It has long been true that if you want a really good looking resume you would go to a professional resume writer or resume service and they would wordsmith and massage your education, experiences and accomplishments into a masterpiece.

Last week it was reported on Mashable that Harris Interactive, on behalf of CareerBuilder.com, surveyed 2,500+ HR professionals and learned that 45% are using social networking sites to research job candidates. An additional 11% are planning to implement social media screening in the near future.

I think that these results will give birth to a new social network service where people will seek out social network presence groomers to make them look good for prospective employers. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yes, this has actually happened to me 3 years ago with my Myspace page. Also, a friend of mine attended a medical school open house. The Dean of admission actually stated that many medical applicants who were interviewed were rejected solely based on their facebook page. The instructor at Kaplan recommended applicants to delete their Facebook page. These medical schools were able to access even those Facebook profiles that are private. I have heard that schools and HR professionals have this type of access.

I do not think so, if a company wants to hire employees then it would like to visit the job sites rather than facebook
it is really ridiculous...

I do not think so, if a company wants to hire employees then it would like to visit the job sites rather than facebook
it is really ridiculous...

Totally agree with you.

Its really funny ,
if a company wants professional they ll seek them through their resumes not by facebook or orkut..

To vincent, reshmi and rogi...

You can say it is ridiculous and funny but the reality is that it is happening. Having worked closely with the HR department of one of my larger employers, this practice would go along with the practice of searching resumes of current employees looking for people who may have worked previously with a job candidate and ask an opinion. Not exactly scientific but it is done.

I agree with MktgRob. I have worked closely with HR professionals as well and I have heard it first had. I hate to break it to you guys, but it is standard practice. In today's transparent social media society, looking into someone's Facebook page is commonplace.
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/16696

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.