I think they will build a robust community that will be able to offer some content that Linkedin cannot. What do you think and would you participate if it is comparable to Linkedin?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Thaks for brining this one up for discussion. I personally have given WSJ online community a try a few times and each time, it did not retain me for the long term. Why? Reasons were:
1. I forgot I even had it.
2. When I did get a reminder - in one case, it was literally a year later, I did update the profile and engaged for that week but I did not find it much value
3. Not much people or activity

I do like WSJ and read its paper. I will give it another try if it provides as much or more than LinkedIn.

Thaks for brining this one up for discussion. I personally have given WSJ online community a try a few times and each time, it did not retain me for the long term. Why? Reasons were:
1. I forgot I even had it.
2. When I did get a reminder - in one case, it was literally a year later, I did update the profile and engaged for that week but I did not find it much value
3. Not much people or activity

I do like WSJ and read its paper. I will give it another try if it provides as much or more than LinkedIn.

I think the keys will be promoting it (I had heard about the original WSJ community but it was not much of a publicity push) and putting extras and functionality in that is equal to and/or exceeds Linkedin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.